Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "DoorHail" A Community Fortress  (Read 799 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
"DoorHail" A Community Fortress
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »

Ok then, let's see if this will work. I've tried this before and one thing or another always seemed to stop me from continuing into the game. No more I say. Welcome to DoorHail where dwarven idiocy meets civility. The Story is told from Tosid Sworddweller, the character I've taken on as my own. Now join in if you want to add to a story where common sense will try to rule against dwarven sense, I'm sure along the way something will happen.

Dwarves Available:

4 Male
2 Female

(Greater description below)

23rd Hematite, 51, Early Summer

We had first arrived in early spring of this year without any consequence. Our area is a rocky area with chalk covering the majority of the landscape. Looking out from the top of the hills there is a valley where a stream rolls along lazily and where a family of foxes and a few goats could be seen walking around. If you looked along the hill even with inexperienced eyes you can see many valuable ores and stones. The foremost being magnetite, Limonite, and Bauxite.

We have set up camp at the lower part of our area where the stream runs in from, it is far enough away from the main digging that it shouldn't interfere. It's also close to the stream so water for crops and drinking is easily available. Armok forbid that we run out of booze though, water is alright but the taste of wine just can not be beaten, the same as a fair lass with a long beard.

Now onto this log,My name is Tosid SwordDweller and  I'm the Mason, Mechanic, Architect,and Broker of this expedition. Among those joining me are

Nil a miner, he is skinny and while a diligent worker he is flimsy and far to clumsy for his line of work. We have no doctors with us so hopefully he can stop from hitting himself with his own pick.

Next is Erith another miner, She is diligent and it is hard to tire her. She oftens says she feels to ill to work though but she often puts on the dwarven toughness that we are known for and continues on.

Olon is our next miner, He's tall for a dwarf and quite tough, he's like Nil though with his clumsiness. His toughness saves him most of the time from getting hurt, it's actually funny to watch a stone drop down from the shaft he just dug hit him in the head and he just shakes it off like a dog.

Tun is our last miner, He is short and portly for a dwarf. I don't mind though since he is tougher than the average dwarf and unusually agile for one to.

Ushat our expedition leader and also carpenter, is pretty average for a dwarf and keeps working even when other dwarves start to slow down all the while yelling at them to keep working. He can normally keep track of his own surroundings and has a good feel for social situation. He fails to motivate us though since he stutters when he talks... unless you get him angry. Then he just swings his axe at us.

Then there is Erith the planter, cook, and brewer. She is rather portly and has a raspy voice that would grind your nerves, she is also quite clumsy and slow to heal... a dreadful combination for our source of food. She is kind to us though and is always trying to help even if it isn't needed or wanted. A kind woman but not a fair lass in the least.

Along with these dwarves with us we have four war dogs, two male and two female. Also the pack horse that pulled the wagon to the site.

That is everyone now other than the wild animals that roam around outside.

Now onto the status of our digging. Our temporary dwellings are set up and a snaking path is being dug to the area we plan to dig a new fortress that others will marvel at. We are currently debating on how to build the dining and crafting areas. The others favor the method than another famous fortress named Flarechannel had once used, but I want to do something more original. I don't mind using the fortress as inspiration but copying anothers work isn't awe-inspiring. The front entrance will be five. dwarves wide with water running on either side into the fortress. If you looked up the roof will be two to three dwarves up with a reverse battlement at the head of the entrance for defense. We haven't decided on much else other than the entrance since a shouting argument breaks out every time we try to agree on something else.

Well that about sums up how our fortress is currently... oh yeah we decided on a name. “Doorhail,” and odd name but fitting since the entrance is the only thing we have agreed on.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:59:39 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: "DoorHail" A Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:57:38 pm »

I'd be willing to join in, but I've never done a community fortress before (as a matter of fact, I don't rightly know what one is...), so if somebody could sort of bring me up to speed on what I'm supposed to actually do, I'll take part.

And I'll take Ushat.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:01:35 pm by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "DoorHail" A Community Fortress
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:58:56 pm »

Give me a miner, name them "Cognate McAwsomePick"