Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125169 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4455 on: May 15, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »

I facepalmed recently when a gang of murderous, bloodthirsty goblins tore through my fledgling fortress. I don't know where the bloody hell they came from, but I was yet to be a year old and they murdered my dwarves like they were kittens.

Your civilization can start out officially at war with goblins, which I suspect speeds up their arrival at your fort. When you're picking a new site, TAB through the various options until you come to the "other civilizations" list. If your chosen civilization is at war with anyone, goblin or otherwise, it will actually say WAR in red. Default level with the goblins is a dashed red line.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: May 15, 2011, 07:36:00 pm »

Deserved! :D

xD Yes. I did.

Your civilization can start out officially at war with goblins, which I suspect speeds up their arrival at your fort. When you're picking a new site, TAB through the various options until you come to the "other civilizations" list. If your chosen civilization is at war with anyone, goblin or otherwise, it will actually say WAR in red. Default level with the goblins is a dashed red line.

I wasn't at war, I checked that. I've yet to be properly at war - mostly 'cause something goes wrong in the first few years.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: May 16, 2011, 02:27:24 am »

Just about finished a 116 level pump stack when I read that marble isn't magma-safe like I thought, and I have marble blocks in some pumps near the bottom. Sigh.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: May 16, 2011, 09:15:57 am »

2 things come to mind from the current fort
I notice a strangely named dorf (not mine)in the dead list who becomes a ghost, wonder who he was. Engraver later makes 2 pictures. one mentioning the disappearance of the outpost liason with suspected involvement of my dwarves. Engraving 2 showing the strangely named dwarf cringing. This relates to him being crushed with a drawbridge. AHHH, oops

Little bit of digging in to the caverns followed shortly afterwards by -FOUR- forgotten beasts in my fortress at the same time. I really didn't expect to survive that. My brave military boosted by a hurriedly assmbled extra emergency squad killed them all but with heavy losses and a few more dying later on from their injuries. The previously bored medical dwarves just couldn't handle that many cases at once.

There may be a facepalm later, since I have made a channel from the brook on the surface, down to the lava sea and watching what happens :)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: May 16, 2011, 09:51:15 am »

You smashed the liaison? OUCH. :D

Spoiler: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ...Facepalm. (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:23:57 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: May 16, 2011, 12:59:26 pm »

That's not so bad, you just CAUGHT A FREAKING GIANTESS!

Gobbo arena matches anyone?
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: May 16, 2011, 12:59:56 pm »

I just found out you can designate more than one wall to be constructed at once. I'd been designating one by one since... since I started playing DF.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: May 16, 2011, 01:00:52 pm »

That's not so bad, you just CAUGHT A FREAKING GIANTESS!

Gobbo arena matches anyone?
My game crashed, though, so I'm not sure I still have her. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »

Shame, man. I feel the pain.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: May 16, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »

Ambush - next door to my barracks *gave myself quite a snicker*, some of the kobolds began to run, my military chased, right into a cave croc rideing demon invasion. i was able to get everyone inside and let my traps soften them up.

my entranceway is a 15 zlevel straight drop with 2 rows of wooden traps (havent replaced yet) just to knock people off the ledge

1 enemy gets into my fort, its ok my militart is stationed infront of my civvies, didnt matter tho they "scattered and ran past the demon, UP the stairs and out into the open, and of course my military followed, 8 out of 10 died to "dodgeing" into my freaking pit, the resulting tantrum spiral just ruined so many hours ... ><

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: May 16, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »

I just figured out the hard way that water does not flow like magma. I dug out an area under my workshop area and filled it with magma. Then I channeled out squares in the work shop to access the magma for my smelters and such. It didn't flow up and it worked beautifully.

So I figured I would do the same with a well. My above ground area was infested with badgers and carp, so I needed a safe well. I tried making it the same way as I did the magma shops and I created a geyser in my fortress, there wasn't time to wall it off. After lots of drownings, I abandoned.

moleeth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:51 am »

Still quite a beginner at DF, but i had my best fort going, 75 dwarfs and rising a thriving craft industry and the beggining of a metal industry.

I just had to remove a piece of floor i had built over lava where i planned to put a magma smelter, stupidly i designated the whole floor to be removed and about 20 dwarfs set to work.... removing the supporting floors first and burning them all in lava.

The tantrum spiral was brutal as it was mixed with a goblin invasion :(

No survivors.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: May 17, 2011, 09:30:55 am »

My main siege defence consists of a spiral passage, filled with large serrated steel disks and with a spiked scorpion pit at the bottom. I've never really needed it until this siege, which was much bigger than any previous. At first it was doing a cracking job eviscerating goblins. Those that dodged ended up impaled on spikes, those that retreated were being picked off by my legendary marksdwarf.

Until, the commander of my Queen's Guard, a legendary macedwarf, took it into his head to try and take on the whole siege by himself. He killed the first one, dodged the second attack... and landed head-first in the spike pit.

Facepalm.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

senamic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:42 am »

I felt that my 6 strong militia of novices and dabblers could take on a mere three Capybara...

The Capybara shakes the Axedwarf around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!
An artery in the head has been opened by the attack!
The Capybara bites the Axedwarf in the head, bruising the muscle through th (alpaca wool hood)!
The Capybara latches on firmly!
Tulon Tekkudbomrek, Axedwarf has bled to death.

Oh dear, some explaining to do on how he managed to fail in that mission... In the meantime... PARTY ah I mean wake.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: May 17, 2011, 11:36:03 am »

I had a giantess in a cage. Lost due to crash. :( Same with an Artifact Green Glass Weapon Rack. Also, I just noticed I had a high master mason, must've been a migrant. AND HE WAS SOILING HIS MAGIC HANDS WITH HAULING. D:
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 729