Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 847653 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5130 on: May 01, 2018, 06:57:42 am »

Two sessions in, I'm thinking of dropping the game and finding another. We're up to nine PCs in the group. It's going to rise to 11 in two weeks. The other group is also at nine. So two DMs, 20 players.

Anyone here who's watched Stranger Things? Anyone else who got a bit exasperated with the DnD elements portrayed therein?

Nah, they're 12/13. When you just get a game, don't really fully learn the rules, and just go out with the goal of doing cool shit with friends, that's what happens. The DM also has to teach himself to DM in these cases.

There are stories all over the place from the AD&D days like that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:06:36 am by Mephisto »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: May 01, 2018, 10:20:38 am »

Yeah, I figured the Stranger Things AD&D scenes are basically a bunch of teen/preteen boys fudging along with a bunch of houserules. Still, they've got mad sets of minis for a gang of broke kids, though their tactical maps could use a bit more detail.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: May 01, 2018, 11:04:17 am »

Could be they spent all their money on the Demogorgon miniature, and thus don't have any other enemies the players could fight.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: May 01, 2018, 11:40:26 am »

Ok, I modeled up a flat pattern for a blank solid-cardstock mini.
(Base is 1" dia, tile is 1"x.5" Cardstock assumed to be .010" thick.)

A whole bunch of these (Initial test fit of flat pattern shows 18) should fit on 8.5" x 11" cardstock.

I am gonna keep this around, (should I EVER get a meatspace group...) but I can totally provide the flat pattern as an svg.

The idea here is that you can use inkscape or whatever to put pretty much anything you could ever want onto these and use them for monsters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: May 01, 2018, 11:44:00 am »

What makes these better than just printing front and back views of the monster, one inverted over the other, and folding them into a triangular prism? Because that's always what I've done.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: May 01, 2018, 11:47:41 am »

These need less tape, and would have more image area per paper used? (two small tabs of doublestick cellotape, get pretty much the whole 1x.5 rectangle)

I also added provisions for stiffening beads, if you feel inclined. (Use a credit card to push into the folded edge to invert it into a stiffener. That will keep the tile from being floppy.)

--

EDIT:
Meh, misunderstood, Had to think about what you wrote.  These would likely resist getting blown around/accidentally scooted better than a triangular prism shaped one would. They have a larger base area to tile height ratio.

Jimmy mentioned the Pathfinder cardboard minis.

this is meant to be the poor man's version.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:53:32 am by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: May 01, 2018, 11:49:24 am »

What makes these better than just printing front and back views of the monster, one inverted over the other, and folding them into a triangular prism? Because that's always what I've done.

I suppose that works if you don't have much cash and do have a drawing talent and/or you like to draw or make art. Definetly has the flexibility of not having to find appropriate minis.

These need less tape, and would have more image area per paper used? (two small tabs of doublestick cellotape, get pretty much the whole 1x.5 rectangle)

I also added provisions for stiffening beads, if you feel inclined. (Use a credit card to push into the folded edge to invert it into a stiffener. That will keep the tile from being floppy.)

Everybody has their preferred methods I suppose.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: May 01, 2018, 12:12:22 pm »

*shrug*

If anyone is inclined, here's the .svg with 18 per sheet.

Google drive is crappy and all, I know, but .svg is an odd format, so image hosting is no-go. Inkscape can open the .svg just fine. Put whatever artwork on, print, cut, and fold. (Yes, I see that the flat patterns look kinda phallic. It was not intentional. The little ovals are where to press against the folded edge with a credit card to make a stiffener)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:16:31 pm by wierd »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: May 06, 2018, 12:34:24 pm »

So, just ran my first session of DnD 5e. Not the first time I've run a tabletop game or done it live,  but the first time it was with voice and with DnD. It went surprisingly well, although a couple people were like half an hour late because timezones are evil.

Not starting with anything too complex. A group of adventurers are hired to recover a shipment of valuables robbed from a merchant guild. They go to the hideout, which I decided to make an old dwarven outpost - which of course means something based on the layouts common to DF. I think I overestimated enemy difficulty so it was a bit easy on them, but it's better than murdering them out the gate. There was a trade depot outside that they got some silver out of, they barely managed to avoid the cage traps in front, and ran into a danger room adjacent to the barracks. They're resting in the mass-dormitory, waiting for the bandit leader to come back to ambush them.

It's been fun, and the players seemed to be having fun. One of them wasn't able to make it but it'll be fairly easy to slot them in next session.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: May 07, 2018, 12:33:38 am »

Cool, that sounds like an awesome introduction to both D&D and DF.  I'm glad you and your players had fun.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: May 08, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »

So, I am trying out for an actual play podcast for shadowrun, called 'Without a Net'.
https://withoutanetpod.podbean.com/
And the audition game is going to be streamed around 5:30pm PST Wednesday 5/9/18.

I'll be playing the voodo mage, Mr. Purple.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: May 09, 2018, 07:31:04 am »

So, I am trying out for an actual play podcast for shadowrun, called 'Without a Net'.

That's cool. It's something I've sort of wanted to do for a while.

Good luck!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:40 pm »

Like you would a forest, but with longer brush strokes and darker.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04:49 pm »

OK, how do I do a forest, and without colour. My map's going to be in greyscale since I lack a particularly large assortment of coloured pencils and I can't draw for shit online.

There's quite a few ways, this is an okay reference if you want to make a reasonably simple and legible map, which is ultimately what you want in a game. Not sure if there's much more to say beyond "use lots of circly things".
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 623