Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524204 times)

Vrky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1080 on: December 28, 2014, 04:49:06 pm »

Damn, I missed the Steam sale :(

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1081 on: December 29, 2014, 06:22:06 pm »

Okay I have a post up for Round 14 now. Looking for map suggestions and such. Also since I played Tien Chi way to much in Dom3 if your going to join feel free to suggest a nation for me to play. Anyway the thread is here.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 29, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »

Damn, I missed the Steam sale :(

If you're itching for some MP action, 40% is still pretty good since we're not talking about a full 60$ price tag.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1083 on: January 02, 2015, 11:19:30 pm »

How does heretic interact with being the prophet. In round 14 I will be playing Machaka and it has 2 heretic mages and one is a disease healer and I was thinking it might be a good early prophet to keep my indie stompers from being diseased.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 03, 2015, 12:10:13 am »

It'll be good if they're invading, or in your own provinces where enemy dominion is overpowering yours and you want it gone. Generally if they're operating in provinces under your dominion (for summoning or healing, etc) you don't want very many of them in the same province since they will reduce your dominion there unless you have someone or something keeping it up.

(As for being the prophet, hereticness is automatic, so their prophetness will cause temple checks and they can preach in an attempt to counter their hereticness, but I have never personally tried it and I'm not sure how effective it might be. You may want to check the manual to see if it lists the calculations and dice rolling that are done for each. I had the impression that heretics automatically reduced dominion by 1 each round, but that may not be the case.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:13:06 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 03, 2015, 10:54:05 am »

How does heretic interact with being the prophet. In round 14 I will be playing Machaka and it has 2 heretic mages and one is a disease healer and I was thinking it might be a good early prophet to keep my indie stompers from being diseased.

As far as I know they act entirely separately from each other so... Check the manual on how they work? As far as I can remember, prophets basically act as mobile temples, genering candles as they move around. I'm 95% certain that the mechanics for heretics are almost identical to preaching as normal, in that a Heretic (1) commander acts as a H1 priest preaching in the province, Heretic (2) as a H2 priest, etc. The only difference is that they reduce the dominion in a province instead of increasing it...

Though with that being said I wouldn't be surprised if having Heretic makes a commander impossible to be prophet-ized, or they'll lose it if they become the prophet. So I would experiment a bit and see what happens.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 07, 2015, 05:02:58 pm »

aw, missed the boat on the noob game

next time another bay12 round starts count me in!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 08, 2015, 12:09:17 am »

I have a very newbish question. Can magical sites exist in your starting province other then your starting racial one?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:31 am »

Not normally. You'll occasionally get one to show up via event, but there'll never be a searchable one or whatnot when you start off.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 08, 2015, 01:15:37 am »

I think you can force magic sites with map commands, which is another way to end up with them (that used to be the case, at any rate.)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 08, 2015, 03:48:42 am »

There is never any use to search for magical site (either by searching order or searching spells) in any capital province, in a "normal" game (one where the starting positions aren't set nation by nation, in which the map editor could have been used to put a hidden magic site).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 08, 2015, 12:11:54 pm »

So I picked this up when the stars aligned and Dom 4 went on sale (I knew it was a sign of the apocalypse, but I figured I might as well have one title from the series before the world ends), and Steam claims I've spent over a hundred hours in it so far.

I'm almost entirely certain that 90 of those hours were spent in Pretender Design.  The rest are from leaving the game running while I had to head out and do errands.

I'm not very good at the game, never have been...  But I managed to biff a couple Normal AIs while playing as LA R'lyeh, which for me is actually a milestone.  Also got another game with Lanka where pretty much the only thing standing between me and ascension is the remaining paperwork, but that game's kinda on hold because I came up with different pretender designs, running a bunch of test games, can't be arsed managing the dozens upon dozens of commanders yadda yadda...

I guess I could say I'm having fun.  I spent most of my time chewing my lip and frowning furiously at the screen while trying to squeeze every last drop of usefulness from those precious design points, only to start up a test run, play a few turns and go back to the drawing board because it didn't work as planned.  I... Have a weird sense of "fun".

I've only ever played the demos to the previous games, but I dunno...  Kinda almost feels like it's "degenerated", at least with the current state of some of the nations and such.  Some things really do just look and feel like tacked-on fan mods.  Berytos for example seems like it could be really nice, but...  There's just something weird about it.  Xibalba is hilarious in EA, tragic in MA, and...  Basically undergoes no change for LA.  And don't get me started on Ragha's lunacy...

Still though, here I am; with the legions upon legions of games named "EA", "MA" or "LA" depending on which era I'm poking around with, and gods named such creative things as "Test", "Jomon1" and "hhh".  Come up with a looooot of quirky ideas...  Some good, most bad, others...  Still on the pretender list because I haven't made up my mind about them yet.

Dinnae suppose this would be the place to seek out should I feel like ranting about whatever harebrained idea I've come up with for a build, or discussing scales and tactics for ye olde variouse nationes?

EDIT:  P.S. Asphodel is broken as fuck.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 08, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »

This is pretty much the place, yes, insofar as B12 goes. The desura forum or that major Dominions modding forum I've forgotten the name of is probably among the best non-B12 places to go.

And... just throwing it out there, but while pretender design is important, it's not that important :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 08, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »

Thanks for the info on magical sites. ;)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 08, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »

And... just throwing it out there, but while pretender design is important, it's not that important :P

YES IT IS!

Now, get out of my way, peasant...  I have to go run some more tests.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 236