Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124697 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3195 on: November 29, 2010, 10:05:28 pm »

I made a long list of metal types/flux stones/etc and posted it right by my computer.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

letmeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »

After taking out 2 fb's in one-three shots each, I was feeling pretty confident, so the next one that came i didn't bother sending much military, 1 legendary fighter. Then i go about my buisiness and notice rot everywhere, and a barely wounded fb killed off 24 well trained and equiped troops, and was killing off my entire civilian city. I drafted 80 of them into the military, barely made a dent in it. All of its wounds healed into scars, and my last save is 2 hours ago.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: November 30, 2010, 01:57:08 am »

Ugh. I have had a baby captured by a goblin snatcher... but the snatcher got caught by a cage trap.

This has caused me to do research on the wiki.  And is there a way to disarm the goblins? Or get the baby back? The wiki seems to hint at me being able to do something... but it never gives me a solid answer in the places I've checked.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: November 30, 2010, 02:37:52 am »

Ugh. I have had a baby captured by a goblin snatcher... but the snatcher got caught by a cage trap.

This has caused me to do research on the wiki.  And is there a way to disarm the goblins? Or get the baby back? The wiki seems to hint at me being able to do something... but it never gives me a solid answer in the places I've checked.

set up a garbage dump right next to the cage.  It should be a simple "put garbage here" quantum stock pile thing.  DO NOT PUT IT NEXT TO LAVA OR A PIT.  Then just mass dump the cage using 'd','b','d'.  You might need to mass reclaim the stuff first, it depends on the version you are using.  If you don't want them to actually drag the cage over to the dump, use v to look at it and deselect it for dumping.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: November 30, 2010, 04:02:16 am »

Wanted to rely on fishing in an early fortress.

"Urist McFearless has canceled fish. Interrupted by harmless minnow.'

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: November 30, 2010, 04:26:56 am »

set up a garbage dump right next to the cage.  It should be a simple "put garbage here" quantum stock pile thing.  DO NOT PUT IT NEXT TO LAVA OR A PIT.  Then just mass dump the cage using 'd','b','d'.  You might need to mass reclaim the stuff first, it depends on the version you are using.  If you don't want them to actually drag the cage over to the dump, use v to look at it and deselect it for dumping.

Dwarf Fortress: Where the only way to reclaim your baby is by throwing him in a rubbish dump.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

VinWij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: November 30, 2010, 05:03:01 am »

I had some UristMcTantrum going in a tantrum because his only friend was eaten by a beak-dog (terrifying embark), and he decided stomping a bridge over a river. He stood in the middle and smashed it to bits, causing him to fall down with some chunks of rock into the river 4 z levels below. Darwin Award!

Later, when I rebuilt the bridge, I tried building a wall next to it (to prevent anyone jumping off by dodging a harpy, which happened before...), suspended but connected to a wall that's on solid ground. But, the dwarves start building it on the wrong end, causing it to collapse and cause a huge cloud of dust, blowing no less than 8 dwarves off the bridge into that same river. There's now 10 corpses (UristMcTantrum, a macedwarf dodging a harpy and the 8 dustcloud-victims) down there and I'm building a big hall with memorials. The trouts keep their corpses company.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: November 30, 2010, 08:20:04 am »

Not building cage traps on the other side of my moat and having goblins on alligators swim through it to the other side >.<
Am currently walling off the two last pieces of my tower as a last ditch effort. But I fear the worst... A dwarf in a mood hasn't begun his project yet... It's only a matter of time... DUN! DUN! DUNNN!!!

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: November 30, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »

Forggotten beast with deadly blood and wings got onto my staircase.
Army of wrestlers beat and bite it death.
Guess what happens next.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: November 30, 2010, 01:32:14 pm »

"Athel Erithlathon, Fish Cleaner has died of thirst."
What?
Oh, he's in that section of the fort I had him off! But he had access to the rest of the fortress, so why...
... huh, what a surprise, that area actually wasn't connected at all to the rest of the fort.
Duh. *facepalms*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: November 30, 2010, 08:12:59 pm »

i buy some armor from the caravan with all the food i have, minus like 2 barrels and 2 stack of meals

the caravan leaves

urist mcnearlegendaryherbalist withdraws from society

he requires glass, i do not have any...

the only herbalist from a group of 25 dwarves

my storage room was empty, due to buying weapons for it from the caravan a few seconds before

made all my dwarves herbalists to desperately get food

goblins siege the fortress

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »

Well, atleast you can arm your militia.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

salveson92

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: November 30, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »

Spent about 45 minutes with the game paused designating a huge single story bedroom design, making sure to be several levels below my workshops.
then i unpaused...
You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground.
i barely got 3 squares away from my staircase  :'(

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »

After mining out a large room for an underground tree farm, I built a bridge and attached it to a lever to atom smash the mined rock out of existence. after dumping it all under the raised bridge, I told a dorf to pull the lever.

Happily, one of my three traders obliged and rushed over to pull the lever. After doing so, he wandered off to get a drink (I suppose he was, at any rate), and walked right under the bridge to get to the...

SPLAT

*facepalm*

on the up side, he wasn't the best trader I have. more booze for everyone else!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:20:03 pm by Harbinger »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: December 01, 2010, 03:54:12 am »

So I was working away on my fortress, having had a surprising amount of success so far. I start digging a well shaft, with one dwarf tunneling straight down the series of channels. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out why my other two miners aren't hard at work constructing my underground resevoir I had all designated.

"Urist McBrilliantMiner has died after colliding with an object."

Huh?

I zoom down to the site, and see the original miner doing just fine. As I'm about to write it off as a glitch, I find my other two miners. Apparently they decided to leap down the single tile well shaft, about 7-8z levels deep, some time after my first miner had successfully tunneled to the bottom. Near as I could tell the first one to land survived without serious injury until the second one landed on him and killed him. Said second dwarf was badly injured but didn't bother to stop working. *facepalm*

Then there was the time where I thought I'd done so well in finding a spot where I had successfully tunneled down beneath an aquifer, where I started building my fort. I was close to the left edge of the map, so I started stacking stone storages to get stuff out of the way and make sure I don't miss out on any ore. 'Stacking', of course, intended to imply that I was putting each new one on a layer above the last. I facepalmed hard when I realized I'd managed to tunnel a straight up/down stairway right back into the aquifer I thought myself so clever in avoiding.

And the time where my expedition leader mysteriously died of thirst in a tunnel way up north on the map. I couldn't figure out where she was for a long time, mostly due to not thinking to check the tunnel that was perfectly accessible from multiple points. There had been no cave ins, no sudden bursts of high pressure water (in fact, no water at all, at that point - just plenty of booze). My best guess is that she was the only dwarf to have encountered the mysterious invisible troll that had destroyed one floodgate and my farm plot without ever being seen or interfering with any other dwarf in a way that triggered a message. The facepalm mostly comes from the fact that this dwarf was also my broker, and that the outpost liaison had been unsuccessfully trying (by hanging out in the main section of my fort, apparently) to hold a meeting for a few months until she died and the liaison left angrily.

Edit: This morning I had an embark where, as soon as the spring thaw hit a few minutes after I started, I discovered that my wagon was half-over an obscured murky pool that had been frozen solid when I started. Queue having to drain the pool in an effort to recover over half my supplies that sank straight to the bottom when it became liquid.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:21:26 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 729