Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129525 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1500 on: April 19, 2010, 02:15:43 am »

Well, then explain the explosion.
くコ:彡

lt2p

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 19, 2010, 03:36:51 am »

Just now had a facepalm moment. I was just trying out the new version, building farms. I figured out how to irrigate them, that went ok. So I gave the constuction order, but nobody came to build it. I made sure all the right labors were on, but still nobody would make the farm. Then migrants came. I still had enough meat and fish from embark, but the booze supples were dwindling fast. I was panicking, fearing alcohol shortages and tantrums. I quickly started gathering all the plants I could and started making prickle berry wine- bad booze is better than no booze.
It was about then I remembered I had lock up the farms when irrigating them to prevent floods and hadn't unlocked them.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH@#&%$&@(*#%$#&*@*&#*%*@!!!!!!!!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 19, 2010, 05:27:00 am »

Well, then explain the explosion.
you explain it, your claims defy the limitations of the game. the only explanation i could come up with (which is pretty damn tenuous anyway) was that your stockpile was being held up only by supports and the dragon (which is a building destroyer -and fireimmune too btw) could have knocked them down in the flaming confusion. that's pretty damn unlikely even in an above ground fort unless you have some major design flaws.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 19, 2010, 10:50:58 am »

Who won?

Nobody even of note.  A spearman wielding a modded lance.  I'm not sure if it was one of the low or high level ones though.  Everybody gained all kinds of skill in the fighting and the only indication of who it wasn't, was that he wasn't a commander because he was wearing iron instead of steel.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:52:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:16 pm »

<hurf why do the forums hate me?>
So my first suscessful fort in the 2010 version  is was running along nicely in its 5th year, just shy of 100 dwarves. The layout of my fort above ground was a small tower-road rising from what would one day become a lake, with a bridge leading to solid land. Being nervous about how effective my military would  be I had built weapon traps containing several assorted training weapons to soften the goblins up for my military.

Turns out this is a bad idea when you're still using the future lake bed, as weapon traps will catapult the invading goblins, unharmed, down into the middle of your very shocked dwarves. Two back to back ambushes of hammer goblins later and I was down to a handful of tantruming dwarves, and some very satisfied looking goblins.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »

<hurf why do the forums hate me?>
So my first suscessful fort in the 2010 version  is was running along nicely in its 5th year, just shy of 100 dwarves. The layout of my fort above ground was a small tower-road rising from what would one day become a lake, with a bridge leading to solid land. Being nervous about how effective my military would  be I had built weapon traps containing several assorted training weapons to soften the goblins up for my military.

Turns out this is a bad idea when you're still using the future lake bed, as weapon traps will catapult the invading goblins, unharmed, down into the middle of your very shocked dwarves. Two back to back ambushes of hammer goblins later and I was down to a handful of tantruming dwarves, and some very satisfied looking goblins.

That's epic! Now replace shallow lake bed with dwarfs with 20z pit with a pool of lava. :D
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 20, 2010, 03:59:48 am »

Alright... this was very... very... VERY painful!

I start out in a rather moderate setting, but everything goes totally awesome! My fortress goes deep enough with hitting a cave, the stocks say, that there is a mysterious adamantine rapier located "somewhere", my planter gets moody, claims a metalsmithy and produces a gold chain mail shirt AND becomes legendary armorer (*gasp*), the waterfall on my stairway works just excellent....

...then: My dwarves refuse to dump the stones from the open-air section of my farm. I dug down a lot of levels for it to work so I can plant aboveground crops.... but the enormous amount of stone remains untouched... but only the ones from the dug down area. the other ones were dumped correctly. Building a farm on them had "some" of them removed, but the farmer just hanged himself trying to free the farm plot to be. Since it was late and I was already frustrated from an earlier failed fortress, i abandoned.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 20, 2010, 01:09:52 pm »

I embarked on a glacier, i knew my dwarves chances or survival were about 0, but i was not counting them to survive, just build the basic fortress layout before dying from thirst so i could have a new dwarf expedition reclaim it and try to find a cave with water.

In that second expedition, i was then busy marking all those hundred of clothes and item as "reclaim" (boy how much that is annoying to micro manage...), checked there was not too much yeti and bear zombies (my previous expedition killed several) and left the game running while i was browsing internet.

Then after a while i checked how things were going on and noticed the immaculate white surface of the glacier was full of big red trails that looked to me blood.
I looked everywhere and every sub menus to see what was going on, who died, who attacked that insanely and where were all the body chunks responsible of that amount of blood.
Nowhere to be seen.

Then i checked with K .... it was just dwarf ale.

Damn, got me nearly into panic mode for nothing lol.

(though the whole expedition and migrants all died from thirst too, as i was never able to find those damned caves)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 20, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »

So, I started a new fortress today..

Among my earlier jobs, is to get some statues erected to shiny the place up until the grand hall can be finished.

The first one my mason creates?

A dwarf being struck down by an elf.

Meet Unib McBeardless.

Secondary facepalm:

I assigned my carpenter to put the blasphemous thing on a wooden platform over the river, deconstruct the tile connecting it, and let it swim with the carp.

Alas, the carpenter, one of the few truly useful members of my fortress, sent himself into the river along with it. A miner was close enough by to dig a ramp for him to escape on, but decided at the last moment that a tasty drink would be a much better idea.

The carpenter, as soon as I've drained the lake, will get an engraved tomb in the hillside.
The miner, who as it turns out is also the mason responsible, will have the statue re-built beside his grave.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:12:33 pm by Tenth Speed Writer »
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 20, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »

Failing to remember dwarfs claim rooms  by themself, so  making like 40 rooms at once blows doing it manually!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 20, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »

Failing to remember dwarfs claim rooms  by themself, so  making like 40 rooms at once blows doing it manually!
OMG, I've been manually assigning all this time!  As a new player (only a week in), I had no idea.  I need to read the DF wiki more closely!

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 20, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

They're not so good at it right now.  Keep an eye out, or you'll have a guy end up working so hard that he forgets to claim a room.  These new dwarves are all Office Space-style workaholics. 

Ummmm, yeah, Urist, we're gonna need to go ahead and keep smelting that galena until next month, okay?
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 20, 2010, 10:08:33 pm »

In that second expedition, i was then busy marking all those hundred of clothes and item as "reclaim" (boy how much that is annoying to micro manage...

You HAVE found out about  (d)esignate->b->(c)laim  haven't you? I just put the curser in one corner, then use the shift+arrow keys to goto the other side of the map, and reclaim whole z-levels like that.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:06 pm »

Let's see...
1st: After draining a murky pool, for some reason I decided to dig a path to it to my main fort. Given that the method of draining it was building a channel out of one side so it could drain out naturally... I realized what I had done when some goblins tried to come in through that way. Also, when my fortress had degenerated into a tantrum spiral, I decided to flood it. With my cistern. It was only when it started calming down and when I got messages such as 'Urist McMayor has died of thirst' did I realize that I kinda doomed my fortress to being mostly underwater.
2nd: Half of my dwarfs dying to a single sturgeon. Note to self: don't build a well directly over a lake next time.
Current: 'Urist Mcimmigrant has died of thirst'. Turns out he had walled him/herself in when I was making a wall to cover the massive hole I had made to facilitate punching through an aquifer.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 729