Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124705 times)

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8010 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:34 am »

This entire fortress, atm:

Modded - added in Celts as a playable race.  Made them babysnatchers, why not?  Looking through nobles list for the civ; both known nobles are goblins.  -_-  Time to go to war with my own civ!

Civ name is the Ordered Indignation.  RNG got "Slopstrength" for the fortress name.  I named the group Battleaged the Charcoal Destiny of Dragons (don't judge).  There seems to be a definite disparity. 

Artifact: Queensparkle the Nose of Ambiguity.  It is an alder bed.  It menaces with spikes of alder and birch.  WHO MADE THE SPIKEY BED?!?!

EDIT:
Also, on embark, there were tame trolls for 1 a piece.  I brought a bunch, they make excellent security guards!  They apparently like to party, though, and can be assigned to burrows. 

2nd EDIT:
I was planning on ambushing the caravan and taking everything, but they brought 5 wagons!  I don't think I have room for all that crap.  The fortress is extremely self-sufficient.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:06:00 am by Morgorin »
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »

Hm? That seems to require all of 2 tiles of wall to be constructed for a safe area. And the right-most designation that pierced the caverns was just a big hall anyway, at least the cavern pierce didn't happen with the bedrooms(?) on the left. On the other hand, I do emphathize, I'm a bit OCD about not digging out any more than needed (and using just the materials I want etc), but I'd probably be able to adapt to this one.

I was more pissed about the fact that I had to dig out another big ass room for my stockpile than the cavern breaching. Unfortunately, I forgot to seal the breach and a family of ogres got in (how, I have no idea. I could swear that there wasn't a way up into the fortress proper) and slaughtered the lot of my dwarves.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: September 19, 2013, 08:15:59 pm »

Sent a few of my small Sword squads out to kill some critters while some trees were cut and gathered like I had done many times before. Knowing they were plenty skilled enough to take care of themselves I focused on finally getting them some real armor.

A few minutes later I was slightly puzzled by an announcement that I had discovered the Magma Sea, and a number of different minerals/gems that were down in the magma. Then I got the announcement that one of my Armorsmith's masterpieces had been lost forever, and immediately knew what had happened.

One of the first items the smith had made was a Masterpiece Steel Round Shield. I quickly gave it to my Commander, thinking he would likely put it to good use.

He of course then jumped into the Magma Tube when dodging the first attack from a random creature. I really should have walled around that thing earlier...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: September 20, 2013, 11:11:30 am »

Sent a few of my small Sword squads out to kill some critters while some trees were cut and gathered like I had done many times before. Knowing they were plenty skilled enough to take care of themselves I focused on finally getting them some real armor.

A few minutes later I was slightly puzzled by an announcement that I had discovered the Magma Sea, and a number of different minerals/gems that were down in the magma. Then I got the announcement that one of my Armorsmith's masterpieces had been lost forever, and immediately knew what had happened.

One of the first items the smith had made was a Masterpiece Steel Round Shield. I quickly gave it to my Commander, thinking he would likely put it to good use.

He of course then jumped into the Magma Tube when dodging the first attack from a random creature. I really should have walled around that thing earlier...

The first rule of Magma Tubes is to wall them off.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:58 pm »

I'm more perplexed that a) you had steel that early (then again, you do have a magma tube), b) decided to use it on making a shield with only a proficient armorsmith (ok fine, if it was a 10+ armorsmith from a migrant wave...), especially since shield material doesn't matter at all, and c) actually got a masterwork out of a proficient armorsmith (see above, if he was above proficient).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: September 20, 2013, 03:36:30 pm »

Designated a vast area to be channeled instead of mined.

The head strikes the desk in the top, shattering the wood!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: September 23, 2013, 04:09:18 am »

My new fortress's name is Fortressball
Dwarves cannot into space?

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: September 23, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »

My new fortress's name is Fortressball
Dwarves cannot into space?

I have the creeping suspicion that Armok and Subil, god of chaos and war, will pick up my fortress and start playing basket-dwarf with it.

That would be glorious. Yes, yes, glorious indeed.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:15 pm »

See a dehydrated, hungry engraver in an underground construction site. Think, "Surely, there's an exit. I know I left one..."

Check, and indeed, there was no exit. The exit he could've taken had been channeled out and would require scaling several z levels of smoothed and engraved walls.

So, send a miner down to dig one out, and finally the miner gets there (it's quite a trek.) Check later and said dwarf, having had to hunt for rats, finally reaches the dining room...

...and dies of dehydration while eating.

Le sigh.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

I kinda wish that building a floor on an up/down staircase tile only removed the down stairs. makes sense and prevents me from killing my goddamn masons when I want to floor off a dangerous section... sigh.
I don't bite.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: September 24, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »

Can't you achieve that by building an up stair instead? I could've sworn they blocked off access from below.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: September 24, 2013, 01:38:11 pm »

Embarked in an evil biome. It immediately rained knock-out sludge. Falcon corpse decided it would have dwarf for dinner.

The palm enters the skull, bruising the brain!
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: September 24, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »

Can't you achieve that by building an up stair instead? I could've sworn they blocked off access from below.

problem is I don't have any miners below, just a mason. so there's just an empty floor and a dead mason after a little while.
I don't bite.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01:59 pm »

problem is I don't have any miners below, just a mason. so there's just an empty floor and a dead mason after a little while.
I realise it doesn't help with your current or past problems, but what I meant was, if in future you build an up-stair instead of a floor, you should still block of whatever is below, & not trap anyone.

Unless I have misremembered & the up-stair doesn't block the hole.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: September 24, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »

I realise it doesn't help with your current or past problems, but what I meant was, if in future you build an up-stair instead of a floor, you should still block of whatever is below, & not trap anyone.

Unless I have misremembered & the up-stair doesn't block the hole.

OHHHH. That makes a ton of sense. Do up-stairs override a up/down stair? I almost never use up-stairs.
I don't bite.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 729