Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 36244 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:10 am »

The surprising thing was that there wasn't a mad rush by my haulers to do the hokey-pokey in the front door.

Maybe you had "forbid other death items" on and it was a gob's sock?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:26 am »

Actuality its true wagons can run shit over. I have even seen it myself, a kobold thief was found, and then ran over by a wagon that was leaving my depot. The first wagon did not kill it… but the traders bought two wagons.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 05:51:22 am »

I'm gonna go ahead and take my "making shit up" comment back. Interpreting cases like this as being caused by a wagon running shit over might not be accurate (it was said in the quoted thread that it was most likely a case of draft animals or traders attacking your intruders, and I think that's more likely), but at least I see where you're coming from.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 06:10:57 am »

Long story short: A soldier drowns, two squad leaders dead, and two civilian casualties. If that wasn't enough, a get a message shortly after telling me a hunter canceled the hunt due to dangerous terrain. She jumped into a pool hunting a wolf.
What the pool was doing hunting a wolf, we'll never know.
That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 06:45:04 am »

Just recently something incredibly strange happened to me ...

My dwarves were actually useful, on time and effective in combat!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2009, 08:54:35 am »

I have been using long 3 tile wide entrance corridors in most of my forts for a while now, and many times have seen a wagon occupying the same space as a dwarf, tame animal, trade rep, or other friendly.  I have never once seen an injury from being 'run over' by a wagon.  So I'm still doubtful.  If a kobold died after coming in contact with a wagon, it's probably because one of the animals pulling the wagon kicked it to death.

My moment of recent dwarf surprise?  A useless immigrant fisherdwarf in my fortress insists on trekking out to the distant river to fish.  I couldn't care less for his safety, but am worried that if he dies his two children who are friends with half the fortress might trigger a tantrum spiral, so I assign half a dozen war dogs to guard him.  An ambush comes, and the fisherdwarf survives while most of his dogs are killed.  Miserable, he tantrums and smashes an entrance trap.  The Sheriff decides enough is enough and kills the tantruming fisherdwarf with a single blow.

His children are ecstatic with the news of their father's death, and go right on partying and making freinds.  Alrighty then.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2009, 09:02:42 am »

His children are ecstatic with the news of their father's death, and go right on partying and making freinds.

Maybe the father was a prick or outright abusive?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:42 am »

His children are ecstatic with the news of their father's death, and go right on partying and making freinds.

Maybe the father was a prick or outright abusive?
I was suspicious when the guy showed up as an immigrant with no wife and two 'daughters'.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2009, 09:37:22 am »

so I assign half a dozen war dogs to guard him.

I seem to be limited to assigning two war dogs per stumpy. How did you assign him six?
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2009, 10:01:18 am »

I seem to be limited to assigning two war dogs per stumpy. How did you assign him six?

(v)iew units, (p)references, (e) to assign war animals, and I've never had it stop me at two.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2009, 10:10:10 am »

I decided to post this thing that has amazed me today.

My dwarves are freaking SMART!

One strange mood. He got everything he needed, used lots of expensive gear in it and things I had too much of to make a ring that costs about a million dwarfpounds!

In related news, my dwarves were building the great wall of Rithodad, and one built a section of wall, and then grabbed a nearby stone block to continue work instead of going back to the stockpile like normal.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2009, 10:56:08 am »

Well I was surprised a few moments ago ...

I had constructed a well in the barracks so that when my soldiers got wounded they would have easy access to water. Smart huh? Well one hammerdwarf knocked another hammerdwarf into the well and *sigh* the poor guy drowned.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:49 am »

A child entered a martial trance and killed an antman. Not sure if this counts, but a dog protected the child by killing Michael Jackson.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2009, 12:02:06 pm »

No, wagons do run things over - I've had them discover and take care of kobold thieves in the same instant.
Was it perhaps the attendant guards that "did for" the kobold?

Which is not to say it might not have beent he wagon, but they do seem to occupy the same space as other things quite easily.

Case in point, last night I had an interesting time, with several things that surprised me.  The Dwarf trading contingent came along, with four wagons and associated accompanying peoples.  Now, I have the main entrance to my compound on its north side, but the wagons come from the south, so they started up the cutting up the centre of my map, just to the west of my area, which I'd specially dug so that  they didn't try to encircle the eastern-central segment 'deep cut' area where I'm megaprojecting at the moment, and take too long to get to me.

To continue in the general theme of this thread...  An ambush suddenly occurs (to the SE, too far from the wagons to matter, but bothering an animal trainer who'd gone out in the field to tame one of the chimpanzees who'd been caught in my cage traps), I set to activated the bridge/barrier at the compound entrance without thinking, and one of the wagons that had nearly reached it ended up with its horses 'on' the gate.  The other three eventually started to turn around (blocky-wise) and I ended up with three wagons on top of each other in the cutting.  And assorted merchant-types, all taking the long route around the deep-cut.  Continuing even when I lowered the bridge.  (As of making the Save last night, they were still wandering round the edge, untroubled by the various battles recounted and still to come.

Anyway, after dealing with the ambush (I placed High and Restricted traffic zones so that the Animal Trainer ran away from the goblins straight across a number of traps I'd put along that narrow border of the map between deep-cut and edge, they followed him and got swallowed up one by one ;)), and dealing with another attacking force from the western hills of my map[1] (shooting down upon my compound from the rise across from the cutting) by setting up another High Traffic zone along the leeward side of the western compound wall so my military could get to a good battle-position without being hit by potshots, and the fortuitous use of some more traps I have set up in the vicinity), I started looking at the trading possibilities.

I now have an awful number of caged POWs (encaged Hostiles and Invaders of various kinds) who I hadn't yet properly dealt with (I'm still perfecting my Death Pit), and I decided to send some up for trading.  Of course, I did it wrong, and suddenly the Elf Guard (one of the Goblin Hoardes, and highly skilled in all three aspects of physicality) is disturbing one of my workers, deep in the depths of my fort where I'd (B)uilt his cage the previous year.  Worrying that all my military are out and about, and wondering who inside I can conscript to dea with him, suddenly there's a red Splat! and he is no more.  He'd hit a 10 (no-modifier) crossbow Weapon Trap that I'd set up early on in the fortress's life (to use up the first few low-quality crossbows made by the budding bowyer, and some of the bone bolts) and instantly died.

Then I notice that my Mayor/omni-Noble guy is wandering back across the deepcut (on a "Give water" task for one of the injured military guys) followed by a white "g".  Not a gazelle (different colour) so I check, and it's a "Goblin..."  ARGH!  "...hamlet liaison".  Ah, yes.  He's a friendly.  Forgot about him.  Elsewhere in this forum I mentioned him and attributed him to the Human traders, but I'd misremembered the season, and he comes with the Dwarfs.

And the wagons were still trundling round, when I last saved. ;)

[1] Not entirely sure if they're associated with the other lot.  I have two neighbouring goblin civilisations, and the ones from the west seem to come along with archers whereas the ones from the SE never do.  They often appear in quick succession, but other than that I can see no similarity or coordination.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »

Not sure if this counts, but a dog protected the child by killing Michael Jackson.

Well, it does count for you getting on everyone's (hopefully) shitlist for having a terrible sense of humor, for what it's worth. I'm frankly disgusted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13