Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844526 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1080 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:39 am »

29) You see a gang of local toughs negotiating firefighting fees with the owner of a burning building.
30) An unhinged clerk is throwing stationery out of the windows of a nearby office, yelling something about being 'done'.
31) A heavily armed thug asks if you would like to see her private zoo for a nominal fee.
32) A speeding chariot crashes violently into a nearby storefront.
33) A beggar is sneaking up on a pigeon with a crudely sharpened stick.
34) Two merchants from opposing storefronts accost you, trying to one-up each other's discounts for your exclusive patronage.
35) An extremely foreign group of adventurers confuse you for local prostitutes.
36) A nearby man is set upon by a host of ravenous sparrows.
37) A nobleman, his lady friend and a well-armed bodyguard are having a picnic on a nearby rooftop, heckling the scruffier passersby.
38) A gaggle of drunken sailors would like to discuss philosophy.
39) You see a wizard's apprentice in the distance, trying to fight off a coordinated assault by crows looking to steal some of her freshly bought magical items.
40) A wizard is demolishing a foreboding old house in a methodical, controlled fashion. He looks bored.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:18:17 am by Harry Baldman »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1081 on: January 13, 2016, 08:27:22 am »

Has anybody here ever tried to roleplay a legit mute character? How did/would you go about it?
I tried grunts, gestures and writing crookedly on paper for all of a half-hour, and then reverted to bullshit like 'through his awesome pantomime skills, Franz communicates this ridiculously complicated idea in minute detail', only using less cheaty methods for flavor.

E: Sir Bearington doesn't count. He's a distinguished gentleman who can speak, as we all know.

A guy I played with a couple of times played a deep dwarf that refused to speak to outsiders. I think he passed notes of anything he wanted to say to the guy playing his brother (symbolising muttering in another language), who would then read them out. If there's someone who knows sign language in the party, you could do that. If there isn't, well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:23 am »

Has anybody here ever tried to roleplay a legit mute character? How did/would you go about it?
I tried grunts, gestures and writing crookedly on paper for all of a half-hour, and then reverted to bullshit like 'through his awesome pantomime skills, Franz communicates this ridiculously complicated idea in minute detail', only using less cheaty methods for flavor.

E: Sir Bearington doesn't count. He's a distinguished gentleman who can speak, as we all know.

One of my players is playing a mute, it's not really an issue since he and another player made their characters know each other before the game started and so they both know sign language. Although it gets sorta funny because the character who can talk is... Sorta intense, almost abusive (she treats the mute as her doll almost sometimes, dressing her up and even tattooing her... Er, although they are magical tattoos so it's not like, that bad) and she doesn't always translate 100% faithfully.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 13, 2016, 09:44:02 am »

Urban encounters:

41) A resident on an upper floor empties a chamber pot over the party.
42) A doomsayer is spreading tales of the apocalypse to a large crowd.
43) A beggar jumps out of a nearby sewer grate screaming about crocodiles.
44) A figure sits on a rooftop, playing sweet music on an ornate flute.
45) You come across an unsigned contract for a lucrative deal, lying discarded in a gutter.
46) A brewer is searching for rare ingredients for a special brew.
47) You come across a lost looking druid.
48) You come across an inn with a freshly painted sign - it has been named after the party or one of its members.
49) You notice a miniature city in the shadows of a mage's house. It is perfectly sized for vermin.
50) A nervous wizard walks by, muttering about dried frog pills and hallucinating that he is sane.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:51 am »

That was fun guys, and really creative.  If I get some more time I'll compile those and add them to the OP.  Added to the OP, with credits to the participants.

One thing to bring up about that though: they were wildreness encounters, not adventure ideas

Adjusted.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »

A guy I played with a couple of times played a deep dwarf that refused to speak to outsiders. I think he passed notes of anything he wanted to say to the guy playing his brother (symbolising muttering in another language), who would then read them out. If there's someone who knows sign language in the party, you could do that. If there isn't, well.
Read this as "refused to speak to angels and demons".  And elementals I think?

I played a mute character briefly.  It didn't work particularly well since there were only three player characters, and my previous character had sorta kinda been the leader.  In that I kept track of the quests, and reminded the others about what we were originally there to do.

I say sorta kinda because my character (blaster cleric) was just as reckless as the wizard, and responsible for almost half the burnt taverns (literally.  We kept a COUNT on our wiki).  So it was often the barbearian (sic) who would reign in our magic experiments, and then my character would recall the actual mission from his copious notes.

So, my mute character...  Was going for something different.  A mute melee dervish with issues, kinda like a River Tam situation.  This did not work well, since the others kinda did rely on me to track the quests.  So the PCs kept stalling in important NPC conversations as we dropped into OOC for reminders.

Oh dang, I almost forgot that she wasn't supposed to be a PC at all, just a cohort for my new bard character who was designed to know *even more about everything* and be a perfect vessel for my OOC knowledge.  But the RNG fucked him *hard*.  First he got sent to the shadow plane within minutes of being introduced thanks to our traditional game of "drink the unidentified potions".  I swear I am not making this up.  He managed to come back from that, just in time to get killed in his sleep by a lich rage mage (first combat encounter he ever saw).  Chain lightning, he wasn't even targeted specifically.

And when we went to reincarnate him, using our special !!FUN!! table, the RNG rolled a tarrasque.  Odds about 1/500 IIRC.  So yeah that  didn't work out...  I later came up with an in-rules way to undo the reincarnation (true resurrection I think?) but the DM didn't think it would work.

So instead of a walking library with support spells, I had to play as a mute feral elf cannibal melee character.  Who later became a drow, then reincarnated as a very specific type of demon, because apparently the Laughing God rolled our dice.

Months later I realized that my first character had freedom of movement and couldn't have ended the way he did (paralyzed by a lich for days, while under a nosleep curse, went insane because he couldn't cast restoration).  It's cool though, he made a decent recurring boss.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 13, 2016, 02:07:15 pm »

Urban Encounter:

51 ) The guards are looking for a serial flasher who happens to resemble one of your party members. They confront you.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1087 on: January 13, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »

Does anybody have any particular suggestions for an archer build (from level one) in Pathfinder? I'm thinking human fighter with point-blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot, but I'm not sure.

The particular campaign also has a meta goal of exploring the combat system to as full an extent as possible, which I guess is partly why I'm posting here instead of going for a basic set up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 13, 2016, 03:43:52 pm »

Addendum to 51b: That result is based on a coin flip if they have not exhibited multiple personalities before.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1089 on: January 13, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

52. A large sinkhole opens up, swallowing up a (Insert Building Here).
53. You spot a door in a wall that you swear wasn't there the night before.
54. A magical flying boat flies into the side of a tall building and explodes.
55. A major road is blocked by someone attempting to herd a bunch of cats.
56. A gang of youths turn over a wagon and set it on fire, while loudly denouncing the city guards.
57. A beggar tells you that the Nobility are hiring alchemists to dump mind control agents in the water supply, and that he's immune because he only drinks ale.
58. You see a large blue fire with green smoke. The alchemist's guild has caught fire. Again.
59. A loud concussive blast breaks all the windows in the street. The alchemist's guild has exploded. Again.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 13, 2016, 05:07:10 pm »

60.) You encounter a suspiciously fat beggar
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 13, 2016, 05:18:20 pm »

Does anybody have any particular suggestions for an archer build (from level one) in Pathfinder? I'm thinking human fighter with point-blank shot, precise shot, and rapid shot, but I'm not sure.

The particular campaign also has a meta goal of exploring the combat system to as full an extent as possible, which I guess is partly why I'm posting here instead of going for a basic set up.

Honestly, in Pathfinder, Fighter is the best way to build a straight archer. Deadly Aim would be a good next feat (or whenever possible to take) - it's the ranged equivalent of Power Attack.

If you were to go Sniper, here is a pretty viable build, so long, as noted, you have a fighter who can consistently leave an opponent flat-footed.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 13, 2016, 07:12:52 pm »

I tried the Archer archetype for the fighter once. Going without an archetype is better, I think. Especially with the new Advanced Weapon Training abilities, if your DM allows it.

General progression is to get the almighty Precise Shot ASAP, which requires Point Blank Shot. Once you are able, grab Improved Precise Shot to ignore partial concealment and partial cover. Point Blank Master stops you from provoking attacks of opportunity in melee when you use your bow.

Also of note is Rapid Shot and Manyshot, for more arrows per turn. Cluster Shot so that all your arrows only apply against Damage Reduction once. The Snap Shot line of feats allows you to threaten squares adjacent to you. First only those directly adjacent to your square, then you threaten out to ten feet. Or fifteen, depending on whether your DM uses the nerfed version of not.

There's probably more feats I'm forgetting. Other than Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization, I can't think of any.

Some people also swear by the Zen Archer archetype for the Monk, but you will have to balance your Strength, Dexterity, and Wisdom, so it would depend on your stats.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 13, 2016, 09:14:51 pm »

61)There is a rain of small bits of wood and stone.
The Alchemists' Guild has exploded.  The surrounding area.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 13, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »

61)There is a rain of small bits of wood and stone and a few unidentifiable fluids.
The Alchemists' Guild has exploded. The surrounding area. Again.
FTFW.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 623