Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125204 times)

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6645 on: July 14, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

I'm facepalming severly right now, the dwarven caravans have just arrived, hopefully with some much needed flux, and my broker is trapped in the bottom of the world in a stupid cycle where he tries to grab some food he dropped but ends up getting freaked out by a dead cat and running away. I really hope he doesn't die from this.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: July 14, 2012, 03:03:33 pm »

A Woodburner migrant got a fey mood.   Good news: He had some training in weapon smithing and claimed a forge.  Bad news: He wants bismuth bars and didn't save any from the last caravan.  Good news: I ordered some more and the caravan should be here soon.   Bad news: I ordered ore, not bars.  Face palm: he went insane after I bought the ore and before I could smelt it.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:33 pm »

A Woodburner migrant got a fey mood.   Good news: He had some training in weapon smithing and claimed a forge.  Bad news: He wants bismuth bars and didn't save any from the last caravan.  Good news: I ordered some more and the caravan should be here soon.   Bad news: I ordered ore, not bars.  Face palm: he went insane after I bought the ore and before I could smelt it.

How do they request a specific metal? I've never had that happen to me.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6648 on: July 14, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »

I'm facepalming severely right now, the dwarven caravans have just arrived, hopefully with some much needed flux, and my broker is trapped in the bottom of the world in a stupid cycle where he tries to grab some food he dropped but ends up getting freaked out by a dead cat and running away. I really hope he doesn't die from this.
Two things:

1) The broker doesn't HAVE to trade, you can have anyone trade.
2) Forbid the piece of food, that will stop him from going for it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

sisok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: July 14, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »

Thanks yeah I realized 1), in earlier fortress I stayed away from this because I wouldn't get prices listed alongside wares, though I guess that's not as much of an issue with such a well established fortress. As for 2) I've been doing so for a good while, but the pile of food seems to grow. I don't know if it's just because there are pots there, so dwarves may be pulling more meals out or something, but I'll forbid items only for more to show up later. It seems as if the dwarves are picking up food from the pile two levels below and walking it up to there. Why they choose that specific place to drop their cat tallow biscuits is beyond me.

huskerman84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:22 pm »

I was a fairly new player and was trading with the second year's dwarven caravan and figured out that when i picked offer in the trade menu that i just gave it to them instead of offering them a deal I had been doing this with all my traders and had wasted loads of trading goods i now make sure to click trade.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: July 14, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »

How do they request a specific metal? I've never had that happen to me.

The dwarf needs to have a preference for that type of metal.  And I think you need to have had a bar of it in your fort.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: July 15, 2012, 02:31:56 am »

1) embarking without setting up my dwarfs at all XD, 2) another time my completely exterior castle fortress was wiped out by goblin lashers riding giant bats that got in my defenses thorough one single hole/wall that kept getting suspended . . . it was made with around 20k stone at least, 3) ah and i almost forgot i embarked in a area that had unholy fog that a barn owl got in to, it then proceeded to attack my dwarfs at which time i made them all military and told them to attack it, so they did and they never stoped, no matter what i did they kept attacking it and eventuly they were all legendary + 5 wrestlers and fighters, then they starved to death . . .
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:59:41 am by Silver Dragon »

LordRandomness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: July 15, 2012, 05:53:49 am »

Realizing after as many months playing this game that pressing TAB on the stocks screen brings up a list of all the individual items. GAH!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: July 15, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

Realizing after as many months playing this game that pressing TAB on the stocks screen brings up a list of all the individual items. GAH!

Wow.

Pity the embarrassment, but congratulations on discovering a very useful part of the game.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: July 15, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »

Wow.

Pity the embarrassment, but congratulations on discovering a very useful part of the game.

Realizing after many months that ther IS a stocks menu.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: July 15, 2012, 03:27:18 pm »

Wow.

Realizing after many months that ther IS a stocks menu.

Realizing after many months that you can make stonecrafts.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: July 15, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »

Embarking to a bandit camp with full decked out military fortress prepared to wipe them out only to find out the camp is friendly to my chosen civ.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: July 15, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »

Who let that magma crab into the fort? Hmmm... must have managed to move sideways and up.

Why is it a bad idea to have a dwarf engage a magma crab in close combat?

On the plus side, from the amount of job cancellation spam I got, I learned that dwarfs can't even path *adjacent* to the smoke produced by an !!axelord!!

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: July 15, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »

Going back to Dwarf Fortress after a long time, decided to go mainly aboveground. I'm right between a river and a brook: a year of digging and channeling, and my moat-around-most-of-the-map is nearly completed. Let's see the gobbos cross thi--

Winter has arrived.

...shit. Is that ice?
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 729