Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Two words: Machine Learning  (Read 5082 times)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
Two words: Machine Learning
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:35:46 pm »

After seeing how Google's AI beat one of the best Go players out there, I have two questions. Is it possible to teach an AI how to play Dwarf Fortress, and two, who wants to do it?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two words: Machine Learning
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:58:43 pm »

Wasn't there a DFHack plugin for that already? I gotta check.

e: yeah, here it is https://github.com/BenLubar/df-ai

macscarfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:45:22 pm »

Sadly this being Dwarf Fortress i think we'll get the other extreme of machine learning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35890188

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:17:39 pm »

Hopefully this being Dwarf Fortress i think we'll get the other extreme of machine learning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35890188
Fixed that for you.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 02:25:36 am »

Wasn't there a DFHack plugin for that already? I gotta check.

e: yeah, here it is https://github.com/BenLubar/df-ai

That's just an AI, no learning involved.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:57:29 am »

I feel like you could just email this thread to Google and one of them would get on it, either for fun or as an official project.  Kind of the same way I think that if we sat down and showed this game to JJ Abrams he would immediately get started on Dwarf Fortress the movie. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

wouldn't it be weird having an animated ASCII movie?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 03:10:19 am »

With the right lighting, music and camera movement I'm sure the full range of emotions could be drawn out of a dwarf smily-face.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 04:30:27 am »

With the right lighting, music and camera movement I'm sure the full range of emotions could be drawn out of a dwarf smily-face.
At least the range of emotions cant be worse than Anakin's emotions in Attack Of The Clones...
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 07:32:41 pm »

I feel like you could just email this thread to Google and one of them would get on it, either for fun or as an official project.  Kind of the same way I think that if we sat down and showed this game to JJ Abrams he would immediately get started on Dwarf Fortress the movie.
But, how could you judge how well it's learning? It could spend the first few years generating the perfect world and tweaking raws (like some players surely do...) without ever starting up the game. Is that success?

How about "Learn to play the game and be able to report on it's own adventures by being able to judge what the community would think is a pretty cool story." Now that's a challenge I'd like to see an AI attempt one day. Much more impressive than playing Go by itself a billion times.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:43 pm »

But, how could you judge how well it's learning? It could spend the first few years generating the perfect world and tweaking raws (like some players surely do...) without ever starting up the game. Is that success?

How about "Learn to play the game and be able to report on it's own adventures by being able to judge what the community would think is a pretty cool story." Now that's a challenge I'd like to see an AI attempt one day. Much more impressive than playing Go by itself a billion times.

I'm sorely tempted to try and figure out how this stuff works but I can't help but feel it would take much longer than I'd be willing to work on.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »

That sounds far, far beyond our current understanding of artificial intelligence, js.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:51 am »

I think that the more humans play with actual artificial intelligience the closer we get to skynet(I don't know for sure what skynet is, but I think it's created by evil robots with A.A.I)
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »

Other way round Pikachu.

Also, this would be pretty cool.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »

anytime people bring up terminator in discussions of AI I just imagine them bringing up the jetsons in matters of architecture

it's really about the same thing
Pages: [1] 2