Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am dumb.  (Read 1681 times)

M

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I am dumb.
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:01:00 am »

Downloaded LCS maybe a week ago, and it was only *today* that I figured out how to recruit sleepers. So I was wondering- any chance of more complete documentation at some point? The manual is kinda vague. It mentions sleepers, for instance, but I only learned how to actually *get* them while looking through the code earlier.

There were a couple other things I was wondering about. You can't invest in a safe house when you already have people in it, right? And how does promoting liberals work, exactly? I don't think the manual covers that in any detail.

Sorry if these are really obvious questions. Vague documentation, that's my excuse. Every time I think I have things figured I notice a new kink or feature- like, I use my charismatic main character to recruit every single one of my liberals, and now she has a disguise skill in, like, the high forties. I use her to single-handedly infiltrate, loot, and vandalize every area in the game :)

M

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: I am dumb.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:09:00 am »

This is probably a good place to ask this as well. Anyone here play Oubliette? I downloaded it from the-underdogs.com, and judging by the readme packed with it it's a tricky game to get running. Can't get it to work on my machine, myself.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »

I had Oubliette running before, but it wasn't in XP.  I didn't need to do anything special.  Got it from 'dogs too.

I don't have time to improve the docs right now.  There are plenty of helpful posts here that describe how the game works, but it's annoying to have to look through them, I know.  You can invest in safe houses any time, if I remember.  To promote liberals, from main screen press R then U.  You promote them so that it is harder to lose them to loss of contact, but then they are closer to giving up your boss if the police put pressure on them.

[ August 13, 2004: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:56:00 pm »

Running the GOUB.EXE worked fine for me with no pain at all on XP. But, as always, life is complicated.
As for documentation, it's not that you're dumb, the Toad is. FOr some reason he always insists on doing joke manuals rather than actually helping people enjoy his games. Perverse creature...

X

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:04:00 am »

NYA!

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 09:45:00 pm »

LCS was a little confusing for me too, but if you get used to using the tab key and the z key you'll be able to cycle through your hideouts and then invest as much as you want with them.  Another problem could be that your people are currently at the homeless shelter, which cannot be upgraded but supplies food.  If you want to try to live someplace else, go to the "GO FORTH TO STOP EVIL" selection and then select the industrial district and then choose among your potential new hideouts.  Don't forget to "assemble new squads" so you have the option to "GO FORTH TO STOP EVIL".  Push R and then Z to assemble a new squad that can move around.

Here's a brief summary of how promotions work.  Your first character is the "founder" of the liberal crime squad.  To assure that your entire operation doesn't crumble, your leader has to find others to do potentially dangerous jobs for him or her.  Once your leader personally convinces others to join, they become close associates and therefore do not require promotions (and cannot get them anyway).  However, if one of the people you (the founder) convinced to join your cause convinces his or her own new member of the liberal crime squad then the newest member becomes an associate to not the founder but the associate of the associate.  If the person who convinced the newest associate dies, then the newest associate will no longer work for the liberal crime squad.  To avoid this, you can "promote" people who are not the founder's close associates into the founder's close associates.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.  But there are other weird exceptions to the associate rule.  If you go to the sweatshops or the CEO's residence and "Free the oppressed peoples" in these particular places, they become "founders" just like your original "founder" and don't need to be promoted.  In fact, even if your original founder dies, these freed oppressed people will keep the Liberal Crime Squad alive and the system won't collapse.  Here is a note of caution however; it has never occurred in my games, but apparently the sweatshop workers can squeal about your organization.  For the people who had experienced this, they said that the way to avoid it is to make sure that they have a lot of "juice" which one can get from entering buildings and destroying machines and so forth.  Don't hesitate to ask more questions...

[ August 13, 2004: Message edited by: Jim ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 12:08:00 am »

Hrm, the exception in the last paragraph sounds like a bug.  Noted.

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 08:12:00 pm »

Wow, who knew that that was actually a bug?  I just figured that the oppressed people would have the same kind of will the original founder had.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 08:52:00 pm »

That could very well be I suppose, but since the player is the original founder, you must be able to contact your subordinates or else not control them.  Or something like that.