Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124766 times)

Flodeklojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5205 on: October 15, 2011, 07:06:01 am »

just made a magma cistern and filled it up. In the middle of it is my central staircase, surrounded by a wall of course.
"Time to channel out the tiles above the magma so i can build those furnaces..."
*channels out tiles next to stairs* ... magma levels drop ... "hmmm, what's going on?" ... sees his mistake ... *facepalm*

So i punched through my cistern wall and the magma is now flowing down my staircase. Luckily that part of the fort is unused.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: October 15, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »

Thrice damned evil cave crocodiles and bloody stupid dwarfs.

Cave crocodile appears. Murders the fuck out of random idiot #1. I send marksdwarf squad down to murder it. I don't pay attention because it's a solid 50 z-levels down through several passages and the game is slow. Militia Captain seems to be in front. He's an elite marksdwarf.

I look away for a minute.

Wrestler is dead. A recruit, shot once or twice, got mauled, became wrestler, died. Elite marksdwarf militia captain? Went back up thirty stairs to "store item in bin".

HAAAATE.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pandimo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: October 15, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

Mason locked away for ages, finally emerges having constructed the awesome Atolteshkad Ruthoshfastam, the...

door.

phyrite, btw.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:09 pm »

Mason locked away for ages, finally emerges having constructed the awesome Atolteshkad Ruthoshfastam, the...

door.

phyrite, btw.

Let some noble have it for his/her room.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: October 16, 2011, 12:47:21 am »

Oh man, I'm on a roll with this current fort. It's year 6, and periodically for some strange reason the raise brudge I use to seal off the bottom cavern level seems to keep lowering it's automatically. Only one death so far thanks to the military who have managed to efficiently kill off herds of Drathas, a Cave Croc, a few Giant Moles, and one FB who was made of nothing but feathers and vomited webs.
But I have just realized the problem. That bridge is linked to two levers: the one it's supposed to be linked to...and the lever opening my trade depot.
I have no clue how this happened.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: October 16, 2011, 12:48:39 am »

I have no clue how this happened.

Well.. It does.. happen..  :P

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: October 16, 2011, 04:00:07 am »

.. sigh. As I was building a washing-station two of my Dwarfs were pushed into the lake beneath it by the water coming from above (which I shouldn't have opened yet). One of them simply trudged out and the other drowned one tile away from a ramp to oxygen JUST at the moment where I was saying "hurry up or you'll drown." She was a surgeon, too, and I don't think I can reclaim the body because the lake is attached to an underground sea.

Edit; phew. I should pay better attention to when I pit goblins, because the last one fell from -46 to -60 to land on top of one of my Dwarfs, causing both to be stunned (but survive without wounds) and the Goblin then almost had another chance at murdering another Dwarf but luckily he caged himself instead of killing anyone. I think he'll get a do-over.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:10:38 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: October 16, 2011, 12:11:25 pm »

Just after Lullgilt was finished with one siege, another with over a hundred gobbos and trolls comes along. As my military is decimated I decided it when the cage traps couldn't work I would then close the doors and hole up. It wasn't until one particular section got over-run and I had a look-see to discover a stairway that I had completely forgotten. This meant I had no hatch covers. *facepalm* So ends Lullgilt. Because of lack of hatch covers.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:45 pm »

I decided to assault some special place with my herd of legendary militia.  Took me a while to find a way down, and I channeled a lot of holes into the magma sea so Dwarven echolocation would work.  The assault didn't go that great, and while my soldiers died, I walled it all off behind three layers of constructed wall.

So at least I was safe.

And then there were horrible horrible things running around all over the lower levels.  I later figured out that I had turned off the temperature in a previous fort for frame-rate reasons, and my unwanted guests were simply swimming through the magma sea to all the listening holes.  Oh.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: October 16, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »

Put grates over your "listening holes".
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: October 16, 2011, 01:54:04 pm »

I have a burrow that encompasses the whole map bar a section of corridor that is used to run enemies. Not only did I forget to switch the burrow on, but a bogeyman-loving planter wandered into the corridor just in time to plant himself in the ten squares between the military and the opposition. I like to think that he realised that without day and night cycles in the fortress he would have no way of ever seeing the object of his fascination, so he decided to go out with a bang observing the antics of something even better.

On the plus side, I did learn about the limitations of steel armour and now have an even healthier respect for the defensive capabilities of my steel-clad military.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: October 16, 2011, 05:56:09 pm »

In my current (Also my first) fort, at the beginning, when I had decided to begin mining for metal and gems and other @#$%, i had only dug 3 layers and had found 'something' called hematite. Surprised I had already hit something, I decided to ignore it. If I had already found it within the first 3 layers under my fort, it couldn't be that important for my fort, right?

right?

Well, about a year later, after I had a troglyte-whatever problom that cost me a few dwarves, I decided it was about time to see my smelter was capable of making any metal so I could get some weapons and armor for my damn militia (It's still full of peewee scout recruits, so I don't think they deserve to be considered a proper military yet). I click 'add new task' and find right underneath 'smelt metal object' 'smelt hematite ore'. I decide to see where it is, and see it near my starting dig point. After that I looked up hematite in the wiki and found out that it was an ore for iron.

In other words, I have been digging around to find copper or silver so I can make my first basic weapons, only to realize a year later that I've had @#$%ing iron hiding in plain sight.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: October 16, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »

So my current fortress is composed of mountain (cliffs) bordering lake and terrifying woodland.  So that my fishermen would be safe, I dug a hole out of the cliff so they could fish away from all the scary stuff.  Unfortunately, the lake is temperate, and froze over.  I dug out a pit for a draw-bridge to go over, but it wasn't completed when I found this werewolf running around my fortress, chasing people.  I am pondering my options, and hoping I can trap it with some forbidden doors when he chases a whole slew of my dwarves down the hallway, and out onto the ice.

Now the ice has melted.  Remind me to not let werewolves chase people around, and to at least have a lockable door so that this stuff doesn't happen.  Having my one legendary miner drowning is a bit too much fun for me.

Why facepalm?  Because I left the door open so the dwarves outside could get back inside, because I was under the impression that werewolves did not go indoors.

(The kicker?  The werewolf didn't drown - he left the map on the lake-bed, exploring east.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:35:05 pm by Nil Athelion »

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:59 pm »

In my current (Also my first) fort, at the beginning, when I had decided to begin mining for metal and gems and other @#$%, i had only dug 3 layers and had found 'something' called hematite. Surprised I had already hit something, I decided to ignore it. If I had already found it within the first 3 layers under my fort, it couldn't be that important for my fort, right?

right?

Well, about a year later, after I had a troglyte-whatever problom that cost me a few dwarves, I decided it was about time to see my smelter was capable of making any metal so I could get some weapons and armor for my damn militia (It's still full of peewee scout recruits, so I don't think they deserve to be considered a proper military yet). I click 'add new task' and find right underneath 'smelt metal object' 'smelt hematite ore'. I decide to see where it is, and see it near my starting dig point. After that I looked up hematite in the wiki and found out that it was an ore for iron.

In other words, I have been digging around to find copper or silver so I can make my first basic weapons, only to realize a year later that I've had @#$%ing iron hiding in plain sight.
Welcome to DF my freind, You can put your sanity infront of the giant dwarf and here is your complemtary ‼MAGMA‼ bath! *pulls lever*
So my current fortress is composed of mountain (cliffs) bordering lake and terrifying woodland.  So that my fishermen would be safe, I dug a hole out of the cliff so they could fish away from all the scary stuff.  Unfortunately, the lake is temperate, and froze over.  I dug out a pit for a draw-bridge to go over, but it wasn't completed when I found this werewolf running around my fortress, chasing people.  I am pondering my options, and hoping I can trap it with some forbidden doors when he chases a whole slew of my dwarves down the hallway, and out onto the ice.

Now the ice has melted.  Remind me to not let werewolves chase people around, and to at least have a lockable door so that this stuff doesn't happen.  Having my one legendary miner drowning is a bit too much fun for me.

Why facepalm?  Because I left the door open so the dwarves outside could get back inside, because I was under the impression that werewolves did not go indoors.

(The kicker?  The werewolf didn't drown - he left the map on the lake-bed, exploring east.)

Ya did you know that if a miner is drowning i think he can a stairwell to get him out, not sure but if you dig a up staircause and a down staircause next to the pound i think he can both dig that out and use it. Not sure for the firs though. But if you got a miner nearby just dig a channel, much faster and easier.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:51:18 pm by BeforeLifer »
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:01 pm »

Also your morals and normal ethics will be carved into fine statuesque works of art, and then sunk to the bottom of the magma sea.
Here we have !!Fun!!, !!Science!!, and !!Magma!! to replace those. We find they work better.
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 729