Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any ETA for the next update?  (Read 3767 times)

MagmaFly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Any ETA for the next update?
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:38:11 pm »

Hey, I was thinking about getting back into the games but if theres an update coming soon I'll just wait. Anyone know if theres an ETA?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Any ETA for the next update?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:43:28 pm »

We're in the bugfixing phase so it's probably fairly soon, but it's impossible to really say much more than "it's definitely going to be out by the end of the year." I wouldn't wait, personally.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »

"Will miss the one-year mark" so later than July 5th. Does seem to be winding down though. End of July? Start of August? As usual, no official notice and don't expect one until about a week before.

Of course, then there's the usual high-speed flurry of releases for about 6 months as extra bits and pieces are added and new bugs are fixed...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:35:46 pm »

And about 1-2 month wait for tools to get caught up.

Though latest save compatibility break was quite long ago I expect you wouldn't get new kobolds or changes to worldgen if you make a fort now and migrate it over in fall or winter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • got it wall worked out, don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »

If you're a scrub~

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »

Plenty to play with in vanilla though. Generate worlds, make merchants with caravans lead by giant desert scorpions, assign giant ostriches as the preferred mount for a new race of hobbits. The fun never stops.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 11:23:31 pm »

Without tools, you mean? All of that is modding :v

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:33:18 pm »

Without tools, you mean? All of that is modding :v
I mean if playing the game is impossible for you without tools, then play with the new modding features, generate worlds and enjoy Legends. There's loads of new stuff to enjoy without ever being exposed to scampering ascii dorfs.

Some of us will just play the game, of course.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 02:28:16 am »

I don't mod raws as a rule, but yeah fun idea to look at is how an old/current gen does on new history (though mine don't include kobolds rn). Wondering if worldgen artifacts would cause a war where beforehand one couldn't occur due conditions.

Dalriad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 07:43:54 am »

Whenever the next LNP is released  :P

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »

I really can't wait for the new update - I definitely want to experiment with the system of civ animal sets.

I especially want to see what happens when you put civilized races as "pets".

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 01:01:10 pm »

I really can't wait for the new update - I definitely want to experiment with the system of civ animal sets.

You've been able to do that for years.  In fact, one of my first tests of the new caste system (0.31.01, so 2011) was to make male dwarves a non-intelligent caste and turn them into pets, instead.  (Interestingly, females would still develop relationships with the males, but the males were incapable of it.)

Oh, and you could milk the male dwarves, too.  (I even managed to weird out Toady with the report on that one...) You can do anything you could do to livestock, which included butchering back then, but I think the sanity checks have been updated in that regard.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:42 pm »

You've been able to do that for years.  In fact, one of my first tests of the new caste system (0.31.01, so 2011) was to make male dwarves a non-intelligent caste and turn them into pets, instead.  (Interestingly, females would still develop relationships with the males, but the males were incapable of it.)

Oh, and you could milk the male dwarves, too.  (I even managed to weird out Toady with the report on that one...) You can do anything you could do to livestock, which included butchering back then, but I think the sanity checks have been updated in that regard.
I'm aware - however I was talking outside of the caste system.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 01:57:49 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean/want/expect the next update to do on this front?
Though it makes me recall a thread where a player set elves to be buyable on embark while embarking on a glacier iirc. Heh. (You're probably aware of that too, though I'm not precisely sure which way it failed.)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 05:21:39 pm »

Couple of months? Hopefully soon. I keep wanting to get back into the game also.
Pages: [1] 2