Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need beta-readers  (Read 2362 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
I need beta-readers
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:21:20 pm »

So some of you may know that I wrote a book...well, at least I wrote a really long story which has the capacity to become a book.I did it more as an experiment, to see if I could keep a story going as long as a book would need to be and still keep it interesting. Now, as I go through and read it and edit it I'm finding myself incapable of judging it objectively, I just can't like anything I write because I know whats coming. So, I need some people to read over these first two chapters and tell me if they think they'd be interested in reading the next chapters and buying the book. I write to entertain people and if my writing isn't entertaining then I have no reason to continue to publish it; so you're my test bed, should you choose to be.

As per what the novel is about I suppose you could call it "industrial-punk", as it takes place in a setting with complex machinery but little to no understanding of electronics. It follows the lives of a set of charcters in "Engine city" a subterranian power production system which provides power to the inhabitants of the surface world. They are born, live and die without ever seeing sunlight, following the ancestral commandments of a historical figure they call "The Mechanist", the creator of Engine City. A conflict between those who would continue to follow the Mechanist's commandments, the most important of which is to never leave engine city, and those who would break them as broken out and thats where the story begins. 

The download for them is here
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R0XB938N

Tell me what you think, criticize constructively, and just discuss it. If there is enough interest then I'll continue posting more chapters. That is all for now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:52:15 pm by piecewise »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: I need beta-readers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:28:02 pm »

I'll check it out.
Might be good to give a quick synopsis/summary/description in the OP.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »

A general idea/genre/setting of the story would help alot. Im downloading anyway, lets see what happens.

Edit.. uh, what program did you type this in? My notepad isnt leaving it slightly fucked up. Not a lot, but too much to make an effort of reading it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:52:20 pm by Mishy »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »

I'll check it out.
Might be good to give a quick synopsis/summary/description in the OP.
A general idea/genre/setting of the story would help alot. Im downloading anyway, lets see what happens.

Edit.. uh, what program did you type this in? My notepad isnt leaving it slightly fucked up. Not a lot, but too much to make an effort of reading it.

Done. I just don't like summarizing, because it inevitably makes things sound more stupid.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:57:03 pm »

It's rich text.
Try opening it in wordpad instead of notepad.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:22 pm »

Could you upload it in .zip format?

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 07:36:10 pm »

Just finished reading it.

I really like it so far.
I normally don't like industrial-punk type books, but you did a great job with the setting and stayed true to it.
To tell the truth, I didn't really connect with the characters. They seemed rather bland. Maybe it was just me focusing to much on the setting though.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »

I'll give this a read. I quite liked your Lovecraft-esque story from a little while ago, though this is a different genre.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 05:45:49 pm »

gonna bump this up. Anyone interested in continuing reading?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:37:21 am »

Oooh. Interesting idea.

DL'ing.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:23 am »

Wow, this is some quality stuff.

I want to see moar

srsly

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:33:06 am »

Yes.

I'll read and try and provide some constructive criticism, within the week (hopefully in the next couple of days).

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 07:53:12 pm »

I'll post MOAR soon

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 03:33:10 am »

I'll give this a read, bit busy now so i'll probably read it on the weekend.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 05:09:03 pm »

I feel like the standard of writing is very good, not my general choice of fiction but some thoughts from someone who doesn't read fantasy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've tried to be honest and give the thoughts as they occured to me, hope they help in some way.

I strongly urge you to continue. I do enjoy reading your writing just for the way it is written.