Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelpalace  (Read 2036 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Steelpalace
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:48:26 am »

This is the story of Steelpalace, an ambitious military outpost of the Ink of Meteors.

"Here", pointed the queen to a location on a scroll of map of the far west. "In the Desert of Flames, in the Sorcerous land."

"That's in the middle of elf territory." I was surprised. As if we had not enough troubles here already.

"They are not our enemies," she replied.

"Nor our trade partners. What's our mission there?" I asked.

"Find us a new home. We are by far the smallest of all dwarven nations in this world. In the last 100 years, three of our major Fortresses have been destroyed by forgotten beasts. The numbers of goblins of the Hex of Strategies are growing. The last war with them has cost us our best soldiers and the life of my mother, the late queen Mistem Autumnhelm. Our current peace treaty might not last for much longer. I fear for the future of Ink of Meteors." The eyes in queen Meng Specialrings' worried face looked back at the X on the map, staring absently.

"Why there? The route is very difficult, across the polar desert. Will our caravaneers even make it?"

"They will try. Found a colony on the northern foothills between Jungles of Charity and the Rare Jungles. The mountains there are harsh but if our geologists are right, we might find just what we need so desperately." Meng's eyes narrowed as she was sliding her fingers down her beardless chin.

I raised my eyebrows as I started to understand. "You mean ..."

"Shush! Don't jinx it. But if you find it, give the place a name worthy of our new mountainhomes."

My expectations were high. A safe supply of steel is indeed crucial for the survival of Ink of Meteors. So is a good army. Filled with responsibility and pride I assumed the attention posture and saluted our queen. "I'll do my best!"

Further chapters of our story:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:17:39 am by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Bittersweet embark
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:09:33 pm »

I managed to talk three good axedwarves to join the Vessel of Leagues, our expedition. One of them, Tirist, is a good teacher. I'll make her the militia commander to teach the other two. I'm a crossbowman myself, but I might still join her squad to learn some tricks with the armor and shield. The second of the axedwarves is a leatherworker. I hope he will make us some armor and clothes when our alpacas and guineafowl will multiply. Our last axedwarf is Tekkud who said he is willing to come if I let him wield a buckler instead of the shield he has to use as a part of his current uniform.

Rith is a good armorer who can't wait to hone his skills for some fine steel armor. His only condition was that we take alpacas instead of sheep. And he wants one of them as a pet. Well. I don't know yet how will we accomplish this. I imagine him spending most of the time in the heart of the mountain forging armor. An alpaca needs to grass on the pastures. Anyway, happy to have an armorer. Even if we don't find any steel, our lives will depend in large part on the armor he makes.

Rigoth is our mason. A very creative guy, I have seen some of his furnitures. While he has not mastered masonry yet, he's got a lot of potential. He said he would like to join our squads later, for he values martial prowess.

I like Ingish Ostarmeng. He is our miner. He is into music and singing, like me. A practical man, orderly, hard-working. He's very strong. I imagine him becoming good with blunt weapons.

Well, this is us:

When we arrived it was raining and snowing cats and dogs. Zounds! I forgot to bring cats and dogs. Guess we'll have to craft some vermin traps from the jungle w... wait what?! Between the Jungles of Charity and Rare jungles. Yes, it is here.  The only problem is, that these jungles are not adjacent. Rather, there is a strip of desert in between, exactly where are supposed to build a new fortress. The map is wrong. It clearly shows a thick forest on this hill top to the west, yet there is nothing but a few cloudberries buried under the snow. Anir help us!

At least Ingish, our miner is happy. For the first time in his life he saw some hematite on the way here, right down the the hill to the east. He was so awestruck that he started singing the Sienna Frangrance. I had to stop him from mining it right away. Best of all, there is chalk all around, so we have the flux to make steel. The only thing we lack is the wood.

Still, I think he'll be the first to complain about not sleeping in a cosy bed. He'll have to dig down rather quickly. Caverns is our only hope. We might get some trees there, hopefully.

Allright, Vessel of Leagues. We will make this a Steel Palace, or die trying. Strike the earth!
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: Steelpalace
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:33:26 pm »

PTW

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:52:20 pm »

PTW!

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Strike the earth!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 04:19:52 pm »

We have struck the earth in Delerkosoth (Steelpalace) on Slate 8th, 125. Since the crew complained about the inclement weather, I followed Ingish's, our miner's, recommendation to dig straight into the chalk wall to the west, rather than trying to drill down through the sandy desert ground, which would most likely contain an aquifer. That would cost us precious time.

Our mason Rigoth said he can't wait to make us some doors, tables and chairs. I think the terrible weather played its part in this decision. As soon as the entrance corridor was dug deep enough, he instantly claimed the whole entrance as his workshop. Well, I'll make him move it later. For now it's good.

To the south we built our meager dining room and moved the booze and food from the wagon inside. To the north Ingish quickly dug into the the yellow sand and sandy clay wall. That's where Rith later prepared the farm plots. We helped him planting plump helmets and sweet pods while Ingish was digging down for the search of a cavern.

When the weather has cleared we went outside scouting. Rith found pastures for our alpacas and guineahens just north above our entrance. The grass was mostly covered by snow, which was already receding. Soon it would show the green pastures.

I appointed Tirist as our militia commander and said I would join his squad as a crossbowman. We call our squad the Earthen Strokes. As we went to explore the surroundings down the hill to the east, we encountered a wolverine. Onul, our leatherworker suggested we kill it so he could make us a leather armor. I wanted to object that a wolverine leather would probably be barely enough for a loincloth, but Tirist already commaded us to charge at the poor creature, encouraging us to use this opportunity for an excercise in fighting.

It was an unpleasant "excercise" because the axedwarves had left all their weapons in the wagon. Too late to get them, the fight was already raging. Onul got bit quite badly, even fell unconscious for a while, but in the end everybody survived, with a some minor injuries. Doing what a crossbowdwarf is supposed to do, I kept my distance to get a good aim at the raging bag of lice. A good aim I took, but I had no bolts, so I just pretend-shot at it.

When we recovered, I ordered the guys to do something meaningful, like building a still, a butchery and tannery or smoothing the floors and walls. Next time I have to lay down on the stone floor, I'd like it to be at least a smooth one. Grumpily I went to check up on Ingish how it the mining's progress.

Below the chalk layer there is some granite with more hematite, then quartzite, slate, mica, schist, and diorite. But no cavern exposed yet. I told Ingish about our "excercise" with the wolverine. He regretted not having been there as he's got his pick always at hand. Next time, buddy. But you can take a look at the corpse and see if you can butcher it in some way.

As the spring progressed we harvested the plump helmets and the sweet pods. The snow at the hill top receded completely and dense hairgrass, mountain avens, and bentgrass emerged. Rigoth, our mason, who also knows some farming, reported spotting cloudberries, prickle berries, and rye (hello rye beer!). We should soon have some empty bags available for gathering.

I like taking strolls outside. There is no vegetation to the east of our entrance. It's all chalk or sand, dotted with boulders and with pebbles spilled all over the place. Curiously, this does not stop bumblebees and bees to have their colonies here. I also saw a weasel, some ravens and cockatiels from the jungle visiting our barren strip of desert. Too bad we have no trees here. How can we ever produce an abundance of steel without wood or coal?

"Zon! Zon!" Rith came running down the hill side. "A cavern! Ingish has broken into a cavern!".
"Praise Anir! With trees?"
"You bet!".

We began singing The Wisps of Pantomiming to commemorate this important event.

The Wisps of Pantomiming is a form of music used to commemorate important events originating in the Ink of Meteors. The form guides musicians during improvised performances. A singer recites nonsensical words and sounds. The entire performance accelerates as it proceeds, and it is to be soft. The melody has a mid-length phrases throughout the form. Only one pitch is ever played at a time. It is played using the gatal scale. The singer always does the main melody and should feel agitated.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:09:13 am by Nagidal »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:44:07 pm »

Your prose and your legend-mode research are excellent, sirrah! I look forward to this fort's rising. :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext