Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1558950 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Chainsaw hat
« Reply #4125 on: December 03, 2015, 08:41:53 pm »

The army of Austria, approximately 100,000 strong, was setting up camp around the town of Karánsebes (now Caransebeş, in modern Romania). The army's vanguard, a contingent of hussars, crossed the Timiş River nearby to scout for the presence of the Ottoman Turks. There was no sign of the Ottoman army, but the hussars did run into a group of Tzigani, who offered to sell schnapps to the war-weary soldiers. The cavalrymen bought the schnapps and started to drink.

Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot.

Immediately, the hussars and infantry engaged in combat with one another. During the conflict, some infantry began shouting "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!"). The hussars fled the scene, thinking that the Ottoman army’s attack was imminent. Most of the infantry also ran away; the army comprised Italians from Lombardy, Serbs, Croats, and Austrians, plus other minorities, many of whom could not understand each other. While it is not clear which one of these groups did so, they gave the false warning without telling the others, who promptly fled. The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".

As the cavalry ran through the camps, a corps commander reasoned that it was a cavalry charge by the Ottoman army, and ordered artillery fire. Meanwhile, the entire camp awoke to the sound of battle and, rather than waiting to see what the situation was, everyone fled. The troops fired at every shadow, thinking the Ottomans were everywhere; in reality they were shooting fellow Austrian soldiers. The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek.

Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered 10,000 dead and wounded soldiers and easily took Karansebeş.

How the fuck did the Ottomans not take Vienna

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: December 03, 2015, 11:40:01 pm »

Moral of the story: don't drink alcohol when you're supposed to be able to fight properly.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: December 03, 2015, 11:51:51 pm »

Moral of the story: don't drink alcohol when you're supposed to be able to fight properly.
Never really stopped me much. Too bad I never took Vienna, either.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: December 03, 2015, 11:54:46 pm »

I think MZ is actually Little Mac.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: December 04, 2015, 02:38:53 am »

Or better yet, make sure your troops can all understand each other and have decent discipline.

An army managing to decimate itself through sheer force of panic is hilarious regardless.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: December 04, 2015, 10:00:11 am »

An army managing to decimate itself through sheer force of panic is hilarious regardless.
Sigworthy.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: December 04, 2015, 10:35:09 am »

The army of Austria, approximately 100,000 strong, was setting up camp around the town of Karánsebes (now Caransebeş, in modern Romania). The army's vanguard, a contingent of hussars, crossed the Timiş River nearby to scout for the presence of the Ottoman Turks. There was no sign of the Ottoman army, but the hussars did run into a group of Tzigani, who offered to sell schnapps to the war-weary soldiers. The cavalrymen bought the schnapps and started to drink.

Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot.

Immediately, the hussars and infantry engaged in combat with one another. During the conflict, some infantry began shouting "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!"). The hussars fled the scene, thinking that the Ottoman army’s attack was imminent. Most of the infantry also ran away; the army comprised Italians from Lombardy, Serbs, Croats, and Austrians, plus other minorities, many of whom could not understand each other. While it is not clear which one of these groups did so, they gave the false warning without telling the others, who promptly fled. The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".

As the cavalry ran through the camps, a corps commander reasoned that it was a cavalry charge by the Ottoman army, and ordered artillery fire. Meanwhile, the entire camp awoke to the sound of battle and, rather than waiting to see what the situation was, everyone fled. The troops fired at every shadow, thinking the Ottomans were everywhere; in reality they were shooting fellow Austrian soldiers. The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek.

Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered 10,000 dead and wounded soldiers and easily took Karansebeş.

How the fuck did the Ottomans not take Vienna
Because Polan Stronk.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »

Instead, sell it to your enemies and wait while they destroy themselves.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4133 on: December 04, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »

The lesson here kids is share your god damn schnapps

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: December 04, 2015, 07:28:53 pm »

found on the bug tracker a bug summarized as "Plump Helmet Men Can't Dance"

It is glorious.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: December 04, 2015, 07:54:22 pm »

Link?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:07 pm »

found on the bug tracker a bug summarized as "Plump Helmet Men Can't Dance"

It is glorious.
Indeed it is.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: December 04, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »

Of course Plump Helmet Men can't dance. Dancing requires good lip movement, and Purple Men have no lips.

Like they say, you need hips that do not lie. E: Bah, I meant to put lips. Just noticed it now. Whatever, you probably get the joke.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9183
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:58:36 pm by BlackFlyme »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: December 04, 2015, 08:36:16 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9183
Heh. I like how there's an option for bug "severity" which is "feature".

Reminds me of "it's not a bug, it's a feature."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 879