Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Girlinhat's DINOSAUR PARK!  (Read 3692 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Girlinhat's DINOSAUR PARK!
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117472.0

Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis.  Or, more vaguely known as "Jurassic Park Tycoon".

The premise is simple - you work with the mad scientists to resurrect long-dead dinosaurs and put them in tiny cages for posh tourists to gawk at.

The Dwarf is more complicated - what can we get away with?

There are, at core, a few basic themes...
1: Dinosaurs may go anywhere, in or out of cages, and can cross water without a problem.
2: Herbivores will "socialize" with other herbivores, which generates Happy Thoughts for guests who view socializing creatures.
3: Carnivores will "hunt" herbivores or sometimes other carnivores, which generates Happy Thoughts for guests who view a hunt.
4: Having same-era and same-era dinos in the same enclosure generates a Happy Thought for guests who view them.
5: Guests take random pathfinding over any given road tile.  They will vaguely follow their needs and make their way towards bathrooms and attractions, but are much more likely to accidentally walk by one and use it.
6: Guests dying will generate extreme unpopularity and cost a lot of money - unless you're in Emergency mode, which makes all death into the guest's fault.

Beyond that, there are four types of guests:
Mainstrea don't care.  They want to gawk.
Fun-Lovers are pansy elfs.  They want to witness Socializing behavior and watch herbivores do plant things.
Thrill-Seekers are goblins.  They only want to witness bloodshed, especially when one dino kills another.
Dino-Nerds are probably Kobolds or something.  They like to see same-era and same-location species together.

Herbivores get an increased score when paired with their "Preferred Friend" - another dino that they get along with.
Carnivores get an increased score when they hunt their "Preferred Prey" - a herbivore that they enjoy hunting.

Herbivores will actively run away from all carnivores, and small carnivores will run from larger carnivores.  This can go on to the point that many herbivores in a small enclosure will actually starve to death as they become so fixated on running that they fail to eat.  Any dino-hunting must be given a LARGE enclosure.  Carnivores may also eat cattle, more cheaply, but provide less thrills.

Guests become distraught when any dino is within view and not behind a fence.  A T-Rex behind a piece of cardboard is fine, but a turtle on the path will make them flip the fuck out.  Guests who feel the park isn't secure will run to a nearby Security Shelter - assuming you've built one - or directly leave, and give the park a very bad score.  Unless you're in Emergency Mode, in which case nothing counts.  Automated turrets may also be deployed to shoot down any dinos that begin to "rampage" or otherwise scare the guests.

Dinos are expensive.  Cheaper small herbivores cost around $1,500 and default entry fee is $200 per guest.  T-Rex costs more towards $7,500.  Food for dinos costs about $50 a month, but carnivores enjoy eating live dinos, which can put their meals into the thousands.  Guests fees will easily cover this cost with a popular park.

NOW!  There's a fairly in-depth shakedown of how this works.

What am I going to do and how many lives will be lost?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat's DINOSAUR PARK!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:48:03 pm »

Watching with anticipation.
This is a blank sig.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:49:07 pm »

What does Emergency mode do except for letting you kill guests?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 02:49:28 pm »

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:53:41 pm »

What does Emergency mode do except for letting you kill guests?
When you enact emergency mode, all the guests move to leave the park or to the nearest shelter.  Guests killed during an emergency incur no cost of death or any loss of reputation.  It also, predictably, closes the park, so you can only resume business when you turn emergency mode off.

I think it also incurs a security penalty, but not enough to matter unless you're spamming it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:59 pm »

generally, emergency mode helps your visitors to survive ( which is good) and reduces penalties for death ( which is double good).
ideally, you would only need that due to extreme weather... but since this is a B12 game I expect it to be used often.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »

I've only ever had to call it during a tornado, but then again I usually put high security fence on my T-Rex enclosure, and I don't see the forum allowing me to squander money like that in a new game.  After all, my T-Rex never escaped, therefore the gate was wasted, right?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »

I don't see how we can possibly have a good dinosaur park if we never get to see a T-Rex rampage across the island.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »

I remember this game. This will be intresting to watch.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »

I am confident your playthrough will contain maximum dwarfiness.

First: the island must contain a volcano if possible
Second: as many dinosaurs as possible, in as small an area as possible
Third: Emergency mode is banned during any natural disasters
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »

I am confident your playthrough will contain maximum dwarfiness.

First: the island must contain a volcano if possible
Second: as many dinosaurs as possible, in as small an area as possible
Third: Emergency mode is banned during any natural disasters
First: Not possible.
Second: Not manageable - herbivores will flee from carnivores until they starve to death.
Third: Not workable - the park will get closed down due to bad performance and having negative funding.

On the other hand, I can just dump 30 T-Rex into a low-security fence box and put some delicious goats on the outside - the same side that the guests are on.  Nature will take its own course...

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »

Watching! Chaos theory! Lawyers on toilets!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »

I like massive packs of spitters, they have a unique kill animation.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:21 am »

I think I'll be going the "spam T-Rex" route as much as I'm able.  Any suggestions on design style or construction schemes?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:28 am »

Some sort of winding safari park/gauntlet route that the food visitors have to take, starting near the entrance with weaksuace dinos, getting more and more dangerous the closer they get to the exit? If anyone gets all the way around they have earned thier freedom.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2