Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under Water Fortress - Help  (Read 982 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Under Water Fortress - Help
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:42:32 pm »

Ok so im craving for a underwater fortress, Ive tried looking for maps with freezing lakes in winter but couldn't find any, so I change to dropping magma in the lake, that didnt work it just made a cap over the lake and I tried so many ways to drop magma im tired of it now. So if anyone has a fool proof magma plan or..
A map with,
-2x2 water 3z deep somewhere
-2x2 heavily forested or woodland
-magma
-sand
-water frezzing in winter

thanks for the help inadvance.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Under Water Fortress - Help
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:51:25 pm »

I've actually just started on this project myself, only mine is going to be under the ocean and made completely out of glass blocks. I was originally going to make it all CLEAR glass, but green glass was free due to my magma pool.

But anyways, how I started mine was I found a nice spot on the beach using prospector to snag some magma with it. Made a huge water tank(Still in production, making it real big for maximum water storage capacity) and a pump to pump the water into it and upwards. This means two things. A clean waer supply, and being that much closer to making the underwater fort. Make sure to have a way to drain the water back into the ocean though, so that you'll be able to actually have the fort underwater. This takes a lot of wood and rocks, as well as a lot of time. But the end result seems worth it.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:09:39 pm »

If I drain the water from the lake or ocean wont it just refill from the borders?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »

One would think so, but it doesn't look like it does. At least, not at a noticeable rate.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:19:53 pm »

Well normally the 3z level deep water I want for the fort is on the edges of the map soo I think I'm going to have a problem with that if it refills even a bit..

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »

It will probably take a few in game years to set it all up, but its doable I'm sure.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:24:14 pm »

Well then I think Im going to go back to my man made cavern with flooded bottom and alantis style underground. Unless anyone can find me a frezzing lake in winter.. ive made 11 maps now and no dice.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 08:30:56 pm »

If I drain the water from the lake or ocean wont it just refill from the borders?

Ocean?  Definately.

Ocean -> aquifer?  A !CPU!, xXFPSXx, and a workable surface.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 08:31:59 pm »

Ocean?  Definately.

I've yet to see any of the water refill, I just see a moving swarm of 6's with the occasional 5.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:37:47 pm »

So from that I gather, punch a whole in the aquifer and it'll dry it out? and the water will drain away so I can build, then plug it up and reflood it? could I use screw pumps to take water from the aquifer or will the borders do it for me?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »

Ocean?  Definately.

I've yet to see any of the water refill, I just see a moving swarm of 6's with the occasional 5.

From personal experience, oceans do indeed refill.

To work on my "seafloor colonization project" I was forced to use tweak and turn the water next to the edge into lava, as otherwise it refilled (effect is difficult to notice, but there).

Reembarking refills the whole way.

Anyway, the thing about aquifers is that they'll accept an infinite supply of water as well as give out an infinite supply.  Anything drained onto the aquifer's level will drain away continuously.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 04:01:48 am »

I've actually just started on this project myself, only mine is going to be under the ocean and made completely out of glass blocks. I was originally going to make it all CLEAR glass, but green glass was free due to my magma pool.

But anyways, how I started mine was I found a nice spot on the beach using prospector to snag some magma with it. Made a huge water tank(Still in production, making it real big for maximum water storage capacity) and a pump to pump the water into it and upwards. This means two things. A clean waer supply, and being that much closer to making the underwater fort. Make sure to have a way to drain the water back into the ocean though, so that you'll be able to actually have the fort underwater. This takes a lot of wood and rocks, as well as a lot of time. But the end result seems worth it.

Me too, but i'm sticking with clear glass. I got a medium sized reservoir of fresh water, and i'm going to start making glass screw pumps to drain out the ocean. Got wind on my map so i don't have to worry much about power and theres only one spiny dogfish in the ocean. Fire man and two imps got killed already too.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.