Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 457526 times)

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:11 pm »

It's been discussed, in threads more relevant to it than this one.  Go post there.  Or better yet, read those posts about why it won't happen and STFU because it's not going to happen.
And it will be discussed again and again and again like many other subjects as new people bring it up, and each time I'll make the same points I did last time it was discussed. Also it will happen eventually as individual cores aren't getting faster quickly enough but I agree it won't happen any time soon.

But not in this thread.  That's my point.

Take a chill pill.

I decided to post here rather than bump a long-dead thread to or start a new one precisely because it has been discussed before. Isn't a thread about voting for suggestions everyone's a heard a hundred times already exactly the place to discuss them?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »

Take a chill pill.

See my avatar.

I decided to post here rather than bump a long-dead thread to or start a new one precisely because it has been discussed before. Isn't a thread about voting for suggestions everyone's a heard a hundred times already exactly the place to discuss them?

No actually, this is a thread about the fact that the eternal voting system exists, it is not a place to discuss the various suggestions, that's why they have their own threads.

In fact, bumpting threads is welcome.

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION

* Check our development pages. You can find everything in one place at this link.
    * Search for an existing thread.

WHEN REPLYING TO A SUGGESTION

* Try to make a contribution. If you like a suggestion, say why you like it and try to refine it if possible. If you don't like a suggestion, say why and be civil about it.
    * Be respectful.  If you don't intend to show respect, do not post.  If there is a problem, use the "Report to moderator" button on a post in the thread.  Do not handle it on your own.
    * New posters will not always follow the guidelines above, but if you aren't making an honest effort to be helpful, do not post.  The best option is to ignore redundant threads entirely, especially if somebody helpful has already replied.
    * Joking around is fine up to a point, of course, but don't be abusive or derail somebody's thread entirely.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:50 am »

Don't patronise me, I can read the big, prominent rules text just fine. It doesn't say anything about bumping threads.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 26, 2010, 05:36:03 am »

Don't patronise me, I can read the big, prominent rules text just fine. It doesn't say anything about bumping threads.

BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION
    * Search for an existing thread.

Although it doesn't outright say it, it does imply bumping threads rather than starting new ones. One of the few forums where it's a sensible idea really.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 26, 2010, 07:13:07 pm »

Does anyone else see the irony of how this conversation is dragging the thread off-topic more than a misplaced multi-threading comment?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Back on topic, I didn't realize graphics support was up to 5 now.  I haven't looked at this in a while.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2010, 12:32:27 am »

The eternal suggestion thing is the greatest thing evar. Srsly. <3 it.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 04, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »

I wish the voting allowed 10 options or even 5. Top 10 is what is being looked at, being able to select only a portion of what I want to be in it seems lacking.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 04, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

I wish the voting allowed 10 options or even 5. Top 10 is what is being looked at, being able to select only a portion of what I want to be in it seems lacking.

Vote in those that you want who aren't in TOP 10 then.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 04, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »

Yeah, I know. I've already begun several times to update the script, but always either lost time or motivation...at the moment, I prefer spending my time actually playing DF. I might come back to it once I've seen everything there is to see in the new version.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 05, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »

Perhaps it could even have a weight system. We could designate our picks according to which number, to us, it is at. If it's top 5 or top 10, you then allocate the maximum weight to the choice in the #1 slot and minimum weight to choices in the #5 or #10 slot, whichever is last. This way we start to see some stand out far more than others as they'll have more #1 slotting if people really find them that important. As it is we sort of just say, "Yeah, this is nice." to three things and leave it at that, which helps Toady see what people are clamoring for but isn't very telling in the way of the importance the player base feels about the choices.

Ideally, you could shift the "votes" to "points" and give voters X amount of points to pour into whatever suggestions they like best. If we're simulating a personal top 10, then people would have 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 (or 55) points, whereas if we are simulating a personal top 5, people would have 5+4+3+2+1 (or 15) points. This would then allow people to give their own personal weighting to choices, but everyone else would have that same option so it should keep things relatively neat and tidy. Suggestions would then, of course, be ranked by point total.

With opengl getting in there, I'd personally pour all my points into full graphic support. ;P Oooh, or maybe just half and put the other half into that machinery one... :D
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:15 pm »

Perhaps it could even have a weight system. We could designate our picks according to which number, to us, it is at. If it's top 5 or top 10, you then allocate the maximum weight to the choice in the #1 slot and minimum weight to choices in the #5 or #10 slot, whichever is last. This way we start to see some stand out far more than others as they'll have more #1 slotting if people really find them that important. As it is we sort of just say, "Yeah, this is nice." to three things and leave it at that, which helps Toady see what people are clamoring for but isn't very telling in the way of the importance the player base feels about the choices.

Ideally, you could shift the "votes" to "points" and give voters X amount of points to pour into whatever suggestions they like best. If we're simulating a personal top 10, then people would have 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 (or 55) points, whereas if we are simulating a personal top 5, people would have 5+4+3+2+1 (or 15) points. This would then allow people to give their own personal weighting to choices, but everyone else would have that same option so it should keep things relatively neat and tidy. Suggestions would then, of course, be ranked by point total.

Variations and elaborations on this idea have been discussed at various points in the thread.  zagibu was even planning on implementing it at one point:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24818.msg390915#msg390915
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24818.msg582929#msg582929
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24818.msg770743#msg770743

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 30, 2010, 12:36:52 am »

I'l prolly catch flak for this, but can the votes be cleared and the script modified to display the list of suggestions in  random order? Because right now it seems to have a big case of "i vote for the first 3 suggestions"-itis.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #417 on: July 01, 2010, 03:23:43 am »

Actually, we're in a bit of a strange state now.  I've just done my dev page update, and now the system would ideally be updated/whatever, but we can afford to be cautious about the process, since we've got lots of concrete plans to work through now and some time to spare.  At the same time, votes that people are casting now occupy more of limbo than they would have before, so delinking the vote from the OP or something might be warranted.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 01, 2010, 04:50:55 am »

What would be best, I think, is to wipe it all out. There's hundreds of suggestions there now, and if they were randomized it would only make the list too long to read and too hard to grasp. Moreover, many are obsolete now. I'd say just delete it all and begin anew. Creating an eternal suggestion and linking it to a thread can be done in a few seconds, so there wouldn't be any major loss.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 01, 2010, 06:13:56 am »

Deleting them all seems like a waste of time when you could just delete the redundant ones.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 58