Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2210162 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Sequel or Do-over?
« Reply #10845 on: January 07, 2015, 02:44:38 am »

Honestly? I say that fuck the poll, just go with a reboot since you are pretty obviously not feeling the whole sequel thing (that you reset the poll because you didn't like what it was saying says volumes). If you force yourself into a project you don't want to do, it absolutely will not work unless you either are being paid for it or are blessed with an unholy amount of willpower.

I personally think that it'd be a great opportunity for us to put the lessons we learned from this clusterfuck to work. We can keep all the stuff that worked (community contribution (admit it, the early bit where everyone and their brother was writing and drawing crap was amazing), a fun backstory/setting (with guidelines enforced to prevent things from getting out of hand, of course), cool mods) while avoiding the mistakes we made the first time around (temper tantrums left and right, a complete lack of any sort of communication between major writers, long delays prompting us to write increasingly-convoluted side stories just to keep interest up). It'd be like a rebirth.

Overall: This fort was what happens when a poorly conceived clusterfuck goes to term - It ended badly, tripped over itself, and in (I'm exaggerating here) general is an astonishing display of simultaneous enthusiasm, hyper competence atypical of a truly great fort, and chilling ineptitude on par with many other complete disasters on the meta front that ranks somewhere between becoming a WoW addict, killing your best friend with a wiffle ball bat you fired out of a potato gun, and being a coke smuggler.

More like what happens when you stick a bunch of mentally-unstable people with vast imaginations and no common sense into a little padded room and leave them without adult supervision for over a year. But we're better people now. Probably.

I do enjoy the fact that this fort's clusterfuck was entirely on a meta level, with the fort itself basically becoming problem-free towards the end.

E: Addendum: Also some sort of guideline to prevent overly-speshul OCs from being introduced would be swell. This fort started at "planeshifting mad scientist gnome" and actually proceeded to get even worse from there. I propose that, similar to Riverrun, any OCs *must* be flesh-and-blood dwarves with no powers outside of the mundane.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:04:29 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: January 07, 2015, 03:01:29 am »

>Poll reset
Actually I reset the poll because if anyone does/did have a change of heart in either direction they can't exactly change thier vote. Some may see it as even more of a reason to bite the bullet and push forward, while others may now think a sequel wouldn't be as good an idea as they initially thought when the voted the first time, and still more others may now decide that they don't give two hiddly diddly fucks in either direction and want to make it known by filing under indifferent.

>Rebirth
My thoughts exactly to be honest. I was just thinking the Armory add in an extra enemy (Vampiric Empire Remnants if anyone else thinks it's a good idea,) and fiddle with the spawn to make them more varied and crapshooty as to how easy they'd be to kill.

>Early stuff
Sweet mother of god did I miss that. Try as I may I know I'll never be able to achieve such an effect in any solo endeavors. Kind of hurst reading that but it's true.

More like what happens when you stick a bunch of mentally-unstable people with vast imaginations and no common sense into a little padded room and leave them without adult supervision for over a year.
Most stunningly appropriate description ever for post-end Spearbreakers, and much better way of wording what I said.

>Character rules
I would have implemented them anyway, since they were enforced in Riverrun due to what happened here and because of DreamerGhost's bodysurfing monster guy in Carryscar.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: January 07, 2015, 03:12:35 am »

Most stunningly appropriate description ever for post-end description, and much better way of wording what I said.

Tee-hee. Still, you managed to work the word 'wiffle ball' into yours, which certainly earns it some points.

I personally think we should keep the Spawn largely the same (if only because I'm proud of my babies and don't like to see them changed), although I still loooooove the idea of having a feral (and much-weaker) variety of Spawn turn up as a wild encounter in order to spice things up. Nothing too complicated, of course; just a smaller Spawn that sometimes turns up and tries to get into your fort to wreck shit. I also like the idea of a vampire civ, and maybe banshees (sorry to keep plugging them but I really think we need a way to punish turtling late-game), but that's it.

Also, because I edited in and you may not have seen it:
Addendum: Also some sort of guideline to prevent overly-speshul OCs from being introduced would be swell. This fort started at "planeshifting mad scientist gnome" and actually proceeded to get even worse from there. I propose that, similar to Riverrun, any OCs *must* be flesh-and-blood dwarves with no powers outside of the mundane.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:52 am »

[scribbling forcefully] New... OC... Required.
Got it :3~<

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: January 07, 2015, 04:02:53 am »

I saw it, yeah. Anything I start from now one will have a Standard Operating Procedure with that because while I don't want to step on people's creativity, I have indeed learned from my mistakes and there's things I won't let people get away with again.

Magma weaponization isn't one of those things since spawn can be incinerated while alive now. And in fact I may set us up on a volcano for the express intent of saving us the trouble of bringing it up to use on them (and mitigating the FPS hassel a massive pumping op would entail somewhat.)

EDIT: On that note, I am in fact starting field tests of the spawn.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10850 on: January 07, 2015, 04:10:15 am »

EDIT: On that note, I am in fact starting field tests of the spawn.

Awwww yeahhhhhhh

I can't remember clearly, but they seemed a bit underpowered based on your arena findings... Should be interesting to see how they measure up outside of a controlled setting, where literally anything can go wrong.

E: Classic froggy avatar is go. Let's make this shit happen, assholes.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:17:25 am by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10851 on: January 07, 2015, 04:18:38 am »

Well it was less underpowered and more the armor being used had been beefed up immensely. If anything they're freakishly powerful for thier size: Two bruising hits get through an iron helmet and chain coif and that soldier's head will be crushed into paste.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: January 07, 2015, 04:20:41 am »

Sorry for the long absence lads, but I take it we're not going to continue on this particular fork of the story with the space travel and the railguns and the robots and such? What's the current status of the next game? Position of chief is still up, right?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10853 on: January 07, 2015, 04:26:37 am »

Sorry for the long absence lads, but I take it we're not going to continue on this particular fork of the story with the space travel and the railguns and the robots and such? What's the current status of the next game? Position of chief is still up, right?

Sure looks like a reboot is what's on the horizon, yeah. It's a bit sad to throw away everything after spending so much time laughing and crying over the mess we made but it's really better for everyone involved to just start fresh.

Status of next game is that there probably will be a next game, possibly even soon, and that Splint is planning a volcano embark (which are always !!FUN!!) and that there may or may not be a vampire civ or something added. I dunno. The wheels really didn't start to really spin on this until just a few days ago. You missed very little.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:30:09 am by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: January 07, 2015, 04:28:23 am »

All good. And probably not, but god damn does it make a good, if convoluted, setting on its own. And chief?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:36 am »

god damn does it make a good, if convoluted, setting on its own.

Indeed. Part of me wants to retain some of the sci-fi factions, albeit in a limited fashion with all of the confusing BS excised. They're pretty irrelevant to the fort itself, though, so it's probably a bad idea.

(Gonna nip off to bed now, kiddies. Happy evildoing~)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: January 07, 2015, 04:40:12 am »

The SciFi factions could possibly be reimagined into an in-universe counterpart.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: January 07, 2015, 04:41:53 am »

Well, Parasol was just an inept science/general retailer looking company in Syrupleaf, responsible for such things as magma proof parasols. WWhile said parasols were highly effective, they failed to actually help the users if at any point the user caught fire.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: January 07, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »

The SciFi factions could possibly be reimagined into an in-universe counterpart.

I love this idea and am annoyed by the lack of an upvote button (my brief sojourn on Reddit damaged me)

Like they can still be shady science companies but something more in line with the setting's tech level and no OP spacetime wormholes or confusing-ass multiverse-scale continuity snarls to deal with

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

E: Request: In order to prevent things from getting too out of hand again, maybe just put a short description of the setting and various factions and what they're about into the thread OP, along with a guideline stating that while people are allowed to flesh them out, they are not to add any more factions or whatever. When people start adding their own factions and whatnot to the story halfway through it tends to get messy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:04:22 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: January 07, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »

Spawn have yet to show up in the first field test but I know they're out here. They and goblins are the only notable neighbors (discounting an apparent group of kobolds that managed to take over a forest retreat, probably in wake of the spawn and goblins forcing everyone into a tiny little pocket of land behind a mountain range.)

I'm going to start typing some things up for an OP, so we can dive in once A. the spawn are fully tested, and B. the patches and such slow down at the very least (as we'll need DFhack to clean up the copious numbers of item splatters trees like to leave behind now for FPS conservation unless that gets addressed soon.)
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 815