Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: NetHack  (Read 9070 times)

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
Re: NetHack
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 10:57:52 am »

Oh crap! Now I've gone and hijacked the thread!
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 01:16:14 am »

Crawl is way better than NetHack.

There, I said it. Okay. Let me tell you why;

Let me regale you with a grand tale of avarice and unfair crap!

Okay, so I'm playing S the Monk. He's a chaotic monk. He hits things. Anyway, I lose my pet (I'm not waiting 5 minutes for a damn dog) and go into the Gnomish Mines. I get through the first part fine, and I get to Minetown.

My experience in Minetown? Extremely satisfied. Unlike usual, I do not get this horrible collective bones level thing (I seem to usually get a level that many previous characters have all died on, which is very bad). Anyway, I got a nice, safe, well lit town. I even did some honest shopping. Then I robbed a bookstore (Monk, remember? I need books) and headed down.

By the time I got to the end of the mines, I had the following spells:
  • Sleep - Verdict: Useful
  • Extra Healing - Verdict: Useful
  • Wizard Lock - Verdict: I didn't need it
  • Stone to Flesh - Verdict: Almost useless; I was a vegetarian  :P
  • Light - Verdict: I didn't need this, either. I had a lamp.

So I was doing pretty well. I had an inventory full of gems, and I got the luckstone out of the mines and ran into a problem; I had no more inventory space, and I couldn't leave behind my tin opener. So, I ate all of my food to make room.

All of it.

It worked, too. I didn't to leave any of my stuff behind. And so I went up a few dungeon levels, found a box, put my gems in it, killed some soldiers, and prepared to make a mad dash through Minetown (I robbed the bookstore, remember?), and then to the surface. I wanted to just start with a small victory this time, and just make it out with a lot of gems. Back to the surface.

Then, in the distance, just on the fringe of the light radius of my lamp, I saw a looming gray figure.

A MENACING one.

I took a single step up to put it in the line of fire for a sleep spell, and

"The air elemental engulfs you! You are battered with debris! You are battered with debris! You are battered with debris! You are battered with debris!* HAHA FUCK YOU, PLAYER!!** You die..."

Okay, well, I like how it gave me a turn to react to it's presence before killing me.

I had a crapload of REAL GEMS in that box. More than I've ever had before. Diamonds, rubies, sapphires, a dilithium crystal, etc.

And I lost it all.

TO THAT FUCKING AIR ELEMENTAL

Crawl doesn't do shit like this to me. Also, Crawl has a decent default autopickup, and a rest button that works.
And in Crawl, you can tell what level and gender your character is (hint; no gender).
Crawl doesn't have gayass magic elf goddess names you can write on the floor and save your ass, either. Elbereth is for faggots.

Ugh. Fuck this shit. I'm going back to Crawl. May Trog have mercy on your souls.

And thus ends this ribald tale, and Inaluct's NetHack phase!***

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:18:10 am by inaluct »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 01:27:11 am »

Wow that sucks. But then tell the creators and I'm sure they'll work on it.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 01:46:19 am »

Air elemental in the mines... Some gnome must've hit a polymorph trap.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 04:29:08 am »

Crawl is way better than NetHack.

There, I said it. Okay. Let me tell you why;

Let me regale you with a grand tale of avarice and unfair crap!

Okay, so I'm playing S the Monk. He's a chaotic monk. He hits things. Anyway, I lose my pet (I'm not waiting 5 minutes for a damn dog) and go into the Gnomish Mines. I get through the first part fine, and I get to Minetown.

My experience in Minetown? Extremely satisfied. Unlike usual, I do not get this horrible collective bones level thing (I seem to usually get a level that many previous characters have all died on, which is very bad). Anyway, I got a nice, safe, well lit town. I even did some honest shopping. Then I robbed a bookstore (Monk, remember? I need books) and headed down.

By the time I got to the end of the mines, I had the following spells:
  • Sleep - Verdict: Useful
  • Extra Healing - Verdict: Useful
  • Wizard Lock - Verdict: I didn't need it
  • Stone to Flesh - Verdict: Almost useless; I was a vegetarian  :P
  • Light - Verdict: I didn't need this, either. I had a lamp.

So I was doing pretty well. I had an inventory full of gems, and I got the luckstone out of the mines and ran into a problem; I had no more inventory space, and I couldn't leave behind my tin opener. So, I ate all of my food to make room.

All of it.

It worked, too. I didn't to leave any of my stuff behind. And so I went up a few dungeon levels, found a box, put my gems in it, killed some soldiers, and prepared to make a mad dash through Minetown (I robbed the bookstore, remember?), and then to the surface. I wanted to just start with a small victory this time, and just make it out with a lot of gems. Back to the surface.

Then, in the distance, just on the fringe of the light radius of my lamp, I saw a looming gray figure.

A MENACING one.

I took a single step up to put it in the line of fire for a sleep spell, and

"The air elemental engulfs you! You are battered with debris! You are battered with debris! You are battered with debris! You are battered with debris!* HAHA FUCK YOU, PLAYER!!** You die..."

Okay, well, I like how it gave me a turn to react to it's presence before killing me.

I had a crapload of REAL GEMS in that box. More than I've ever had before. Diamonds, rubies, sapphires, a dilithium crystal, etc.

And I lost it all.

TO THAT FUCKING AIR ELEMENTAL

Crawl doesn't do shit like this to me. Also, Crawl has a decent default autopickup, and a rest button that works.
And in Crawl, you can tell what level and gender your character is (hint; no gender).
Crawl doesn't have gayass magic elf goddess names you can write on the floor and save your ass, either. Elbereth is for faggots.

Ugh. Fuck this shit. I'm going back to Crawl. May Trog have mercy on your souls.

And thus ends this ribald tale, and Inaluct's NetHack phase!***

Boo hoo?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 07:56:22 pm »

No; ARRGH

Anyway, it's sort of added another thing that I dislike to NetHack, which has tipped the scale to the point where Crawl just dominates overpoweringly.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 05:54:15 am »

Well, all right. But, I mean, I've never played Crawl but isn't the potential to die very sudden deaths pretty universal to rogulikes? How is Crawl different there?
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 06:06:31 am »

Yeah, the whole point of roguelikes is that you can die VERY easily. Winning is just as much about luck as skill.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 11:36:18 am »

Crawl and NetHack.
are way better than ADoM and ToME
It's Nethack, be more 1337
You could have ran away.
@s die. A lot. Get used to it.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 12:11:48 pm »

1. Agreed, but that wasn't the point of my post.

2. NetHack is not for 1337/\/355. Halo is. I was playing NetHack, not Halo.

3. No, I couldn't have. Air elementals move too fast. Had you read more than 3 lines of my post, you would have known that.

4. I was playing a , idiot.  >:O
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:42:49 pm by inaluct »

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 12:14:05 pm »

3. No, I couldn't have. Air elementals move too fast. Had you read more than 3 lines of my post, you would have known that.

Is the ad hominem attack really necessary?  Let us maintain our chill composure.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:20 pm »

The >:O was supposed to denote sarcasm. Lemme fix this.

Edit: Fix'd.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 02:33:17 pm »

2. 1337speak is way older than Halo, and Nethack is for the 1337 even if they wouldn't use the word themself.
3. Nethack is part luck and if you didn't have enough luck to have a wand of slow or otherwise, you are to die.
4. Bah. Lol the '>:O' was enough no need to add the underline, mine sarcasm detector is working well enough.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 02:41:12 pm »

2. NetHack is not for the 1337. It has too many ways out of general dangerous situations; like prayer and Elbereth.
3. A wand of slow monster wouldn't have helped. I would have still been killed, because they can only shoot in a straight line. I was killed trying to line it up for a sleep spell. I spent one move trying to line it up. I literally saw it, pressed a button, and died.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »

I've had some pretty rough deaths too.  I once got all the way to Medusa's lair, but didn't have a wand of ice.  I did have a wand of dig though, so I decided to dig down and head for the staircase on her island.  I landed in a vault, with three minotaurs and an elven champion(Something like that, Elven prince maybe?).  I killed the minotaurs, but was unaware of their status as the most damaging non-bosses in Nethack(or at least in the top 2 or 3).  Combine that with a short but perfectly timed bout of forgetfulness, I forgot to check my health, and was killed by the elf.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6