Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125235 times)

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2009, 05:24:13 am »

Mass dumping, mouse control of certain things such as designation, and this:

Just had a new one recently.

Did not realize you could easily drain water off the map by carving fortifications into an edge tile.

Was reading the thread from the start, and this was my first (and only) facepalm from the thread.

Here's my contribution.

I accidentally flooded a room that I had not intended to flood (at the time) and managed to seal it off with windows before it got to the whole fortress, because the underground river was on the same z-level as my highest fort level (something like +16 in a mountain range with cliffs 20+ z-levels tall).

In any case, I built a huge above-ground water reservoir, glass walls and glass floor - literally taking up a good 80x80 space and about fifteen z-levels tall - and then released the water from the room through a tunnel I had dug especially for the purpose. The water flowed happily along its way, got to the edge of the mountain, and then promptly froze. In the middle of summer. *facepalm*

This was on my most recent fort, less than 20 years old, that had 375+ dorfs (raised the cap in the init to 1M with 10k baby limit), 119 babies/children, and over 100 dorfs legendary in all non-noble social skills. That fucked with the economy something fierce, let me tell you.

However, I never had a tantrum - the dwarves were either ecstatic, beating their kids' faces in due to berserk, or jumping off my drawbridge into the magma pipe.

Oh, this fort also experienced a decent catsplosion, and is using the currently Mayday download which seems to be pre-d14... and runs at 9-20 FPS on my machine.

Did I mention that the ten beds in this fortress are in the barracks?

I have saves to back this up if there are any doubters.

Some good ol' Dwarven fun there.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 17, 2009, 06:09:09 am »

Man, what's your FPS on that map?

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 17, 2009, 06:19:14 am »

Man, what's your FPS on that map?
9-20, as was stated in the post? ;)

EDIT: Depends on whether I'm trading or not - the dwarves knock each other prone and crawl all over each other like a massive, writhing zombie horde attempting to get to my looms when the traders come by (I like exchanging silk for wagons and wagons full of wood on my treeless map - hate cultivating towercaps something fierce). If I'm trading, somewhere in the high single-digits. All other times, somewhere around 20.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:20:52 am by Winterbrass »
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2009, 06:22:09 am »

I guess I didn't see that when you said it earlier.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2009, 06:27:19 am »

I guess I didn't see that when you said it earlier.

Yeah, the condensed 'holy carp' factor of that fortress is kinda mind-blowing. It's far less impressive when seen on-screen, though.
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:57 am »

Just ran into Adamantine while digging my magma pipes.

GODDAMNIT. Now i have to carve out a throne room.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:38 am »

Just ran into Adamantine while digging my magma pipes.

GODDAMNIT. Now i have to carve out a throne room.
Yeah, adamantine King kinda sucks if you want the entourage.
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2009, 08:09:35 am »

He just sucks period, he invariably arrives before you're ready for him and is generally annoying.

Queen showed up, she's Ultra-Mighty, Extremely Agile and Tough, she's also skilled in all social skills, a Great Tracker, a skilled Macedwarf, Competant Shield, Armor and Wrestler, and, for some strange reason, a novice fisherdwarf, fish dissector and fish cleaner.

So reasomably awesome, i guess it's not too bad, i got the mason to turn the adamantine i found into statues and furniture to make royal rooms, so eh.

--EDIT--

Oh hey, there's a named magma fiend right in front of her. This could be interesting.

She totally ripped it's head off, i like her now.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:59:04 am by Neruz »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:58 am »

Well um, to be on topic.

In my attempt to make the thousands of cave spider webs burn off, I tried to make the silk catch fire, however, what I had NOT realized was that everything MADE of the silk would catch fire. Luckily I had it on pause and when I was looking around, I saw more than the webs bieng on fire, including the dwarves. Realizing that was a major facepalm right there. I quickly saved and quit, hoping that nobody was badly injured, changed it to boil at room temperature (same as what I made it burst into flames at, 10,000 dwarf scale temp), and then reloaded, I saw that the dwarves had magically stopped bieng on fire instantly. I don't know whether it was the fact that I made it burst into flames at a lower temperature or because it was so brief that it was more like bursting into light rather than flame, but there was not a single injury. At least none that forced anybody to rest.

I had also accidentially triggered a wildfire, one part of which was centered on a goblin or goblin corpse (corpse I think as it was smack in the middle of a ring of fire). The wildfire only killed a couple of replaceable ambush detector animals I had near the entrance and nobody got caught on fire. Part of the reason was that there was actually a rocky perimeter around the mountain which I was in, which created safe paths, not to mention that the dwarves actually seemed to be trying to avoid the fire, sometimes.

As an aside, on the same fortress, I made some rocks boil away when trying to fix FPS lag, but I had set it to boil at 1000 degrees (dwarf scale). Despite me making the dwarves move to a safer area, a few dwarves froze to death and one had severe frostbite on his whole upper body, as if the stuff had exploded upwards. I had apparently made it act like liquid nitrogen or something.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:55 am »

I think the reason for the 'boiling freeze' is because boiling objects are set to the temperature that they boil at; boiling objects can't get any hotter than the temperature at which they boil, so they cauze stuff to freeze if their boiling temperature is too low.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:33 am »

Once there was a mighty fort of 140 kobolds, that had stood against sieges and raids of humans, forces of Armok, orcs and pretty much everything alive.

What brought it down was not an attacking army, but fire. Always with the fire.

It all started when a bunch of Sorcerers sprung from ambush. While they were quickly dealt with(with the cost of a Champion who got a fireball to the face and died instantly), there was an obvious problem, threat even, when one of the fireballs the sorceror's had thrown caused a fire. In a major plain. It was sort of a problem. I order everyone inside, and all is well.

That is, all is well until I see an announcement about a miner bleeding to death. I check what's up, and already knew there was trouble abound when I saw smoke rise from the stairway leading to my underground food storage.

It seems that during the brief time between ordering everyone inside, the guy had tried to grab something which was already on fire, left it there, but ran back in the fort, on fire of course, and decided to have a snack. My food was burning everywhere by the time I noticed.

Now, I had two option's. First, do some major ordering and have the food moved somewhere safe, or wait it out. I decided to wait it out, I mean, I had a Dungeon Master who's only job had been smelting metals and making nickel bin's. The wooden barrels and the food in them might burn, but the food in the metal barrels would be safe, right?

A few months later, I had over 12 dead kobolds who had been moving burning food from barrel A to barrel B(I think. Too much smoke to see what they were storing when they kept on running there), and a magnificent tantrum spiral began. The duke went insane, our legendary sheriff decided to strip naked and jumped down the suicide pit(which soon saw a lot of use) and generally, everyone was unhappy. And the food stockpile was COMPLETELY empty.

I don't know what happened, unless heat can ruin foodstuffs inside metal barrels. That or they kept on moving the food from the metal barrels inside wooden ones, or something as stupid. Or maybe all those metal barrels were full of something else than food(I doubt it, although I didn't check it out too much).

Then a Chosen Warrior siege came. I decided "eh, time to end playing this fort then" and allowed them entry. Twenty or so kobolds died from their attack, but their beak dog riding troops were soon beaten back(but not without casualties) when the military swooped in.

At that point, I had about 65 kobolds left. 90% of them resting, and two military people still able to fight. The rest of my force was either in bed about a broken toe or something as stupid, or insane, or dead from suicide.

And there was a squad of Chosen Warrior's still left.

So I did the only thing possible. I sent the two Champions in a suicide run, back to back, against about fifteen Chosen Warrior's and equal number of beak dogs.

Somehow though they managed to kill enough of them to break the siege, and get through the ordeal unscathed. I immediately abandoned the site, so at least history would have a bunch of very unhappy, very injured kobolds to tell the story of Llorgus.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/266/mahkubomons.png
Link related, it's the fort during the good days.

The facepalm of this story is that if there is a fire, be sure to check that none of your guys is carrying it inside the fort. Only tragedy can follow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:19:06 am by Ieb »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 17, 2009, 10:40:05 am »

I think the reason for the 'boiling freeze' is because boiling objects are set to the temperature that they boil at; boiling objects can't get any hotter than the temperature at which they boil, so they cauze stuff to freeze if their boiling temperature is too low.

Well, liquid nitrogen 'boils' at room temperature. Not so much boil than go straight from liquid to gas. Doing what I did is probably like dropping a chunk of frozen nitrogen or some other gas in a frozen state, into a room temperature environment, some of the stuff coming off of it would still be extremely cold. So, it makes sense to me. It was more of a 'wow cool' surprise than a 'I didn't know that surprise'. Actually I didn't know that could happen as I hadn't messed with boiling points where the dwarves might get hurt very much. There are going to be more on solid, liquid and gas states in the new revamp, so maybe someone could make the equivalent of liquid nitrogen. Even though the technology isn't there.

As for that fortress, I decided to abandon it when I kept having FPS problems and do a new worldgen and a new fort. Having a huge spacious storage room and making my mining tunnels simply sprout out from the walls was probably a bad idea FPS wise. I'm planning on making the storage warehouse area compartmentalized using constructed walls.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:55:40 am by smjjames »

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2009, 01:29:56 pm »

Remembered another incident.
I decided I needed an underwater fort, so I embarked next to an ocean.
Sometime along this endeavor I had a great idea. to see how building in the ocean works I decided to test it by tapping into the bottom ocean level. just to see what would happen.

As it turns out the pressure in the ocean is so high it instantly floods wherever you tap into from.
Luckily the test area was sealed off by a door. Pity the miner was also a legendary armor+weaponsmith.
*facepalm*
Beforehand I modded sharks + whales to be building destroyers. A shark appeared on the map. It immediately made a beeline for the door. You know, the one stopping the rest of the fort from flooding.
"Urist McDwarf has drowned x42"
*Facepalm*
a single dwarf and his pet kitten survived. Unfortunately all the farms + food stores were now underwater. He had to eat the kitten to survive, which promptly sent him melancholy, so he went for a swim. In shark infested waters.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 31, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »

It seemed like a good Idea to drop water over a Pipe to make it into Obsidian when its open to flat ground, this way making sure the water can cover all exposed magma....

It a bad idea to think that you can start in the middle...
Can't stop the motion fast enough, too many Cave-in reports!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 31, 2009, 08:34:10 pm »

Digging channels for a surface magma industry in a marsh, forgot that I'd been building bedrooms and workshops around the pipe a level down... Needless to say the magma got to my up/down staircase and destroyed the enitre fort including almost all of my stocks. Right after this happened a fireman jumped out of the magma pipe and fought one of my miners to the death. The miner killed it but still set a world burning fire. One dwarf survived because he was chopping trees on the other side of a brook. Surprisingly he was ok with everyone dieing horribly and I actually had a great time playing a solo hermit game with him. Was tough going but I set up a well, gathered seeds and cooked them into biscuts for food, and built an aboveground house out of wood (on the other side of the brook of course).

Recently, I decided to build a greenhouse in a haunted mountainside jungle area I just started on because I had a ton of outdoor plant seeds. Channeled around then realized that it was too close to the edge of the map for complete walls. Whatever though, I had 2 thick 2 deep channels surrounding it, what could go wrong?

"Plant seeds canceled: interrupted by skeletal giant eagle"
"Urist McFarmerdwarf has been struck down"

/facepalm
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 729