Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129500 times)

spartacus9000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4230 on: April 10, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »

I started a new game today and as I was preparing for my journey (not at all carefully), I meant to get rid of the more expensive training axes to allow for more points to be put into things like food. However, after about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why my miners weren't doing anything when I obviously designated places to be mined out, I realized that neither of my miners had picks on them...and that I hadn't gotten rid of the training axes, but rather the PICK axes...I will no longer assume that MinerMcStoopidDwarf isn't doing his job as he was programed to...

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: April 10, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »

Hmmm, it's been a while since my last siege, let's check who is outside my fort... Ahhh, not much, my legendary miner is a fair bit away but I HIGHLY doubt anything is going to happen... how funny would it be if I got a sie-OH FOR FUCKS SAFE DWARF FORTRESS

He's dead, not surprising with that many lashers and pikemen stabbing you, I have four more.

Speaking of my other miners, one of them is arranging a party now that the seige is broken. Charming.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: April 10, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »

I just had this Doh! moment.

I setup legendary McSmithy to gold stud all my masterworked adamantine armour, with all doors to other items he might grab locked - double and triple checked all access. He starts working and grabs from the armour pile I wanted, so I leave him to it.
Unfortunately, McWeapons at the forge beside him was making copper bolts, but must have been getting a drink at the time.

I didn't become aware of any of this until, I got curious about what my archers were shooting at the target range.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: April 10, 2011, 04:06:21 pm »

Apparently, while channeling the water out of a 1-z-level deep pool produces a decently fast stream, tunneling into the bottom of a 2 z-level deep pool creates a water cannon.

Luckily, my miner managed to get a hold of something apparently, and somehow is now inside the pool. Otherwise he'd have been blown out with all the water and over the edge of an underground deep pit. That'd have been messy.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4234 on: April 10, 2011, 04:12:23 pm »

i was removing ramps. with four or five miners in a 2*3 moat.
it spanned several z level.
the ones at the end decided it would be a lot of !!fun!! to dig out from beneath the feets of my legendary miners.
porridge of dwarf ensued.
because i still hadn't filled the moat with water. or magma. and those down decided to finish the job of the legendary, digging away the ramps by standing on top of them. hell yeah. lost 6 miners in one shot!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: April 10, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

I was trying to figure out why all my dwarves on the surface were idle and the medical dwarves weren't using murky pools for water, when I realized that after a not so deadly clown made of steam broke down the door to the caverns (It came out of nowhere), I had panicked and sealed off the surface from the rest of my fort. Goodbye Urist McInfection and starving farm animals.
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: April 10, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

I tried to tame enemy mounts from a siege. Game gave them the 'stray' prefix so I thought all was well. Went to butcher them, they escape and kill my mayor. Major tantrum spiral begins and leaves me with 3 dwarfs.

One of the dwarfs is killed by a ghost.

Damnit.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: April 11, 2011, 04:51:47 am »

"Siege peaceful after reclaim" bug does not apply to liaisons.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: April 11, 2011, 08:33:49 am »

While I was trying to get all the valuable metal out of the moat I was digging, I accidentally breached the brook I was planning on filling said moat with. Luckily there weren't any dwarfs in the moat at that moment so I only lost one room before I could get a wall up to save my fort.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: April 11, 2011, 10:33:21 am »

Guess where my fortress is going in a hand-basket?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: April 11, 2011, 10:33:39 am »

The Circus? :P

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: April 11, 2011, 10:58:40 am »

In a metaphorical sense. The tantrum spiral has begun and the seige isn't even over yet.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:59 am »

In a metaphorical sense. The tantrum spiral has begun and the seige isn't even over yet.

I'm jealous. Haven't been sieged in ages... (It would probably help if I played more, though. :P)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: April 11, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »

Due to a Fey Mood I am now the owner of a Raw Adamantine Quern.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: April 11, 2011, 11:35:58 pm »

Due to a Fey Mood I am now the owner of a Raw Adamantine Quern.

Build it in a public place and use that sucker for milling.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 729