Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game  (Read 43132 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Alter Ego - Life Simulation Browser Game
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »

I didn't mean to offend you, please don't show me your nude pics =/

hahahah

EDIT: Also, the only thing I'd want, is an 'ending report' or something, which would also include what happenned to your "mom and dad", and to your children.

I know "Dad" died (from a weird, random death but ok)
Don't know what became of "Mom", nor the wife or children.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:22:55 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 08:48:55 pm »

I've also felt bad by not being able to save "Jhon" in adolescence (the suicidal friend), and curiously he appeared in middle adulthood, married.
Thats his son: Jhon II

Also this is a pretty good game, except for some reason all my characters become nervous wrecks with 1% calmness. Only problem is that I try to get them to be normal, but the game says Im acting out of character and makes it even worse.

>:(

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:36 am »

If you treat your characters like they never have any bad days at all, then that's totally unnatural.  A person who NEVER has a serious breakdown and is never depressed is probably seriously screwed up inside from trying to hold it all in!  Everyone's a little abnormal.

You can also lose a ton of calmness by trying any of the big risk-taking side games and chickening out; and you start off with almost zero calmness if you answer the starting quiz question "Is it possible someone is watching your every move" (or whatever) with "yes".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 10:11:37 am »

Weird. I answered "yes" and I had almost 100 calmness.
I guess I took a good approach in most situations..and as you said, 'everyone has their bad days'
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »

Well, when you gain say...20 of a stat, I think it moves you 20% of the way from your current stat to whichever end you're going.  So trying to edge towards 100 is very hard, and if you happen to lose 50 of your stat on the way, it's hard to recover.

Most intro-quiz questions only hit you for like 20% in either direction, but the "being watched" knocks you down by -80 points.

Which still means that if you select good, positive calmness answers, you'll be back up in no time.

...what does it say about me that I try to minmax life?...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 09:50:08 pm »

I played the DOS version twice.  The first time I got stuck because the version I played was missing some of the vignettes, and the second time I made it all the way through and died in my sleep.

I've player every version ever... DOS, C=64, Atari //e, Amiga, web... it was a fun game, somewhat. I probably only played it all the way thru a couple of times. Once I died of a heart attack while playing baseball with my friends at a really advanced age.

Man, now I have to play again...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:48 pm »

...what does it say about me that I try to minmax life?...
You're smart? I don't understand all the hate about minmaxers. That's kinda the point to life you know... focus on your strengths. It's the entire basis behind efficient economic policies, how to get laid, how to run governments, how to operate business, how to make lots of friends, how to succeed in sports... oh yeah... Roleplayers can't do any of those. Maybe that's why they hate minmaxing.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 11:35:40 pm »

Minmaxing annoys some people, as it's effectively planning everything beforehand so you're the most powerful you can be, without regard for realism. It shouldn't annoy people in most situations, but in some situations criticism may be valid.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:17:26 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 04:06:20 am »

Minmaxing is a problem anytime you play a game where you're not really trying to "win" so much as to have a good time.  That includes tabletop games, where it can really screw things up when most players have average, somewhat sub-optimal builds and one guy has designed himself to dominate every single combat encounter over all the other players.  It also kind of makes Alter Ego annoying because you start thinking out-of-character things, like. "This event doesn't actually give me bonuses so I shouldn't do it", or "My super-smart intellectual character has maxed out his intelligence, so now he won't actually do anything that involves intelligence because it wouldn't give him any benefit".

Now, in games like Nethack or ADOM or especially Incursion, minmaxing is totally the name of the game.  It's not about having a good time and enjoying the experience (usually)... instead, it's about beating the program.

(Some D&D groups are more like players vs. GM, so that's appropriate.  But most tabletop stuff, yeah, no.)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:28 am »

Never heard about 'minmaxing'.
I just played it and my guy had fun
after he died he thanked for his wonderful, virtual, 2h life.

What's 'minmaxing' near a experience like that? (cries)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 06:41:09 am »

I like this game.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:11 am »

it is a lot of fun

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:14 pm »

I got kidnapped.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »

I got 50k from helping a crazy old lady.

I also got raped on my second rerun as a girl.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »

Hmmm... Appears that I haven't had any success being a calm, peaceful, homicidal, nice guy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4