Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1416852 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #735 on: October 20, 2016, 06:27:44 am »

Why 7 dwarves, a theory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 20, 2016, 06:51:58 am »

Why 7 dwarves, a theory:

The reason is Snow White
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:27 am »

Why 7 dwarves, a theory:

The reason is Snow White

And other Tolkein references, and for all I know there might be something in Norse mythology vaguely in the vein. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »

I was cruising around and i just stumbled upon this REALLY old comment.

Point taken,
Now let's get back on topic.
If you enabled an envoy system you could easily contact those tribes with worthy fighters. This way you could send envoys with gifts and tributes, while getting some contracted mercenaries, with demands but prone fighting skills.

Question for toady - If animal people get any more kind of definition in the future law war and diplomacy releases, would you forsee using diplomats or volunteers to establish contact to foster friendly relations with future benefits, given that underground civilisations whilst having no real structure are still recognised as entities (behind the scenes in the program file logs where all the underground types are listed)

Quote from: scenario 1
The diplomat has successfully delivered your gift of sweetbreads and ale, the tigermen of the hills of mourning are - pleased!
- Diplomatic status change - Open borders (This civilisation will now frequent your locational taverns)

Quote from: scenario 2
The hostile (large carnivore modifier) lion men of the serene plains greet your diplomat and press that he speaks quickly
- Your dwarf decides to tell a story (with barely any stats, resulting in a pityful droning bore)
- The lion men are unimpressed and commence combat, your diplomat is struck down.
- Diplomatic status change - War

Alternative question

Do you hold any particular thoughts the outpost liasion being re-worked or summarily expanded in the future releases, given that the artifact update will allow dwarves to leave the map with purpose. ((!warning suggestion like content!) as to say you could literally send off a dwarf on a literal death-trip though thousands of miles of terrain to call for help of the dwarven army if your civ cares enough to even send it that far or even cares about your settlement falling in general without relying on a outpost liaison.)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 20, 2016, 02:24:05 pm »

I was cruising around and i just stumbled upon this REALLY old comment.

Point taken,
Now let's get back on topic.
If you enabled an envoy system you could easily contact those tribes with worthy fighters. This way you could send envoys with gifts and tributes, while getting some contracted mercenaries, with demands but prone fighting skills.

Question for toady - If animal people get any more kind of definition in the future law war and diplomacy releases, would you forsee using diplomats or volunteers to establish contact to foster friendly relations with future benefits, given that underground civilisations whilst having no real structure are still recognised as entities (behind the scenes in the program file logs where all the underground types are listed)

Quote from: scenario 1
The diplomat has successfully delivered your gift of sweetbreads and ale, the tigermen of the hills of mourning are - pleased!
- Diplomatic status change - Open borders (This civilisation will now frequent your locational taverns)

Quote from: scenario 2
The hostile (large carnivore modifier) lion men of the serene plains greet your diplomat and press that he speaks quickly
- Your dwarf decides to tell a story (with barely any stats, resulting in a pityful droning bore)
- The lion men are unimpressed and commence combat, your diplomat is struck down.
- Diplomatic status change - War

Alternative question

Do you hold any particular thoughts the outpost liasion being re-worked or summarily expanded in the future releases, given that the artifact update will allow dwarves to leave the map with purpose. ((!warning suggestion like content!) as to say you could literally send off a dwarf on a literal death-trip though thousands of miles of terrain to call for help of the dwarven army if your civ cares enough to even send it that far or even cares about your settlement falling in general without relying on a outpost liaison.)

Generally speaking, everything that involves dwarves taking independent decisions outside a fort is pretty touchy
We'll actually get a taste of that in the next release with NPC adventure parties, but I think we need some several psychology updates to affect behaviour before its reliable
Apart from that, everything I read from your post amuses me deeply, please do a suggestion about it

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 20, 2016, 04:42:50 pm »

I think that, instead of just sending him out, you should be able to act through your diplomat like you can act through your settlement leader for trade.

Just send them to a location. If they're interrupted, they're interrupted and you need to get your diplomat out of the situation. If they reach the intended destination, you can negotiate, view trade agreements and relations, check on ethical disagreements and artifact/relic conflicts, etc.

This information would go in the 'Civilizations' tab that already exists. The information is updated every time you visit a certain civilization's settlement.

I guess you could get more information with a more skilled envoy, but that seems like a bit much for now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 20, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »

I think that, instead of just sending him out, you should be able to act through your diplomat like you can act through your settlement leader for trade.

Just send them to a location. If they're interrupted, they're interrupted and you need to get your diplomat out of the situation. If they reach the intended destination, you can negotiate, view trade agreements and relations, check on ethical disagreements and artifact/relic conflicts, etc.

This information would go in the 'Civilizations' tab that already exists. The information is updated every time you visit a certain civilization's settlement.

I guess you could get more information with a more skilled envoy, but that seems like a bit much for now.

Already verging on suggestion like talk, arguably just letting the dwarf do its own thing with minimal input rather than a possibly stressful/frustratingly annoying mini-game (or atleast have it self resolve without further reason the path is blocked/major interruptions) with just a message in memory or paper is straightforward and what i was driving towards.

The additional touched of more civilization screen options is nice. Also remember that the outpost liason sometimes walks alone through warzones bogeymen and rogue megabeasts to tell you how much the mountainhomes demand cheese literally every year usually without fault (even with cushy holdings and presumably a infinite drink tab in every province bordering 20 tiles of the capital by royal decree)

Generally speaking, everything that involves dwarves taking independent decisions outside a fort is pretty touchy
We'll actually get a taste of that in the next release with NPC adventure parties, but I think we need some several psychology updates to affect behaviour before its reliable
Apart from that, everything I read from your post amuses me deeply, please do a suggestion about it

I did jump the gun a little, but zach and tarn very much look foward, so im just catching their ideas they have stewing while its hot in their minds or atleast warming up forumatively. May or may not reveal any real conclusive answer but that's my approach. Suggestion maybe but if memory serves it's already done and mentioned before in some way or form. Im glad you enjoyed it.

In my own mind every respectable dwarf monarch has a small list carved in somewhere either on their throne room or their trinkets with their favourate alcoholic beverages with the names attached of the provinces that contribute the most of them. To sort out the et prius i would imagine.

Dwarf Refugee - M'lord i have travelled a long way, i bring a dire news that after their sacking of nearby villages the goblins are now at war and besieging my home province. I came as fast as i could.
Dwarf Monarch - Be at ease, those green savages will get what they deserve, what lies within this mighty standard of dwarven civilisation
Dwarf Refugee - Um, a moderately sized dirt fortress ontop of a aquifer, surrounded by evil forests and a small roadside tavern where a 1 armed tuneless bard sings in a duet with a mule, it is also infested with keabirds and nudist cannibal elf cult.
*The dwarf monarch squints for a moment, then leans over his chair to look at a inscription finely carved into their throne by generations of literate scribes because its easier since Ulrist the Illiterate accidentally signed off a mandate for '10 bars of iron made from pigs' during his short reign*
Dwarf Monarch - Its name?
Dwarf Refugee - Treehugger the night of solace
Dwarf Monarch - Dont trawl elf tongue into my court and try my patience, the province, not the mule.
Dwarf Refugee - Joint-Towers
*Joint towers - Excellent quality apple cider - 50 barrels a month is scribbled down,  with a look of shock the dwarf monarch rises out of their seat suddenly*
Dwarf Monarch -Rally! We march on jointowers to defend our race and then celebrate!"

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 20, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »

I guess what I said can be seen as suggestion talk, but I was hoping for it to be interpreted more as what I think to be an effective implementation of an envoy ability.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:51 pm »

I guess what I said can be seen as suggestion talk, but I was hoping for it to be interpreted more as what I think to be an effective implementation of an envoy ability.

Still a suggestion at the end of the day, topically not about things that are implemented, though i do like it a lot the more i read it personally and it ties into my original question very well.

I guess the tarn brothers would really need some kind of "Urist paperboy" kind of quest dev model in which a dwarf has to throw platinum bars inscribed with messages at their neighbours from the back of a minecart - balance distributing news back and forth in order to manipulate the world into a objective (such as pointing and driving a dwarven army all over the place with possibly a bit of palm greasing by a portly human merchant to send them the wrong way) for some kind of game goal like *this healthbar establishes the defence of the realm, drive the dwarf army towards the goblin army by telling them directions while making as much gold on the side as you can, every town destroyed hurts your lifebar, spending gold fixes towns, deviants and goblins pay more than dwarves for accurate directions*

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 22, 2016, 12:59:07 am »

Somewhere down the line, do you think we'll be able to fully-domesticate animals for our civ? Either as an adventurer, or as a fortress.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 22, 2016, 01:17:03 am »

Somewhere down the line, do you think we'll be able to fully-domesticate animals for our civ? Either as an adventurer, or as a fortress.

Yeah that'll come up again eventually
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 22, 2016, 08:30:35 am »

May want to color that lime green.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 22, 2016, 08:44:21 am »

Greets Toady One,

do you have any plans to enable stills and/or kitchens to have detailed work orders, so I can make my dwarves brew/cook specific drinks or meals in the near future ?

This would be really nice :)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 22, 2016, 09:50:41 am »

I thought this was already possible, it just took decades.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:11 am »

I thought this was already possible, it just took decades.

Depends what the OP means by 'fully tamed'. Initially yes, by repeatedly neglecting the same group of animals and retraining to a good standard (partially just out of new animal trainer practice or onpurposefully micro-managing it) across atleast minimum of 10 years of intensive training & cool off period for the same group of creatures to forget training (which takes longer the more professional the dwarf, so put a slow learning non appropriate dwarf to task) you can train them to domesticated level. The trade caravan will learn the new progress info each trading season and drive off, raising your total knowledge.

Here's the catch, taming exotic animals is largely useless to giving a civ wide benefit.

I apologize if i've drowned you with words, but i hope this helps inform you a little about the systems that are in place as i have observed them.

Question for Toady (I can't remember if i've said this question already in one form or another, but atleast i get a chance of a updated answer) - Though the economy will be looked at in later releases, do you have any plans to deal with interactions between traders properly simulating trade or giving nation states item exchanges from both of their inventories (dwarf fortresses for example hoard loose goblin supplies from failed/dead attackers during wars that fell on their site, while traders pick up objects from player and non player fortresses) so that in time the 'generation' of objects for trade by tokens can be reduced and eventually commented out for production centres (scenario/mini/hillocks/fortresses etc) and loot as per supply for demand
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:17:42 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 211