Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: April Update Hype!!!  (Read 3570 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: April Update Hype!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 01:28:04 pm »

I'm starting to get used to those few elements that still require mouse scrolling, but I also certainly wouldn't complain if keyboard commands were re-implemented for them.

Meanwhile I'm certainly digging the new features. The sound effects and attack animations really make the gameplay come alive for me, and the music soundtrack is dynamite!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:31:39 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2024, 03:08:31 am »

Got this book from adventure Mode walked to my fort and retired there when I unretired the Fort the book was there on the ground!!! gonna be chaos when the goblins start reading it !!!!!!!!!!!! :D
In the year 557 early winter 17th moonstone the goblins master the secrets of life and death and it's slowly spreading through 305 goblins
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2024, 09:35:44 am »

They remove the x menu.Now I can't pet my cat  :'(

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2024, 10:15:07 am »

Here's some bugs or issues I've noticed (Not including ones I've already seen people talk about.)

Smooth branches are lacking sprites, making forest retreats partially invisible.

I would have to assume Underworld Gates in underworld spires also have no sprites.

The pre-generated loadouts for elven civ member adventurers include non-grown wooden equipment, but manually added wooden items are always grown. (Not a new bug)

Elf portraits have invisible hair when wearing cloaks. (Haven't tested non-elves.)

Female elf portraits have their eyes misaligned with the pixel grid

Forest retreats that ere occupied by civilizations with outdoor farming have nameless shrub versions of trees in their farms. (Not a new bug)

Tavern trees in forest retreats occasionally have tree trunks on the same tiles as furniture. (Not a new bug)

Many zoomed-in travel map features have inaccurate sprites or dimensions.

The trees in forests on the travel map cover up rivers and streams making them hard to see.

Coins have inaccurate material colors.

Elven markets can sell imported meat even though they are against killing animals. (Not a new bug)

Skeleton portraits don't seem to work properly

Mummy's Curses appear as blank text ("") and are only used after exiting and re-entering combat with the mummy (Text thing is new, curse not triggering is old)

Overall, I have had a lot of fun with the new adventure mode so far, I think what is there is very heavily improved, but what isn't there can't be better than it was because it isn't there. For me, it's certainly much more convenient to play than it was before.

I might wait until butchery, the quest log, the interaction menu, map memory, and visible travelers on the travel map are re-added before I actually do a real playthrough though, but right now I'm doing some modding.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:28:00 pm by aSpatula66 »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2024, 11:52:53 am »

I'll wait until it is stabilized and when Toady isn't working on it anymore. I think it will take 9-12 months before he resumes (at last !) development (Army arc, etc...).When i'm on it i don't want to say myself "oh this new update is so good, i should have waited !".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2024, 09:53:00 pm »

They remove the x menu.Now I can't pet my cat  :'(

Apparently its not ready yet (says 'coming soon' if you hover over it.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2024, 10:32:13 am »

But why? The feature was already a part of the game. Feels so wrong to have to wait again for something that's been out for a decade.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2024, 12:30:17 pm »

But why? The feature was already a part of the game. Feels so wrong to have to wait again for something that's been out for a decade.

yeah. I have no where to vent this frustration except here, because, I bear no ill will or criticism towards Tarn and folks, and I know only a few people will read or care about this post..

Even the glacial development speed has become normal to me. However, the premium version is simply a different, less interactive simulation than what came before, and a majority of these issues are entirely due to the need for UI overlays for extant mechanics.

DFhack reveals that those underlying mechanics remain in many cases. this feels a bit like taking away our candy - how rude ! and honestly a bit affronting. loyal players for decades now and we are being asked to just wait 'a few more years' for the return of what was already there.

This has been explained in various ways, such as the difficulty of translating certain things into the graphical interface, and the fact DFhack itself 'cheats' and introduces plenty of instabilities that one might want to avoid in a consumable product (worth money!). These things sort of undercut their relatively quick speed of hack implementation, in the sense that reproducing these UI features would likely be waaay more difficult. Fair enough

what I'm getting at, is that the graphical interface is entirely to blame for what we old timers are experiencing here - it just gets in the way of what was already a slow development.

Features or simulation updates are entirely unexpected things these days, instead, we have returned to a sort of endless backwards slog towards an indefinable "47.05 but with premium graphics" state.

I cant help but wonder, who actually plays DF right now? if you look at the release numbers, 14k, QUICKLY dropped to an average of 1k over the past year.

Having sold HOW many copies of this game? we certain extreme market saturation effect (I had friends buy DF if only because I talked it up so much! only to never play it because, well, its DF! lol)  and then an absence of actual players. Who is buying games and not playing them, fess up.

I swear the only true beneficiary of this update was BlindIRL because now his audience (people who dont actually play the game but like to listen to him talk authoritatively) can read the screen.

if  the end goal was to introduce this game to a wider audience, that has definitely not occurred, and frankly speaking you've gone and traded some of your most loyal fans for a bunch of zoomers who quickly forgot about the game or are currently trolling the steam forums because DF is not anything compared to Rimworld in terms of game mechanics, and Rimworld is likely their only reference point for this 'genre' of games. and games journalists comparing the two has only done DF a disservice.

I could go on and on about this particular turn of events but it just kinda saddens me to see this ideological demand for an aesthetically consumable product has pushed DF into yet another circle of development hell
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:34:07 pm by Salmeuk »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2024, 03:18:14 pm »

I just hope that 2024 is a relatively small hiccup in DF's development, and that when all the UI and stuff is caught up, Tarn & Co can press forward to making those new features that they want, you want, and we all want. Sometimes you just gotta spend some time consolidating and de-spaghettifying things to make the road ahead smoother. That's how it is for my own code projects, and I can imagine that something like DF has tons of spaghetti.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2024, 03:41:53 am »

Found a neat sort of way to enable player necromancy in adventure mode a little  early 😂 😂 it's a bit of a pain in the butt but it works hehe go science☠️💨💨

the man left of the jackass is the necromancer

you need a necromancer creating system a way to transmit it and a creature that can sing really really really good

since adventurers cant use interactions yet, why not in grand dwarf fortress fashion use a hilarious workaround

enemy creatures and party members .....can use interactions......if you can turn someone into a necromancer then get them to join you then you can *loosely* control a necromancer that uses interactions ;D <3
I'm not sure if this is easier than convincing an actual vanilla necromancer into your party though..
It is quite easy to get necromancers in your party 🥳

if you bring along some friends and turn them into necros they will res ghouls while you are fighting :D

I say loosely control because as far as I could tell the game wouldn't let me control him(the recruited necro) but he followed me around in my party and resurrected everything that I killed which was pretty funny

;) happy hunting

really getting this dialed in here is my two adventurers both necromancers fighting a lord necromancer we both have summoned demons and a big battle is starting :D

had to save scum the first fight!! got totally destroyed LOL
second fight i just quickly strangled the king then ran away :DD
my buddy got his guts spilled but we summoned a hawk demon in the process :D

found a necro tower looted some books and recruited these folks with a merry song  :)

Pages: 1 [2]