Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 272598 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 12:32:10 am »

nevermind
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:34:44 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 12:35:35 am »

you sure my stats are right?

im getting 3 +1's at a cost of -4, arent they each only meant to cost -1?
Confusingly, it only applies to your first new +1, and any additional +1s after that cost as normal.
+1, +1, +1 costs the same as +2, +1.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2015, 12:37:22 am »

Re-un-de-fixed my sheet.
Or something.
It should be right now.

@Skill Question: It's a magic device.
They can read the memory off into the next incarnation, whoever it is that 'they' is.
Basically, this character is a sentient Scout Eye.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:40:04 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2015, 12:54:58 am »

Re-un-de-fixed my sheet.
Or something.
It should be right now.

@Skill Question: It's a magic device.
They can read the memory off into the next incarnation, whoever it is that 'they' is.
Basically, this character is a sentient Scout Eye.
I suppose that is reasonable. Gonna need a memory storage method. Internal? Removeable? Magically linked?

So far we have built: A bug man (needs to pick four skill specializations and a couple stat adjustments), A snake Woman (all set), a human fire elementalist (needs specializations and a couple stat adjustments), and a flying eyeball (all set).

Can't wait for the rest of the sheets! Looks good so far. Again, sorry about the stat confusion.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2015, 01:00:21 am »

Spoiler: KITTY (click to show/hide)

@Ozzy, I think it would be smart to just say "Use the official ER stats and skills calculator for figuring out what spread of penalties and bonuses you can get."  That calculator exists exactly because the system is confusing and constantly messes people up.

@TBF, "sapient".  Unless you mean your character is incapable of abstract thought, in which case, good luck!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2015, 01:06:12 am »

Question: are magic schools Skill Masteries / specializations or do you get them just from having magic skill?

It's a little confusing to have two things called skills.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2015, 01:11:54 am »

Question: are magic schools Skill Masteries / specializations or do you get them just from having magic skill?

It's a little confusing to have two things called skills.

I'll call the ones you get from skill mastery "specializations". Each school is a specialization. that's the original reason I have that skill in there, so people can use more than one magic type, but can't necessarily use all of them. Of course, some characters can tinker with a wide variety of magics, but some will always be out of reach for given characters / races.

Spoiler: KITTY (click to show/hide)

@Ozzy, I think it would be smart to just say "Use the official ER stats and skills calculator for figuring out what spread of penalties and bonuses you can get."  That calculator exists exactly because the system is confusing and constantly messes people up.

@TBF, "sapient".  Unless you mean your character is incapable of abstract thought, in which case, good luck!
KITTY!!!  -ahem- Looks good, though your character's glow color makes it hard to read. I added your suggested line to the OP.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:17:07 am by Ozarck »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2015, 01:15:49 am »

Can magic be used without the specialization? Do you just get "beginner's talent"? What does that mean mechanically?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2015, 01:18:18 am »

hmm... I need another specialty...

whats a good specialty for a melee-mage?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2015, 01:23:56 am »

Now I need to decide if I'm gonna play another dancing bear or something more reasonable.
Dancing bears are practically encouraged in this game, though... I'll probably go with something else. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2015, 01:25:52 am »

Removed speech coloring, because I forgot that some people don't use the forum default color scheme.  I wasn't satisfied with it anyway.

If you need a specialization to cast magic, that causes trouble for my build.  Will we be able to level up skill mastery, adding a new specialized in doing so?  I'd rather not play a cat which is incapable of jumping, but if he just wasn't doing it for one mission, that would be fine.

@NinjaYoink
Play a skeletal carp bard, which uses its own ribcage as a xylophone.  Add your special snowflake to our unique little snowball.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 01:37:02 am »

hey ozarck can I take a specialty that lets me use my exoskeleton and constitution to deflect attacks?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 01:43:13 am »

Can magic be used without the specialization? Do you just get "beginner's talent"? What does that mean mechanically?

You can, kinda. you would require rolls with penalties every time you tried.

A spellcaster without that specializattion could try to mimic the movements, words, and will needed to make a spell work, but without training, it's going to be sloppy and most likely won't work.
A Sorcerer without specialization will have "wild" magic, which will come more likely of it's own accord, will drain the caster more, and will have more unpredicatable effects.

there is literally no downside to someone with a -2 in magic and no specialization playing around with alchemy, however.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hey ozarck can I take a specialty that lets me use my exoskeleton and constitution to deflect attacks?
yes. Call it defensive tactics or something.

Removed speech coloring, because I forgot that some people don't use the forum default color scheme.  I wasn't satisfied with it anyway.

If you need a specialization to cast magic, that causes trouble for my build.  Will we be able to level up skill mastery, adding a new specialized in doing so?  I'd rather not play a cat which is incapable of jumping, but if he just wasn't doing it for one mission, that would be fine.

@NinjaYoink
Play a skeletal carp bard, which uses its own ribcage as a xylophone.  Add your special snowflake to our unique little snowball.
syv, natural cat things don't require skills slots. Walking doesn't require a skill slot for people, after all. Assume your cat can do all the normal cat things. giving it a skill for it would make it phenomenal at that, like able to leap 20 feet or something. Also, skill mastery/specialization can be leveled like any other skill, using the point system from ER.

Yeah, I tend to be okay with odd characters. it's in my nature I guess.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2015, 01:52:18 am »

You can, kinda. you would require rolls with penalties every time you tried.

A spellcaster without that specializattion could try to mimic the movements, words, and will needed to make a spell work, but without training, it's going to be sloppy and most likely won't work.
A Sorcerer without specialization will have "wild" magic, which will come more likely of it's own accord, will drain the caster more, and will have more unpredicatable effects.

there is literally no downside to someone with a -2 in magic and no specialization playing around with alchemy, however.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With this in mind, edited.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 04:22:38 am »

Spoiler: It's Fiddler! (click to show/hide)

Since you said to use the ER calculator, I went with the 2 X (+1) --> 2 X (-1) rule. Correct me if that's wrong.

Also, considering the existence of Will and Memory, Intelligence looks primed to be the dump stat to end all dump stats. Though maybe a lack of Intuition may offset that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:05:51 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 194