Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we be proud of our Giant War Keas?

GO KEAS WOOUH!
- 28 (93.3%)
...They suck.
- 2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 83

Author Topic: 'Murderflood: (Ardentdikes IIIv3) You, there, grab this save!  (Read 217558 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: 'Murderflood: Resurrection II: The Reboot (Ardentdikes IIIv3)'
« Reply #465 on: November 22, 2015, 09:15:34 pm »

Well, you know, even for a game, sometimes keeping track of what's going on can be pretty fucking confusing.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2015, 06:40:12 am »

Well, you know, even for a game, sometimes keeping track of what's going on can be pretty fucking confusing.
Err, what? :D I think he has some serious issues.

I've always wanted to play that game but it would kill my computer dead with a glance. Nice work with the legends finder Deus. I find that mode so frustrating.
But hey, it should be fine once you're going to get a new computer. It runs quite smoothly on most modern machines. The only issue is that the game starts to slow down the longer you play. After 600 years or so there's billions of characters doing whatever they do and the game keeps track of them all. Plus it becomes more difficult for the player to keep a track on all the hundreds of people in ones court and who the hell are they anyway. But it's still quite fun.

And DF and CK have got at least one thing common: Eventually you're going to end up being a horrible murderer.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 26, 2015, 05:47:54 pm »

So...um.....any updates or whatever?

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 26, 2015, 07:53:35 pm »

It HAS been pretty quiet, but we are still well within the allotted time. He could have just been busy the last week or so.... wouldn't mind some indication of life from Gwolfski, though.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2015, 09:16:16 pm »

It HAS been pretty quiet, but we are still well within the allotted time. He could have just been busy the last week or so.... wouldn't mind some indication of life from Gwolfski, though.

It is Thanksgiving week. He might be traveling or doing obligatory family things.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #470 on: November 27, 2015, 03:32:02 am »

Goblin siege, elves, water reactor. How much time left?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Haerdalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Located on a plane of Infinite Cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 27, 2015, 03:32:44 am »

About a week, give or take a day or so.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #472 on: November 27, 2015, 03:35:20 am »

FPS is crap. 2when water moving. Btw, I have found out how to make windows 7 look like xp.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 28, 2015, 01:59:58 am »

If FPS is that low, we're going to need to work to optimise things somehow.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 28, 2015, 02:26:17 am »

That's like the tenth succession game in which you begin by building a water engine and then give up on the save because water makes your fps drop to two.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 28, 2015, 03:03:57 am »

I've never really seen the point of water reactors, to be honest. Beyond large scale magma pumping there's really nothing that you'd need that much power for (though I've never really gotten into minecart madness).
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 28, 2015, 03:17:03 am »

Its a rather shallow map, so we didn't really need a reactor to be honest. I just allocated 30 dwarves to pump and let those things sort it out by itself.

I didn't play with an FPS counter on my last turn, though I reckon I was getting a steady 17-20 FPS on the whole (loading up my save to check, yep). I could definitely tell when FPS slowed to a crawl when I unforbid the door leading to the dodge me trap in the caverns. So FPS could certainly be worse with all the undead pathing down in the caverns. But in my experience, its still not as bad as the previous game (yet).

On the other hand, with all the magma and water flowing on the map at the moment, low FPS is pretty much a given until the magma dike is filled and the top magma layer drains away in the magma sea. Perhaps pathing calculations might be better if we also sealed up the z-level that was randomly mined out for rock, as I recall open spaces are hell on pathing FPS.

How's the dike filling coming along?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:20:01 am by Zuglarkun »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #477 on: November 28, 2015, 05:55:15 am »

dike fillings is paused, reactors will be online in  a month. I had a crash, so im back some, but i have found out the cavern entry is not blocked and half the fort rushed out. must remember to wall it off.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 28, 2015, 08:49:53 am »

Depending on the depth of the magma, the necessity of using a reactor at all is something to question. In a situation like this, I'd use the mini-reactor design. Pump moves water to move two or so wheels that provide power, and stop when the pump is no longer being run. Use a gear to connect the pump to the wheels, and you can start the pump and move on to other things and when you don't need it any more, turn off the gear, and the pump stops and so does the rest of it.

The conventional variant powers the pump directly and thus makes it hard to turn off unless the pump is marked for deconstruction for a moment. Of course if you want to be overly complex, you set up a water reservoir system that's charged by the wheels, and fills a two or three-z high water tank, and have a floodgate in the opposite state of the gear on the pump so pulling the lever engages the gear and closes the floodgate. The incoming rush of water runs the wheels enough to start the pump.

On the other hand, a reactor is nice to have if we want magma mines. But since the only issues we're having are with fliers off the lake, they wouldn't do much good.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #479 on: November 28, 2015, 09:11:40 am »

the reactors have enough control implemented(hopefully) to allow them to stall when some levers are pulled
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 83