Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125207 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6900 on: August 19, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »

Had a 100+ Fortress filled with friendly dwarves.
Had my first goblin siege, cool stuff, was hopping to get some experience for my mili dorfs.
Had a hallway full of stone fall traps, and decided to put the dorfs on stand on the other side of the hallway (So, the goblins would trigger the traps and be easy prey to my fully copper armoured dorfs.
Between those, was a married dorf, with a wife and kids.
So, the goblins came. I saw the first few backing off and bone and blood all over the walls. Good stoffs.
Then, a goblin pikeman charges, passes all the traps and triggers most of them, get's hit by all sorts of stone, runs up to my married dorf and sticks the Pike up my dwarf's brain.

So, the sh** and my brain fused together, and bodyslammed the fan.

His wife tantrums, and thou begins the infamous tantrum spiral.
Fortress crumbled One hour Later.
That, that right there, is pure malice and spite on the goblins part. I have never seen a more determined goblin in my life, or one I respect so highly. Give that goblin a slab, he deserves it for his troubles. And maybe a tomb.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

donfuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: August 20, 2012, 04:11:33 am »

Quite a little time ago in one of my recent forts, a monster diplomat shows up. I think he was some sort of Giant Lizardman if i remember, with *deadly dust*. I see him and think "that'll be nothing but trouble". Well, he run's through my fort, through the dining room, the kitchen, until finally meeting my baroness in her office and nothing happens. He says farewell and leaves and i think "lucky me!".

Unfortunately, on his way out he meets a kobold thief and immediatly starts pumping out his deadly dust in a 20 tile radius, killing all my nearby lifestock and several dwarfs.

Task Manager - kill Dwarf Fortress - reload. sigh. Is that cheating? Didn't want to give that fort up then, and reclaiming is sort of messy if you had massive piles of everything lying around.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: August 20, 2012, 04:12:18 am »

I was using garbage dump designations to separate useable clothes and trade goods after a goblin invasion, into piles of silk/wool, plant fiber/wood, and metal. During the process, one of my water source zones somehow was activated as a garbage dump.

My well is now full of large clothes and polluted with troll blood. :T

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:58 am »

An ambush of 10 goblin crossbowmen and one goblin spearman toppled my 120 dwarf strong fortress. The asswipes managed, through a glitch or some feature I'm unaware of, to shoot my dwarves through a raised bridge. Needless to say, I was rather annoyed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: August 20, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »

Is that cheating?
Since you're asking, you probably think the answer is 'yes'. But do you care?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: August 20, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »

So, I was happily moving along in my sucession fort, when a elven caravan walks right into a ambush for me. I assemble the military outside the entrance to the fort, while elves are being chased around the countryside. I am just waiting there, when I notice a hunting stonecrafter was found by a elf-chasing goblin. The golbin walks up to her and stabs her. She shoots him in the leg, appearantly managing to single-handedly scare off the ambush. She disables the one in front of her, and I send my mlitary after the retreating goblins.

The military, mostly full of crossbow conscripts, is slaughtered. Fortunately, the trained dwarves show up and defeat the goblins. One and two thirds of a sqaud remain, out of three full ones before. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory indeed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:36:31 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

donfuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:02 pm »

Is that cheating?
Since you're asking, you probably think the answer is 'yes'. But do you care?

Nope. :)

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:40 pm »

Charcoal doesn't come from furnace operating.  It comes from wood-burning.

AORHGLIJAOLIHJLVKMVOIWHELKMOIUNOBIHJOIJWEOLKMALKMVIOUNALIJOWEI.

*pant* *pant*

I wasted the better part of a dwarven year trying to figure out why the hell no one would kick start my metal production.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:02 pm »

*pant* *pant*

I wasted the better part of a dwarven year trying to figure out why the hell no one would kick start my metal production.

I lol'd at your misfortune. :( Sorry about that. Also, I did the same thing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:34 am »

*pant* *pant*

This seems to be a common moment. :(
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: August 21, 2012, 01:58:35 am »

I could set you guys up with my oil plants. Plants>Seeds>Paste>Oil>Coke/Fuel

No more having to worry about scavenging for trees!

^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:54 am »

*pant* *pant*

This seems to be a common moment. :(
Glad I'm not alone...
What's the point of having a separate wood-burning skill? It's the same thing as furnace operating, and it's not like wood-burning helps you make campfires in adventure mode.

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:29 am »

Maybe it SHOULD help you build fires in Adventure Mode. Also, yeah, I have no idea. But making charcoal is a delicate process, because you have to carefully control the flow of air in, whereas with furnace operating you have to operate bellows and melt stuff in a very hot fire.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »

Set up a danger room for the first time, watched my military go in with all their war dogs, I didn't realize my mistake... And then.. "Dog McWardog, War Dog has been impaled on spikes." Oh dear... I stopped the room and let my military come out, slowly followed by a few surviving, limping, dogs...
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

Neekerbreeker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: August 21, 2012, 03:44:09 pm »

Me, about five minutes ago:  "Why is this guy so bothered by 'terrible vermin' lately?  He only hates guinea pigs, and we don't have any guinea pigs."

. . . as I scrolled through the Units screen, with Cavy Boar and Cavy Sow  Cavy Pup listed hundreds of times.  Turns out I was thinking Peccary rather than Cavy.
Are you running a modded game? Guinea pigs aren't on the wiki.

Also, is there a [VERMIN_HATEABLE] tag in the cavy raws? Adding it to a creature that isn't vermin doesn't throw an error, but that doesn't mean that it's doing something.

No, no mods.  Guinea pigs aren't on the wiki . . . exactly.  But they do redirect you to Cavy, where it says,
Cavies, more commonly known as guinea pigs, . . .

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 729