Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125207 times)

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6705 on: July 19, 2012, 05:45:26 pm »

do i want to know what [REDACTED] is? it sound kinda hanky. i mean the last time i was to the bottom of any map was in 40d and to date i haven't found a single bit of adamantine... surprisingly enough i still get kicks out of trying to keep my dwarves from getting themselves killed en mass...

we should collectively author an SCP for dwarf fortress, or at least one for the dwarves within...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: July 19, 2012, 06:08:47 pm »

do i want to know what [REDACTED] is? it sound kinda hanky. i mean the last time i was to the bottom of any map was in 40d and to date i haven't found a single bit of adamantine... surprisingly enough i still get kicks out of trying to keep my dwarves from getting themselves killed en mass...

we should collectively author an SCP for dwarf fortress, or at least one for the dwarves within...
can't find it? DIG DEEPER. MUAHAHAHHA!

Seriously, keep going till you hit magma or semi-molten rock, then pierce the magma sea (from the top!!!). With any luck, you sould be able to see, then ask for help getting it if its not exposed. If magma sea DOESN'T reveal dig arounds to un exposed parts of the sea. There is always the adamantine somewhere, and its always reachable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:12 pm »

Actually, if you use a 2x2 embark, place your ambark point in a certain way, and are very unlucky, you can get an embark without any bluemetal.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: July 19, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »

and then I'll mod it in somehow

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »

i never really felt a need to get to that point but now i kind of do... i've heard... stories about what's down there, it seems rather fun in both cases.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: July 19, 2012, 09:21:58 pm »

i never really felt a need to get to that point but now i kind of do... i've heard... stories about what's down there, it seems rather fun in both cases.
Trust me, candy is a wonderful substance, absolutely wonderful, completely worth the trouble. You haven't lived till you've sent a fully candy-clad axelord with a arttifact candy axe into battle. As for the uh, other stuff, Post results please  :P.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Always wondered about tantrums in my first forts. Then realized "XX" was not just another quality marker...

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: July 20, 2012, 07:04:29 pm »

Always wondered about tantrums in my first forts. Then realized "XX" was not just another quality marker...

*glances at poster name*   Is this an old story, perchance?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: July 21, 2012, 09:44:30 am »

*glances at poster name*   Is this an old story, perchance?

No, I just have been very upset about wearing tattered clothing lately.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: July 21, 2012, 01:06:11 pm »

Quick now is your chance TROLL HIM!!!
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: July 21, 2012, 09:50:31 pm »

A stealthed necromancer made it past my trapped entrance and several crowded areas without being seen, and proceeded to trow wave after wave of reanimated hair and limbs at my dwarves.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6716 on: July 21, 2012, 11:23:40 pm »

I had a lizard monster diplomat that spread some sort of disease or poison (fever/numbness --> paralysis/death) trapped in a small corridor. Diplomat or not it killed 20% of my fort without bloodying a claw. I think i posted about it a page or two back.

I'd made a pit zone above it and occasionally tossed it disarmed goblin prisoners to dispose of. Well I hadn't for a while so i qued up a bunch of them and turned my attention to something else. Without thinking about it I'd also tossed a pair of trolls into it's little corridor. And they broke down the doors.

facepalm one

Then it proceeded to wander around my fortress for a while. I assembled the military and when things started spontaneously suffocating again I gave the attack command.

My soldiers attack, but the massive pack of wardogs i've been breeding for years don't join in. They just frolic around watching the mayhem. The tame grey languars, which normally love helping the dogs tear things to pieces don't help either.

facepalm 2

The fight raged all around the fort, my soldiers getting exausted, and very slowly disabled or killed. Because it doesn't seem to actually want to fight much, but the occasional counterstrike or attack would take an arm off a dwarf. The fighting lasted for weeks and weeks. Long enough that the wounds I put on it started scarring up DURING THE FIGHT. It was too big for most attacks to go deeper than fat. (including crossbow bolts)

facepalm 3

Slowly it's injuries pile up, including but not limited to broken limbs, cracked skull and spine broken in two paces. But it's still outpacing, dodging, and occasionally kiling my dwarves... HOW?

facepalm 4

I eventually conscripted some peasants and gave them iron spears hoping one would get lucky and pierce something vital in the body. One actually hit it in the head but it only tore a tendon.

facepalm 5

So...I gave up and called back the troops. It didn't seem to care one way or the other and went back to wandering the halls bringing suffocating death to everyone.

facepalm 6

Then got down to business and its now having a nice chat with my baroness in her blood splattered office while the fort tantrums around them and the dying litter the halls.

facepalm 7

Also, the dogs have finally decided to do something and are busy ripping the throats out of beserk dwaves...thats....good???

facepalm 8

My foe as she stands.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:27:20 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: July 22, 2012, 12:04:16 am »

Holy shit man. That's gnarly.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: July 22, 2012, 09:52:05 am »

My current embark has a minor river with some carp and stingrays around. I thought of the crazy idea of capturing some and then farming them.

Luckily, a female carp was caught in one of the submerged cage traps quite early. The dwarves hauled her to the animal stockpile. But I was really disappointed and surprised that she won't show on the z-animal menu! I could pasture or pit her, but not tame her. Then, after a look in the wiki, I was really disappointed to see "cannot be tamed" in the carp's article. *FACEPALM!* :o (because I thought of reporting it in the gameplay forum)
As for the stingrays, I won't be able to farm them, because there are only two remaining in the map, both male.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: July 22, 2012, 09:13:30 pm »

lol, genned a world and saw a great spot to stretch a bridge connecting an island to the mainland.  Made the embark sight 4 wide and 6 or 7 tall, embarked, and found my dwarves, wagon, supplies and animals parked smack dab in the middle of the frozen ocean channel.

On the first day of Spring. *facepalm*

There were no survivors.

:P Third time was the charm, though.  Survivors!
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com
Pages: 1 ... 446 447 [448] 449 450 ... 729