Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2128099 times)

Funiculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6105 on: April 07, 2012, 08:08:24 am »

I mentioned somewhere else, I just had one of the hateful little furballs open a maintenance door and unleash magma throughout a floor in my fort.  Didn't even have the decency to DIE; evading all damage.  Tragically, a mule was set on fire, which then ran through the fort spreading fire to animals and dwarves.  It was a near fortress ending event; I ultimately had to flood several levels just to get the fire out and stop the smoke rising up my stairs and killing everything.  Fraking cats.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:33 am »

When I found out Dwarves automatically claimed bedrooms. So much time wasted painstakingly assigning each dwarf to a bedroom. . .

WHAT
*epic facepalm*

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: April 07, 2012, 10:59:20 am »

Being a noob today I finally figured out how to dump stones... I was facepalming and crying at the beauty of my Dwarves getting rid of rocks at the same time 

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: April 07, 2012, 09:18:06 pm »

When I found out that you can build walls more than one at a time...

Actually, I do know that, I just wanted to here the facepalms of newbs who don't.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

kardofaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:15 pm »

This just happened. I had a bunch of goblins that fell into a pit from retracting a bridge during a siege - probably ten and an axe lord. I told my rangers to station nearby to finish them off. The captain was standing still near the bridge for a good minute or two. I hit the switch and THATS when he decided to walk across, maybe to grab some arrows even though I gave him orders. He fell down, and quickly slaughtered. I just screamed. Fucking retarded.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: April 08, 2012, 12:02:09 am »

I watched my fps with horror. Then someone mentioned large designations cause a big drop in fps. Ah, so that's why. I undesignated 3 levels from clearcutting and now I'm seeing my fps climb up as the fourth level is being cut by the industrious little buggers.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: April 08, 2012, 05:01:36 am »

When I found out that you can build walls more than one at a time...

Actually, I do know that, I just wanted to here the facepalms of newbs who don't.
Not as bad as when I found out that you can designate more than one block to be dug when I was a newb.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: April 08, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »

When I found out Dwarves automatically claimed bedrooms. So much time wasted painstakingly assigning each dwarf to a bedroom. . .
This.
So. much. wasted. time.
 :-[
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: April 08, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

This.
So. much. wasted. time.

Not necessarily. Gotta make sure you waste it assiging them to dwraves who hate the vermin engraved on the walls and floors. Bonus if it's mayor.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:03 am »

Had a mass-pit filled with war dogs, dumped an unarmed goblin into it... forgot to lock the door at the bottom, he almost escaped the fort too....

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: April 09, 2012, 07:09:34 am »

This.
So. much. wasted. time.

Not necessarily. Gotta make sure you waste it assiging them to dwraves who hate the vermin engraved on the walls and floors. Bonus if it's mayor.
Not to mention that Dwarfs seem to have a crazy sleeping pattern and as such I'm not sure if I have enough rooms for all the Dwarfs as there are both dozens of empty rooms and dozens of room-less Dwarfs.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

CyberReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:44 am »

Just embarked in a new world today to test some changes I had made, ended up getting a waterfall despite the game telling me the area was flat.  Anyways, this tiny waterfall, only about 3 or 4 wide had become the bane of all living creatures existence, claiming one of my cats, a giant weasel, and about 10 coati men.  Then, my second migrant wave showed up on the opposite side of the waterfall from my fort, and I hadn't finished the bridge yet, and, being dwarves, they decided that taking the short route through the slow moving water was for elves and other lesser creatures and took the long route directly over the very edge of the water fall.  Naturally, they all broke most of their limbs in the 10-z level fall, only to survive and have their throats literally torn out by the equally maimed, but somehow still alive, coati men. -_-

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: April 09, 2012, 10:27:18 pm »

. . . my second migrant wave showed up on the opposite side of the waterfall from my fort, and . . . decided that taking the short route through the slow moving water was for elves and other lesser creatures and took the long route directly over the very edge of the water fall.  Naturally, they all broke most of their limbs in the 10-z level fall . . .
I wouldn't mind things like this so much if only the game didn't assume that they were YOUR, the player's, fault.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: April 10, 2012, 03:29:03 am »

It IS your fault!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: April 10, 2012, 04:32:26 am »

Exactly, you could had dammed up that waterfall. As boss of the establishment it is your duty to make sure there's no health hazards anywhere, your lucky the health inspector isn't coming to your fortress this year... or the next, he has mysteriously disappeared centuries ago.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 729