Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124697 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5865 on: February 27, 2012, 10:10:36 am »

Digging a channel so the well running off the aquifer is providing clean water drawn from the second z-level, only to realize you opened the aquifer directly above you smelter in doing so.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: February 27, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

Notice some of my dwarves are hungry, and can't figure out why. There are like, 200 eggs!

Eggs can't be eaten raw.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: February 27, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »

I just lost 20 dwarves, including 9 military because A) I forgot to set the civilian alert, and B) I forgot to have my marksdwarves move into firing position.  Oh, well, my fort is otherwise going well.  Well this is the reclaim I made after goblins killed 60 dwarves(they got chased off by my two hunters).  And my magma works killed two dwarves setting up, one of whom is still ghosting around.  I don't know what to do about him.  He is just floating in the magma.  And his body burned, so I don't know if I could even slab him if anybody saw him.  All this as a fort dedicated to churning out steel armor for future adventurers.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: February 27, 2012, 06:00:13 pm »

Just lost 10 dwarf to carps.

Just that is not much (even if it's half of my population), but the fact I lost them in the dining room is a little more strange.

Oh, I forgot to build some fortification in the path the water follows to get to my dining room from the river...
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: February 27, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »

I exidently atom-smashed my legendary stone crafter

Now, who will make my large stone pots?
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: February 27, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »

So there I was after so long of not making it to the traders before I had fun. Elf's came by and had some trade goods, I'd set what I want, wild strawberries and lots of them! With only having rock instruments to give him, at first I would give him 10 or so of them for 25 strawberries, and he would be happy about every single time. Finely I started to lower how much I gave him, to the point where I gave him one for everything, and he accepted. It was then I realized I was giving him free gifts the whole time  :-[
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:52 pm »

After about half a dozen tries, I'm finally seeing some results from Nan's squad-of-two-no-time-off training. It's not great; sparring has made them legendary axedwarves and legendary fighters, but they're not progressing in armor use, shield use, or dodging. Suddenly the time comes to put them to the test--an ambush!

*thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud*

Five out of six dwarves dead. All of them hit in the head with a silver mace. I check the bodies...no helmets. I check my inventory. Six bronze helmets, sitting in a stockpile. I check the military and yes, they were supposed to be wearing them.

They just never got around to putting them on.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:10 am »

After about half a dozen tries, I'm finally seeing some results from Nan's squad-of-two-no-time-off training. It's not great; sparring has made them legendary axedwarves and legendary fighters, but they're not progressing in armor use, shield use, or dodging. Suddenly the time comes to put them to the test--an ambush!

*thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud*

Five out of six dwarves dead. All of them hit in the head with a silver mace. I check the bodies...no helmets. I check my inventory. Six bronze helmets, sitting in a stockpile. I check the military and yes, they were supposed to be wearing them.

They just never got around to putting them on.

In the future, check this before you send them into combat.   Yes, I learned it the hard way too.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: February 28, 2012, 04:56:39 am »

There was a murky pool obstructing the area where I wanted to place my above ground farm plots, so I dug a deep shaft next to it, and then dug horizontally, and then down again until I breached the upper cavern, planning to drain the pool into it. The miner got clear, dug the final channel connecting the pool to the shaft, and the pool started to drain. Everything seemed to be going according to plan.

A little later, while moving the viewpoint down to check on the magma forge, I noticed the drainage tunnel was full of blood.

It turned out that I'd flushed my best swordsdwarf and her cat, for a grand total of eight broken limbs.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:00 am »

Had 180-ish fortress up and running.
Some creeping eyes came and started killing. Selected both squads, rectangled all the fortress and did not see that there was a diplomat from my civilization. So.. Everybody is killing everybody now :)
Except for a squad of smithing guys, who just continue to create some armor and weapons.

Sooo moment after I post it here comes the undead league with 2 necros. Yeah!
almost everything is killed.
Will the undead leave some time later? Cause The Vampire is walled out in prison :)

Will the ghosts of non-buried guys [ghosts e.g.] kill or somehow damage him?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:43:41 am by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:43 pm »

Urist McFurnaceOperator cannot smelt hematite: needs hematite!

What about all the hematite I mined out a moment ago, Urist?

Ooo, nice red floor hatch, guys!

Wait... DAMN YOU CINNABAR!!!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:27 am »

Had 180-ish fortress up and running.
Some creeping eyes came and started killing. Selected both squads, rectangled all the fortress and did not see that there was a diplomat from my civilization. So.. Everybody is killing everybody now :)
Except for a squad of smithing guys, who just continue to create some armor and weapons.

Sooo moment after I post it here comes the undead league with 2 necros. Yeah!
almost everything is killed.
Will the undead leave some time later? Cause The Vampire is walled out in prison :)

Will the ghosts of non-buried guys [ghosts e.g.] kill or somehow damage him?

Don't know about vamps, but I've had dwarfs scared to death by particularly angry and vindictive ghosts, so yes, it's possible.

In the future put a lever in his room linked to a hatch over his head to a room full of water;) unless they get bad moods and pull levers randomly now, in which case nevermind :D

... Wait, your hoping he lives, they leave, and new immigrants come, aren'tcha? :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: February 29, 2012, 09:07:49 am »

A migrant wave came, and not wanting to bother with drowning tests or anything I just did the name test thing on all of them.  One turned out to be a vamp so I designated a burrow for him and told him to start smoothing the whole thing down.  He went to his burrow and only encountered about 4 dwarves on his way there.  He started work like a good little dwarf so I locked him up and checked on the vamp 1 Z level above him (who was a great book keeper so I used him for free managing labor, figures a dwarf born for noble duties would be a blood sucker) and he was fine too, neither had any way of getting to other dwarves.  A good amount of time passed in game and I saw I had a mandate, I looked at it and laughed, thinking to myself "Learn to live with disappointment mayor..." but then I saw the name of the mayor, it was the vamp busy smoothing his room  :o

I checked on him and he was still in his burrow locked up tight, I checked on his relations and he didn't have a single freind/passing acquaintance, and only 1 diety.  I can only imagine how he became mayor.

*Dwarfs meet to vote for a mayor*
Dwarf 1:  I vote for the guy in that room over there.
Dwarf 2:  Someone lives over there?  I thought it was just an empty room.
Dwarf 3:  Yah, you  can hear him moan every now and then, I vote for him too.
Dwarf 2:  Thats a dwarf?  I thought it was just a hurt dog or something making the noise.
Dwarf 1:  *Goes over to locked door*   Hey!  Potentially non-existent and/or crazy dwarf, your our new mayor, have fun!
Vamp Mayor:  *Demands that all dwarfs sleep in his burrow.*
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: February 29, 2012, 09:28:57 am »

Ordered some pikedwarves to kill an insane diplomat,and noticing they started killing eachother (Well, more specifically they sarted attacking everyone EXCEPT the diplomat)

I didn't notice that it was a "Gone batshit crazy" case instead of the normal "Flipshit and kill everyone" I normally get.

I both facepalmed and savescummed.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: February 29, 2012, 09:37:27 am »

Ordered some pikedwarves to kill an insane diplomat,and noticing they started killing eachother (Well, more specifically they sarted attacking everyone EXCEPT the diplomat)

I didn't notice that it was a "Gone batshit crazy" case instead of the normal "Flipshit and kill everyone" I normally get.

I both facepalmed and savescummed.

That my friend, is what we call a loyality cascvade.
Those can be very fun to handle once started.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 729