Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125222 times)

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3810 on: February 09, 2011, 03:16:13 am »

My first dwarf death was pretty facepalm-worthy.

I'd just appointed him to the military and, whilst sparring with the commander, a kobold thief struck! Fath the recruit took off after him enthusiastically- stepping into a 1x1 ditch filled with water. He drowned very quickly. :(

I facepalmed again when he possessed a farmer, who later started murdering everyone nearby.

EDIT: Forgot about my first ever fortress. Managed to flood the entire thing (the entire thing) because I hadn't grasped the z-levels / water physics idea.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:07 am »

My first dwarf death was pretty facepalm-worthy.

I'd just appointed him to the military and, whilst sparring with the commander, a kobold thief struck! Fath the recruit took off after him enthusiastically- stepping into a 1x1 ditch filled with water. He drowned very quickly. :(

I facepalmed again when he possessed a farmer, who later started murdering everyone nearby.

EDIT: Forgot about my first ever fortress. Managed to flood the entire thing (the entire thing) because I hadn't grasped the z-levels / water physics idea.

:-\ Ditto.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: February 10, 2011, 03:35:20 pm »

In one of my earlier forts I built a big deep pit in front of the entrance with a bridge over it.   Later on, I decided to put my main hallway through the bottom of this pit to help ward off cave adaptation.

Then a bunch of goblins showed up, with crossbows. 

Me: Why did they just run up to the edge of the pit and what are they doing? 
Goblins: TARGET PRACTICE!  Wooo Hoo!
Dwarves: Ach! There's a goblin bolt in my nose!
Me: *facepalm*
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: February 10, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »

Got to the circus for the first time ever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »

I was digging out a bedroom area.
Then I clicked dig on a spot which was just under my farm(Two levels down) Soo I thought it was just left over water from  the floor above.. Turns out it was an Aquifer. And it flooded my bedroom area, killing many.

And another time I built a screw system bringing lava up from the near bottom.
Build the lava hold out of the wrong material. Fortress was flooded with lava :/
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »

designated mine rather than upramps
cave-ins

reloaded to previous autosave
sigh

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: February 11, 2011, 05:33:19 pm »

Kol, captain of Deadgate's military, just killed another goblin. The adamantine clad legendary +5 dwarf walk toward the goblin bowman...

... And he dodges an arrow and fall into a 5 z-level high pit.
/Facepalm.

(He survived, but yea... After two seasons he is still in coma.)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:08 pm »

Kol, captain of Deadgate's military, just killed another goblin. The adamantine clad legendary +5 dwarf walk toward the goblin bowman...

... And he dodges an arrow and fall into a 5 z-level high pit.
/Facepalm.

(He survived, but yea... After two seasons he is still in coma.)

That just makes him all the more epic. Ten years from this day he will awaken to the smell of blood and smoke, lift his cobweb-covered axe from the corner, and rush forth the hack down the invaders and go down in a blaze of glory.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: February 11, 2011, 06:36:42 pm »

Human diplomat walks onto map and instantly drops dead (possibly from old age but not 100% sure. There were no combat messages though.) Next summer, the humans siege me.

Face meet palm.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: February 11, 2011, 08:04:30 pm »

Mass designating the channeling of a mountaintop to cleave the top off of it = many dead miners. Later I found out that you can mine out each layer and collapse the whole thing using supports.

Channeling out the square of a volcano wall, hoping it'll flood the room I've created to go beneath my forges. The main staircase of the fortress was unblocked. My fortress becomes a new extension of the volcano.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: February 12, 2011, 02:52:44 am »

Went to found yet another fortress. All was going well and andy, until I realized that the aquifer noted in the embark screen actually didn't extend to this area, meaning some difficulty with earlier irrigation. Though it would be a stretch, and probably require a couple of years to fill a cistern, the nearby murky pools were enough to get some farms going, and things were looking good. Then a Sasquatch decided to make himself cozy in the cistern. It was a war of attrition, and he won.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: February 12, 2011, 05:12:34 am »

Built high walls.  Built an extension for a wall that I later dismantled, leaving a random floor tile blocked by a wall, about 4 z-levels up.  Removed the wall, set about removing the floor;  accidently built another wall blocking in the mason, but realised in enough time to set him to deconstruct it.

Then; goblin siege - mostly crossbows.  Although everyone else got into the burrow, Urist McHangingMason didn't, and instead became a crossbow piñata.  So my best mason died hanging 4 levels over the outside of the fort.  That sucked.

However, it did lure the gobbos into the line of my magma tap, and Urist was commemorated with the BBQ of 8 goblins directly below him in a blaze of lava.  That melted 4 weapon traps, 3 cage traps, and the guard goat...

Note to self - when planning next magma weapon, pay attention to collateral damages...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: February 12, 2011, 01:56:46 pm »

Mayor demands: "bonobo bone armor stand in dining room".  He is also a legendary speardwarf. I'm renaming him Mr. Kurtz
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: February 12, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

Mayor demands: "bonobo bone armor stand in dining room".  He is also a legendary speardwarf. I'm renaming him Mr. Kurtz

After the 'Heart of Darkness'/'Apocalypse Now' character?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: February 12, 2011, 07:13:07 pm »

I forgot to change the baby limit to a reasonable level.

My population cap is 120. My actual population currently sits at 164.

There are a total of 51 babies and children... *facepalm*
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 729