Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 321943 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1665 on: June 03, 2018, 10:50:51 pm »

SS13 has a ton of servers and the Goon station is incredibly relaxed. I've taught quite a few people about engineering when they straight up say they don't know what to do. Once you learn enough you could single highhandedly run the station, build another station, or flood everything with toxic gas while the AI has to roleplay thinking everyone is a monkey. Just don't randomly murder people and you won't be banned.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: June 04, 2018, 08:57:39 am »

Paradise Station (website being nanotrasen.se if memory serves) is my go-to, and I haven’t been banned for being an assistant or anything extreme like that. There are some definite bad eggs who show up, but those usually don’t last more than a few rounds before getting banned.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:27 pm »

I was going to suggest Exanima, but there are a lot of complaints that they just stopped developing it.
It's more so that they're bad at communicating. They released something a couple months ago as beta, although that might've been for backers only (accessible only through their site), and it was pretty unfinished, tho it did redo some of the starting areas with new tilesets. They also apparently redid the AI, and though the way I generally play I just pummel everything to death, I did spot some differences (and bugs) in that version.

They're apparently more active on their Discord, though it'd probably help their PR if they took the time to at least update their Steam news once a month. You can dig around and find some progress updates on the Steam forums, but it is kind of difficult to find for a commercial game they're trying to sell.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: June 04, 2018, 01:38:22 pm »

Also consider that Exanima is only a tech demo for an RPG they're making (Sui Generis)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: June 04, 2018, 03:50:57 pm »

I would strongly suggest you don't go off of third hand reports alone to judge Space Station 13. There are a lot of sour apples who don't fit into the community of the various servers and end up getting banned-- generally for justified reasons. Some people don't fit the playstyle of a server, and they complain, but fail to realize there is a server for almost every playstyle. There is a lot of drama about servers and admins and such but most of it is petty and can be safely ignored. Most people are incredibly helpful, and generally about 30-40% of large server's population are assistants, so I disagree it puts a target on your back. The only way you get a target on your back is by playing antagonists (don't, when you're new), playing certain xeno races (there are a few races that are controversial as seen being catering to furries, and playing as those races might have you treated worse off by human players, but it also adds a nice RP aspect to the game as well, but I would avoid if new), and if you purposely start trouble. Otherwise you should generally be fine, but random deaths aren't unheard of.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: June 04, 2018, 05:54:49 pm »

This isn't a third hand report. What I posted was my actual experience with the game.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: June 04, 2018, 06:23:21 pm »

Definitely a first-hand report here as well. Outdated of course, but still probably useful.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: June 04, 2018, 09:23:23 pm »

This isn't a third hand report. What I posted was my actual experience with the game.

I was talking to him and referring to your report. I don't know what the background is or what kind of experience you had, but I've never experienced anything like that in 6 years of playing SS13, so I'm somewhat skeptical, with due respect.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: June 05, 2018, 02:17:56 am »

Anyway, you guys convinced me to give the game another try and so I did. Went on Goonstation and spent some time faffing around trying to figure out mining. That was pretty fun. Guess I was just unlucky last time.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 05, 2018, 03:35:48 am »

Anyway, you guys convinced me to give the game another try and so I did. Went on Goonstation and spent some time faffing around trying to figure out mining. That was pretty fun. Guess I was just unlucky last time.

Really depends on the server honestly. Although there is 100% a lot of pretentious RP bs. Kinda like MUDs...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: June 06, 2018, 05:58:01 am »

I personally can't stand Goonstation, but whatever floats your boat.
Glad you gave it another shot!

Really depends on the server honestly. Although there is 100% a lot of pretentious RP bs. Kinda like MUDs...
That's the entire point of the game, though. ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 06, 2018, 06:26:35 am »

I'm looking for a game with great load out customisation like Chromehounds for example. Is there anything with the depth of Chromehounds or even more?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: June 06, 2018, 12:40:01 pm »

I'm looking for a game with great load out customisation like Chromehounds for example. Is there anything with the depth of Chromehounds or even more?

You can check out M.A.V. I have no idea what state of development it is currently in, but it's the spiritual successor to Chromehounds. Likewise, if you are alright with a less graphically oriented approach you can try Polybot-7 and/or Cogmind, both of which can be found on this forum.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 07, 2018, 12:19:05 am »

I personally can't stand Goonstation, but whatever floats your boat.
Glad you gave it another shot!

That's the entire point of the game, though. ???   

He's probably talking about excessive RPing. One time, an admin wanted to ban me because I should not have been able to shoot him at point blank range with a laser gun because I was not security and because the gun would have recoil...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 07, 2018, 10:10:22 am »

A little A.) a little B.), the point of the game is to have fun. There aren't exactly many actual rules concerning SS13.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 179