Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2128153 times)

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6525 on: June 27, 2012, 12:52:46 pm »

When I realised that Atom Smasher wont stop HFS. ;(

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »

When I realised that Atom Smasher wont stop HFS. ;(

Talk about a painful "NOOOOOoooooooooo.......ugh!" end to a fort

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: June 27, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

When I realized that atom smasher garbage disposal need to be in a enclosed area.
Although, that woodcutter did provide important information about flying super-fast garbage.
Though the fact that there were several gobbo weapons in there didn't help him.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:52 pm »

Though the fact that there were several gobbo weapons in there didn't help him.

All that beautiful goblinite!

And regarding Atom Smashers and HFS, they stop the circus, if they're raised and never lowered again.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: June 27, 2012, 02:11:34 pm »

Made a minecart wooden run.

Pile of wood outside. Minecart track all the way inside, drops wood into a single tile wood deposit, right by my carpenter. minecart goes through a bridge that is opened/lowered by minecart pressure.

1) The track inside is shorter than the main route inside the fortress. So while i am building the track, dwarfs think it wise to path through there to get inside. Result - finished building the bridge while there were 3 dwarfs on the channel below it.

2) First minecart test run - pressure plate too close to the bridge. Dwarf pushes minecart full of wood. Goblin siege appears. Minecart passes through the pressure plate. Minecart smashes into the closed bridge. Bridge opens. Goblins find a very nice easy path inside the fortress.

3) Defended from goblin invasion. Recover fortress to a semi-functional state after a year of tantrums. Move pressure plate further away from the bridge. Fill minecart with wood. Urist McWoodsman pushes it. Kea catches minecart midway through the track and flies off with it.

4) Dwarven caravan leaving depot. New minecart. Fill with wood. Urist McWoodsman pushes it...

5) Minecart operation working now. However, looks like my wood pile outside never gets smaller, always have plenty of dwarfs bringing in more wood. Realize i have not ordered more trees to be chopped. Check wood stockpile inside. Realize i have not made a wood stockpile inside, only the outside one, so my dwarves have been picking up the wood that the minecart bring inside and carrying it outside for it to be loaded on the minecart again.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:13:36 pm by Wyrmnax »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: June 27, 2012, 06:26:39 pm »

Fill minecart with wood. Urist McWoodsman pushes it. Kea catches minecart midway through the track and flies off with it.

This part sounds less facepalm and more bemused stare and headscratch.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: June 28, 2012, 10:52:16 am »

Facepalm last night:

I'm using the double-slit method to pierce a 2-layer aquifer.  I'm down to the final bits, walling off the bottom layer.  Urist McDumbass, my miner, punches a hole in the single wall tile and then decides right there, with water spraying all around him and a pump hammering away overhead, is the perfect place to take a nap.

Still, though, the pump will keep him from drowning, right?

Well, sure... so long as the pump operator doesn't decide to take a nap at the same time.

Stupid dwarves.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: June 28, 2012, 11:30:15 am »

Facepalm last night:

I'm using the double-slit method to pierce a 2-layer aquifer.  I'm down to the final bits, walling off the bottom layer.  Urist McDumbass, my miner, punches a hole in the single wall tile and then decides right there, with water spraying all around him and a pump hammering away overhead, is the perfect place to take a nap.

Still, though, the pump will keep him from drowning, right?

Well, sure... so long as the pump operator doesn't decide to take a nap at the same time.

Stupid dwarves.

And their last thought was "it is noisy"
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: June 28, 2012, 11:58:57 am »

Urist McDumbass slept uneasily forever due to noise and drowning

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: June 28, 2012, 01:51:55 pm »

I downloaded DF and some other files that SDL doesn't have by default. First thing I noticed was that it couldn't find files in the right subfolders, and then that there were no subfolders, and that everything had been extracted to the same folder. I spent half an hour painstakingly creating folders and moving files (I was checking vs the unzipped files) before I realized that I had the option off for "extract files with full path" when extracting.  :-[
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:07 pm »

Started a new fortress. Saw a wierd symbol, an E with a ' on top of it. I'm like, wtf is that? 'k', hold it over...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105981.50

Oh god, the bees... I forgot I still had the raws for the Ultrabee within my folders. Now I simply MUST find a way to use them to kill invaders.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:30 pm »

on my epic volcano fort i gave a huge story to earlier, i was reclaiming it decided for my waterfall down the side i should use DFhack to put a riversource instead of figuring out pumps.

forgot when messing with water earlier the range was set to 20 wide, 15 tall, and 3 z levels... I couldn't undo.

I used the "die" command.

In other news, auto dump and fast dwarf are great for cleaning up a fort within a year without a bunch of ghosts murdering your guys too fast.

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:56 am »

Cat in ballista training room. -,-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I forgot to make doors tightly closed.

Edit:
Not again!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:49:30 am by Cholek »

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:25 am »

Cat in ballista training room. -,-

I forgot to make doors tightly closed.

Wait, those things don't require specific attack targeting, they just hit anything that's in the area they pass through, don't they?

Reliable damage control for a catsplosion in progress might put the ballista on the Useful list even if they are trash for sieges.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: June 29, 2012, 07:01:18 am »

Fill minecart with wood. Urist McWoodsman pushes it. Kea catches minecart midway through the track and flies off with it.

This part sounds less facepalm and more bemused stare and headscratch.

*Shakes fist at Da Vinci machine bird*
And you thought you had problems  :P
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 729