Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125229 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1065 on: February 07, 2010, 08:05:41 pm »

Finally have a really good story to share. :D

I finally decided to kill off my hammerer, so I put him in a catapult pillbox and built and locked a door behind him. The door was opened, and ding, dong, the hammerer was dead.

While he was fighting dehydration, I set up a nice little Grand Mausoleaum just for him. I put a tomb on the obsidian floor I'd made over the magma pipe, and once he was inside, designated channels around the coffin.

You can probably guess what happened next. Suddenly (and yes, this happened even though I was there, watching so nothing would happen) the highly experienced miner is standing on the coffin, channeling away the rock around him. Before I can hit pause, he collapses through the floor into the magma, while the coffin magically jumps away and is left sitting on the rock floor, unharmed.

Fortunately, some magma spilled over and the coffin, with the hammerer inside, was reduced to Molten olivine pretty quickly. Still put a pretty big dampener on the glee I felt for my "magma tomb" project, though.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 08, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »

I decided that I needed to increase the size of my military, as 6 dwarves defending a fort of 110+ was rather silly.

Well...

I don't know what mod you're playing (other than that it apparently includes Orcs), and I don't know how much more hardcore Orcs are than goblins, but 6 champions in mediocre quality steel armor is all I've ever needed and my fort's at 260+...

I don't even bother chaining dogs at the entrance to guard against thieves anymore. Ambushes wasted two separate packs, and between the eight dogs in question they caught two kobolds and a goblin. Not exactly cost-effective when I can activate the nearest pair of champs and have them rush outside and hurl the offender into something solid before it's out of sight of the fort...

Then again, you always need moar dakka. No exceptions. Even when "dakka" is hammers and axes and whatnot.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 08, 2010, 08:06:50 pm »

6 Champions can lose to as few as 12 orcs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 08, 2010, 08:23:40 pm »

Good lord, they're that hardcore?

Here's hoping they make it to vanilla someday. Give the carp a run for their money.

Note to self: increase construction priority of siege battery and dwarven mech hangar.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:50 am »

Good lord, they're that hardcore?

Here's hoping they make it to vanilla someday. Give the carp a run for their money.
They won't. According to Toady, goblins and orcs are basically and mythologically (is that a word?) the same. Some people call them orcs, some call them goblins. So, the Orc Mod orcs are rather just Goblins++.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 09, 2010, 09:11:06 am »

There's also people who believe that Tolkien's Uruk-hai were just half-orc, half-human, and ended up enormous due to hybrid vigor, sort of like ligers.

Anyway, dumb thing.  I spent 2 solid hours on 6 attempts to punch through a double aquifer.  The 6th try was successful, and I channeled down to discover... the soil underneath wasn't an aquifer!  It was a friggin' single aquifer, even though my first single aquifer punch had flooded!  Arrrggg!
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

m00npirate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 09, 2010, 03:25:14 pm »

Bringing 50 bituminous coal to a map I knew had magma >_>

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 09, 2010, 03:27:01 pm »

So you have plenty of coal to make steel with.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 09, 2010, 04:27:38 pm »

So you have plenty of coal to make steel with.

I decided to make the orcs tougher so I gave them steel instead of iron. 
I say that because I'm almost done with my magma trap which will allow me to switch from using coal iron and flux to make steel, to instead forge steel from magma, blood and corrupted souls.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1074 on: February 09, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »

I just had a pretty major one.

Apparently when designating Horizontal Axles, you can use the same u-k-m-h resize thing as with constructions.

Yeah.  So I didn't know that.

But it wasn't that hard to designate them by hand...I try not to move power too far and I'm quick at "h-enter h-enter h-enter".  The real killer thing was that making axles longer costs less wood.  Lots less.  As in, you can make a 10-tile axle for the price of 3 1-tile ones.

D'oh!

I now have a forest of extra wood.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:18:37 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 10, 2010, 07:09:04 am »

Was designing a catapult pillbox at the front gate of my fort... and I discovered that catapults don't fire over walls >_< wtf  I put fortifications in them and destroyed one goblin squad using them though. :D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 10, 2010, 12:25:55 pm »

Was designing a catapult pillbox at the front gate of my fort... and I discovered that catapults don't fire over walls >_< wtf  I put fortifications in them and destroyed one goblin squad using them though. :D

Happened to me too :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 10, 2010, 02:55:24 pm »

In my confusion with the mechanics of magma forges, I frustratedly ordered the entire room to be channeled, not knowing I had to channel, then place forges.  I lost a miner as he swung his pick at his feet, condemning him to the magma.

Later on I accidentally poked a hole in the magma wall in my mad lust for obsidian.  The red stuff flowed out down the stairs into the gold/olivine mines, slaying all of my miners. 
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 10, 2010, 03:47:32 pm »

Embarked on a desert map completely flat and evil.  I was planning on having the center of the fort be this massive circular staircase going around a big hole, with bridges crossing the gap at neccessary places, and to put a glass roof on the top of it after I get the industries moving.  And then to set up a massive gobbo maze with traps galore outside.

So I'm mining out a pretty good looking circle hole, and I get to the 3rd z level down and... AQUIFER >_< doh.

EDIT: I reembarked, found another red sand site with magma pipe and no aquifer this time... so I'm digging the staircase and what do you know, It was directly on top of the magma pipe! AAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! Guess I'll just keep trying...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:19:28 pm by darkrider2 »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 10, 2010, 07:12:29 pm »

Just had this one.

I have a new setup I'm using on embark which eschews the forge since it generally takes me a while to get everything going so that I need it (currently just bought three from the dwarven caravan in year 2 of the fortress). However, since I had a magma pipe and lots of sand and a burning desire (get it?) to make weapon traps with lots of green glass trap components, I went and created enough magma paths to handle my standard 2x2 glass furnaces and smelters and figured when I got around to needing the forges I could just make some more paths and channel out a tile or two to get the flow going again. So I did that.

In order to get the new paths I created a stairway down and then another up one below and made the paths. When I was ready to feed the paths, I designated a channel made where the stairs were (so no dwarves would go down) and then when that was done I had another channel made to get the flow going. A few seconds later I get a message saying my Legendary Miner had just burned to death... It seems he removed the down staircase from below, trapping himself.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 729