Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2125171 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #795 on: January 02, 2010, 06:38:27 pm »

I didn't even have a fishery when I realized it, so perhaps it is done automatically.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 02, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »

You sure? I thought it was done automatically as long as you had a fishery and your fisher had fish-cleaning on. That said, I don't really fish myself either, but for different reasons: it isn't sustainable, as far as I know.
It is not. You need to queue up clean-fish (generally one just pops one in on repeat, does again if they notice more unprepared fish)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »

I see. I was gonna say that sucks, because it's inconsistent with how butchering, tanning, etc. works, but then again that's not much of a problem either.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 03, 2010, 07:36:31 am »

I see. I was gonna say that sucks, because it's inconsistent with how butchering, tanning, etc. works, but then again that's not much of a problem either.
Exactly, which is why Toady's fixed it.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:41 am »

Don't I remember reading that the same change is going to apply to rendering fat into tallow? Right now, corpses are auto-butchered and hides are auto-tanned, and in the next release, fish and fat are supposed to be similarly auto-processed into their usable forms. I think.

Take care when using the (default on) auto-loom thread feature, though. I had a clother go moody and demand silk thread one time, all of which had been auto-loomed into cloth already. He didn't make it to the autumn caravan. Five dwarves died because I stupidly forgot to lock the door to his workshop, and they rushed in to re-stockpile the mats he'd collected prior to going berserk.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 03, 2010, 09:38:12 am »

Don't I remember reading that the same change is going to apply to rendering fat into tallow? Right now, corpses are auto-butchered and hides are auto-tanned, and in the next release, fish and fat are supposed to be similarly auto-processed into their usable forms. I think.
You think correctly.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 03, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »

Take care when using the (default on) auto-loom thread feature, though. I had a clother go moody and demand silk thread one time, all of which had been auto-loomed into cloth already.

I don't think that was your problem. You must have been lacking the type of silk he needed (they can be very particular about needing either cave spider or giant cave spider silk), and this wasn't because you had made everything into cloth, because thread isn't ever used for any end-products.
« Reply #802 on: January 03, 2010, 02:21:42 pm »

I built a fortress that went entirely underground except for the massive tower from which my archers would rain crossbow based death down on anybody stupid enough to ignore the "Leave us alone" hints. I started to divert my river to become a moat by digging channels. I got to one section and my moat quit filling. I ignored it for a while and kept digging. I later went to check on my archers in training. Turns out my moat wouldn't fill because I dug it through my archery range that was now half full of water.

The good new? My dwarves kept training despite the thousands of gallons of water pouring into the range. And I got a wall up and my dwarves out before it flooded the rest of my fortress

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 03, 2010, 03:19:50 pm »

I don't think that was your problem. You must have been lacking the type of silk he needed (they can be very particular about needing either cave spider or giant cave spider silk), and this wasn't because you had made everything into cloth, because thread isn't ever used for any end-products.

Oh, really? He was doing the mumbly thing and asking for thread, but I guess that meant cloth. Whichever kind I didn't have. Naturally.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 03, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »

Well, check the wiki on strange moods, it suggests that thread isn't what's used, that it's cloth. Also, the fact that thread itself isn't generally used for anything, it's sort of a raw material for cloth, like raw hides are for tanned leather, serves as a further hint for that being the case. Means you just lacked the specific type of cloth he needed.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 03, 2010, 03:43:04 pm »

I use DF Companion when my dungeon master arriver to kill admin ambusers so he can get in.
I paused and thought about what I had done. So I had abandoned fort.
(Or more like, I left, copied the save and the object file into another folder and removed admins.)

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 03, 2010, 06:49:05 pm »

It would be quite handy if the "Auto-X" features had an "Ignore five pieces" setting. (Other than the things that spoil.)

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 03, 2010, 10:14:53 pm »

Don't forget the Giant Wolf Spider and phantom spider silk.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 03, 2010, 10:29:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure the former isn't in the game at all, and the latter gives the same type of silk as "small" cave spiders. Of course, I'm talking about vanilla here.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 03, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »

Take care when using the (default on) auto-loom thread feature, though. I had a clother go moody and demand silk thread one time, all of which had been auto-loomed into cloth already. He didn't make it to the autumn caravan. Five dwarves died because I stupidly forgot to lock the door to his workshop, and they rushed in to re-stockpile the mats he'd collected prior to going berserk.
Dwarves, according to the wiki, don't demand a specific type of silk. Rather, he probably wanted plant fibre cloth.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 729