Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma Smelter?  (Read 11211 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Magma Smelter?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 12:01:45 am »

At least one of the magma furnace's eight edge tiles has to be hanging over magma

build your workshop with the impassible (dark green) tile situated over the magma hole.  If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will take some screenshots for you.

which of these two are the truth?

Both are true - the first is a requirement (any of the 8 border tiles must be hanging over magma), but the second one is a recommendation (by putting the magma underneath the impassable tile, nothing can creep up through that tile or accidentally fall in).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33:05 pm »

I prefer this method:

"I feel so honored that this new settlement gave me their pick so I can get started. All I have to do is continue this exploratory tunnel straight on until I discover something interesting!"
Kol McImmigrant has died in the heat

(Shamelessly stolen from another thread.  :D)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 04:37:21 pm »

(by putting the magma underneath the impassable tile, nothing can creep up through that tile or accidentally fall in).
'Nothing' in this case includes the magma itself, which is very handy to know if your magma delivery system includes a pump tower. Yes, this is something I learnt the hard way.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »

(by putting the magma underneath the impassable tile, nothing can creep up through that tile or accidentally fall in).
'Nothing' in this case includes the magma itself, which is very handy to know if your magma delivery system includes a pump tower. Yes, this is something I learnt the hard way.

<3 pressurized magma pipes  ;D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: 1 [2]