Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 25138 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames+Tomb of High Kings
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2015, 03:07:29 pm »

I heard that a blessed girdle of greed can get you some insane carrying capacity. How much money do you have?
It can, but on it's own a blessed girdle of greed helps you break even without the talents to back it up. I'd think a girdle of giant's strength might be more useful. Not sure if it can be wished for. Other good ones are scrolls of remove corruption, seven league boots, the find weakness skill, the concentration skill... Also, girdles of greed in my experience are pretty common, so not worth wasting a wish on.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2015, 03:08:43 pm »

GoGS is a pretty good wish.  Girdle of greed/carrying are useful...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2015, 03:23:11 pm »

Also; http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Archmage

Infinity Plus One Sword, anyone?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2015, 05:54:04 pm »

Also; http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Archmage

Infinity Plus One Sword, anyone?
I was actually just going to suggest that he do that.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2015, 06:02:31 pm »

I think he is a bit too much smith and not enough wizard for that.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »

After clearing the Tomb of the High Kings I head to dwarftown to do some errands before going back to the Tower.

I use the ring of djinni summoning to wish for a girdle of giant strength that gives +10 strength.

Then I dump a bunch of gold on Garth to train Strength, Wisdom particularly, and Toughness. We had ~40,000 gold. I use ~25,000 of it, then sell all my vendor trash to the general store.

Then I turn in Thrundarr's quest to become champion of the arena (I did this before the Tower of Eternal Flames) and then I give the artifact golden gladius I got from the arena championship to the grizzled gladiator in the dwarftown bar. He gives us some training in various melee skills. We also get the backstabbing skill and tactics skill.

Then I equip the girdle of giant strength and take Thrundarr's last quest. He claims a demon has been terrorizing the village and he wants us to slay it. Step outside Thrundarr's house, and oh look, there's a demon. How unusual, almost as if someone summoned it for this quest. *cough*Thrundarr's a jerk*cough*

The greater demon isn't too much trouble. It does drain our wisdom and learning stats a bit, which is bullshit. All it did was cast a spell and woop, there goes some attributes.

Anyway, turning in the quest gets us the artifact lead-filled mace "Big Punch" that deal 8d5+3 damage. Lots of damage dice for a onehanded weapon. We have no skill in maces, but we could train it.

While I'm doing all this, I get our next Corruption. "you thrive on the flesh of Order!" no idea what that does, but we aren't gonna be eating any lawful critters anytime soon. Doesn't seem to hurt us though.

So anyway, we head back to the Tower of Eternal Flames, armed with our new crystal tower shield and the lead filled mace Big Punch. Also I brought every healing potion I had.

The fight against the hordes of fire elementals and fire demons goes much better this time. Thanks to our tower shield, we can actually block attacks again! Eventually the number of monster dwindles and suddenly a force attacks my mind and confuses me. I panic and use a gem of darkness to provide some cover and retreat.

Here's the thing responsible for confusing me.

Spoiler: chaos wyrm details (click to show/hide)

This guy hurts. He hits multiple times, each hit corrupts, and he can confuse me and blast me with magic. The magic really hurts, dealing 50-100 damage in a single cast.

I pull out my rapier for this. The mace is powerful, but I'm more skilled and accurate with the rapier and need every chance to hit I can get. We can block the wyrm's attacks. Occasionally. It still gets lots of hits and criticals me into 38 hp. I chug a blessed potion of extra healing.

...and that's when my girdle of giant strength is burned away in the heat. SHIT, wasted wish. I've gone from unburdened to strained in a single turn. The one thing I lose in the Tower is the thing I spent my third wish on! Arrrgh!

I get a good hit in on the Chaos Wyrm and it starts panicking. It starts confusing me at point blank range. I get cornered with the chaos wyrm on one side and two fire demons on the other, with no chance to escape.

I chug potions while in coward mode, waiting for an opportunity when I'm not confused or near death so I can use my turn to cast teleport.

There's a chance! I cast teleport! The magic fails! SHITSHITSHITMAGICCANDOTHATOHMAN. I chug more potions!

There's another opportunity to attack the wyrm! I go berserk!

...I did it. And I'm still alive. I have almost no healing pots left but I'm alive, so that's something. I grab the chaos orb of fire and leave the tower as soon as possible. I'm alive! Aaaa~~ I thought I was gonna die to the Chaos Wyrm!

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »

Just a reminder, ALL temple levels are no-teleport zones.

The ToEF is the biggest hurdle between between the mid and end games, well done.

So are you going to eat the corpse for stat boosts or trade it for a !oCC?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2015, 08:05:33 pm »

Yeah, any character that kills the ACW is a character that can win.  Well done!

Killed any t yet?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2015, 08:31:17 pm »

The ToEF is the biggest hurdle between between the mid and end games, well done.

The corpse rotted away before I even got out of the Tower, so I can't trade it for a potion. Last time I tried eating a guardian corpse, my troll barbarian got 3 more corruptions from the Snake from Beyond. Don't think eating guardian corpses gives stat boosts, does it? Checking the wiki reveals I could've eaten the wyrm corpse for +3 Strength and +1 Mana.

Doh. I could've just removed the corruption with a scroll, in retrospect.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2015, 11:43:45 pm »

The corpse rotted away before I even got out of the Tower, so I can't trade it for a potion. Last time I tried eating a guardian corpse, my troll barbarian got 3 more corruptions from the Snake from Beyond. Don't think eating guardian corpses gives stat boosts, does it? Checking the wiki reveals I could've eaten the wyrm corpse for +3 Strength and +1 Mana.

Doh. I could've just removed the corruption with a scroll, in retrospect.
By the way, I think "Thrives on the Flesh of Order" gives you a speed boost after eating lawful creatures.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2015, 01:42:30 am »

...huh, yep, there's a bunch of new corruptions since the last time I played. It's been a while since I felt like an old fogey. Now read one of those scrolls and get that corruption off my lawn your character sheet!

Also, posting to watch and all that jazz. Always a pleasure to watch someone who knows what they're doing tackle a game that I used to play!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2015, 01:58:21 am »

...huh, yep, there's a bunch of new corruptions since the last time I played. It's been a while since I felt like an old fogey. Now read one of those scrolls and get that corruption off my lawn your character sheet!

Also, posting to watch and all that jazz. Always a pleasure to watch someone who knows what they're doing tackle a game that I used to play!
Actually, I don't think "Thrives on the Flesh of Order" has any downsides, other than counting towards your corruption limit and being unable to be received if you already have it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2015, 04:41:53 am »

Congratulations for taking out that very annoying Ancient Chaos Wyrm (that damned confusion), i'm always very happy when i manage to do that :)

I don't know if you remember, but there's a new dungeon on the world map in the revival version of ADoM , the Ice Queen Domain.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2015, 04:51:52 pm »

Y'ello?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »

Y'ello?
Thread's not dead. Have an update from days ago typed out, need to find a stopping place and sort out images and stuff.

Plus after playing a bunch of ADOM in one sitting or over the course of 1 or 2 days leaves me burned out. Think of it as a holiday.

Cool to know there's people interested though, thanks. :v
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9