Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129483 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2805 on: October 14, 2010, 10:28:22 am »

No! Is she still alive!? Try to keep her alive! Science! I need to see what kind of crazy awesome diagnosis Urist McChiefMedicalDwarf gives her!
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:58 am »

Okay, I had a goblin thief, chased away with my "humble" force (total overkill, but who cares).

As soon as the guys walked back, I noticed one of them was carrying a bed. Dunno if he intended to actually use that as a weapon, but i still cant stop gniffing by the fact that you can actually kill a goblin with a bed...

EDIT: Seems that it is an unmarried woman... My day begins to turn into something even more funnier :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:45:35 am by mr_seeker »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: October 14, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »

Okay, I had a goblin thief, chased away with my "humble" force (total overkill, but who cares).

As soon as the guys walked back, I noticed one of them was carrying a bed. Dunno if he intended to actually use that as a weapon, but i still cant stop gniffing by the fact that you can actually kill a goblin with a bed...

EDIT: Seems that it is an unmarried woman... My day begins to turn into something even more funnier :P

She must be really desperate if you ask me.  ???

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: October 14, 2010, 01:08:01 pm »

So another siege arrived at Crystalroses. I sent the military outside to wait for the goblins. However, I accidentally issued a station order for the marksdwarf squad into a squad of goblins. I noticed this pretty quickly and told them to station at the archery tower.

Then I see a marksdwarf head straight into a squad of goblin pikemen, apparently following the earlier station command, and of course I didn't assign any armor to him. I sent the other military after him in an effort to save him. But I was too late. :( Luckily the other dwarf was asleep when this happened.

Note to Self: Remember that the squads menu swaps letters for the military squads when scrolling down.
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

DPunch4

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBurger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: October 15, 2010, 02:25:28 am »

I wont use the real name but-

Urist McSuperCreative crafted a badass pig iron hammer- "On the item is an image of Badass Hammer the pig iron war hammer in pig iron.

Urist McCarpender decides to go moody and make an artifact bed.. that depicts the very same artifact bed.. "Image of the blowing lock, the alder bed, in alder"

Next I'll be getting an axe with an axe engraved in it... ???
I was almost right...
Urist McSuperCreative crafted a badass pig iron hammer- "On the item is an image of Badass Hammer the pig iron war hammer in pig iron.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: October 15, 2010, 02:46:48 am »

so... I have a neat little fort started on a peninsula on a lake, and I have a little castle above ground and a gap int eh aquifer I managed to hit going down to solid rock.

I make a moat around the castle, and remove all the ramps (and I made the moat go wide around the farms one layer down, face palm averted!)

face palm 1: I left a ramp so the miners could get out of the moat- but I didn't leave a way to get back in to the fortress... my miners hang out down there for a month or two before I figure out why and construct some floors bridging the moat.

face palm 2: I'd built the floors to get my miners back inside and keep them from dehydrating, and I rebuilt them off to the side of my entrance, then built the bridge next to it, then finally deconstructed the floor tiles... all at once.  atleast one tile ends up supported only by the bridge, caving in and taking one of my miners (and starting seven) into the moat where he breaks a leg and botha rms and damages his liver.

face palm 3: I hastily construct a hospital for my miner, and enable the various healing labors on what migrants happen to have come with them (no diagnostician, a random dorf gets picked as chief medical dorf and diagnostics enabled) but I had no dorf with skill in suturing, so I didn't enable it on anyone... apparently, dressing and bone setting have to wait until suturing is done.  I finally figure out why no one is caring for my miner after he is pale with infection (the stray kitten that fell with him succumbed to infection not to long before) and my miner succumbs to infection himself as the newly appointed suturer is just beginning his work.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: October 15, 2010, 06:19:35 am »

2 classic examples of how NOT to do it:

1. When you assume that a place is safe, dont think that the caves below are safe too. I did everything to protect the entrance, but in the end got 5 wounded dwarves due to the fact that some blind cave ogres got in my food supply.

2. Dont rely that the game will bring you an Architect. I didnt get anyone for over a year, and due to this, my fortress stopped attracting any migrants. I got lots of metalsmiths (which I dont use) and eventually I abandoned the fortress because even though I could sustain it myself, I couldnt get any replacements when my miners got killed (unfortunate cave-in).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:30:09 am by mr_seeker »

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: October 15, 2010, 06:47:28 am »

In reply to my last message: Just found out that you can assign dwarves to make a TD, without someone who knows Architecture. Wasted 6 hours waiting *facepalm*.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:50 am »

Dumped/atomsmashed 35321 stones, realized too late that I  could have done the same with a single cave-in.
Current Jobs:
Facedesk   A R

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: October 15, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »

Discovering the mass construction build button. Try building a replica of Solomons' temple without it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: October 15, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »

Discovering the mass construction build button. Try building a replica of Solomons' temple without it.

Does that one actually exist  :o :-X

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: October 15, 2010, 03:37:22 pm »

Does that one actually exist  :o :-X

This one might be close...http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62507.msg1433291#msg1433291
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: October 15, 2010, 03:59:42 pm »

Take those pictures and divide the epicosity by about 10 and that's what I did. A chalk contraption about 7 z levels high with wooden panelling on the inside. Still took me a while and now my dwarves run through open grass to have breaks. Fun.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »

I dug a hole into a murky pool, forgetting to make some mechanisms and pressure plates to halt the expansion of the water so that it would stop on my farm plot. *facepalm*.

Then I let my chief medical dwarf's skills get rusty by not building a danger room. *facepalm*. I didn't build a danger room ASAP. *facepalm*. I made wooden training axes and wooden spikes instead of training spears. *facepalm*.

Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #2819 on: October 15, 2010, 07:09:20 pm »

What does allowing a dwarfs skills to go rusty mean?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 729