Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: ASOF (Game Thread) Day 1-Jao is useful  (Read 27766 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Caern's Cursed Dice
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:35 am »

Urgh!

Emilia didn't like insects very much, but the heat of battle kept her relatively calm.

"Wen Tsu! I'll go for the pillar!" she cries, agilely twisting through the hole she had formed before dashing south and slicing at the strange tentacle-like object with all she could muster.

Emilia to 22-C, attack nearby Shadowy Pillar.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Diversionary Tactics
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »

Both Caerns were frustrated with how easily their opponent dodged their hits, but only became truly pissed off at having their souls called corrupted. "You're the monster here! I'll make you swallow those words and my fists along with 'em!!" he roared before Moubu came to his rescue.

"Thanks!" It was good he was one for short thanks, because there wasn't enough time to say or do much before he and the orc were bombarded with darkness. The half-golem's attempts to avoid the onslaught were far from graceful and ended up with him hurting and on the ground. He was still pumped up, though, as was his illusionary copy. "Come down here too and get some of this!" "No time to lay down and rest! Back up!"
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:38:20 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Caern's Cursed Dice
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2016, 12:59:58 pm »

There was a part of Anders that wished he had enough concentration free to attempt to touch one of the Shadow things, and see what he could wrest from those bizarre threads. The advice of his mother would doubtless have been helpful in this moment, but, well, he had chosen a very different path. 

The arrival of the peculiar Jao afforded Anders something of an opportunity, a moment to strike at the filaments that seemed to feed the Troll. He didn't understand exactly hat cheeseboard Jao had left behind, and Anders hadn't recalled seeing any Damsels, but, well, there was no sense in delay.

Persistent Damage II, target the bundle of black threads currently tethering adjacent Shadow Troll
Maintain Illusory Caern
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2016, 11:02:50 am »

"Ha! Yer gert big shadowy eejits! Yer can't touch Garl's Glamourous Jao, yer feckwizzles! Have this! Avast!"

Immobilise the shadowgit attacking Anders with the voice of poetry (+1 due to voice). Continue to float around distractingly towards K9

"I tell you shadows you can't touch me!
I'm here but also there and you know you can't touch me!
Look in my eyes - ewww, actually don't -
You know let me declaim my wonderful poetry because you can't touch me!
Eejits!"

Once arrived nearer Anders warn him:

"I can't hold them off forever, young Anders - I've left behind a cheeseboard in distress... I do likes a bit of cheese... and damsels."

Jao finally decides to use the abilities he has had all along!

DC 12 vs 1d8+1d8+1d20 (7+7+5)=13 (Advantage 1)

The sheer power of his magical compulsion freezes the shadowgit to the ground!

Then he floats Southwards, gladly taking the attack of opportunity-because immaterial, duh.

Those Celestial Badgers are getting closer, though...if they catch him, he'll get thrown back in the real world! Which would really be disappointing.

Both Caerns were frustrated with how easily their opponent dodged their hits, but only became truly pissed off at having their souls called corrupted. "You're the monster here! I'll make you swallow those words and my fists along with 'em!!" he roared before Moubu came to his rescue.

"Thanks!" It was good he was one for short thanks, because there wasn't enough time to say or do much before he and the orc were bombarded with darkness. The half-golem's attempts to avoid the onslaught were far from graceful and ended up with him hurting and on the ground. He was still pumped up, though, as was his illusionary copy. "Come down here too and get some of this!" "No time to lay down and rest! Back up!"

Illusion Caern's magic doesn't seem to work like it's should...he feels he could cast if 'master' Anders channeled power to him.

Shrugging, he tosses his spear at the Shadow Halfling.

DC 16 vs 1d10+1d10+1d20 (5+9+6)=15 (Advantage 1)

The little being manages to barely duck the first missile!

Meanwhile, real Caern trips forward in a panic to avoid the shadow explosives...

Random Direction: 1d8=8
Round up/down: 1d2=2

Caern saves from 3 lethal damage

And, promptly smacks his face into the side of a building, stunned.

Shake Off Bane vs Dc10: 1d20=5

A deep exhaustion battles with his fury, a calling to rise and fight...

DC 16 vs 1d10+1d20 (1+11)=12 (Advantage 1/Disadvantage 1)

His own wildly thrown spear ricochets off the side of the building. Disappointing!

Caern has a choice to make!
Will he call upon his reserves of strength?

In exchange for burning his daily use of Resilient, Caern can choose to remove his bane automatically on the next turn, without costing any action. Otherwise, he will automatically succeed standing up, still at the cost of a movement action.

Moubu grunted in frustration as the shadowman popped into shadowstuff as he struck at it. His frustration turned in a growl of anger and pain as the as the shadowy explosions rocked around him! He stood his ground against the deadly attack, stumbling out of the dust coughing and bleeding from multiple wounds. "Whatever these things are, I'm not sure that we're actually making progress! Pop one and it skitters away, who knows if we're even really damaging these things, but they sure as hell are doing damage to us!" Moubu shouted to his allies as he stumbled forward. "I'm going to go see what happens if we break one of those pillars!"

Move action: Move to M22
Minor Action: Sustain Regeneration
Major action: N/A

Moubu gets rocked by explosives, but he sprints closer to the pillar all the same.

As he notes Emilias and Wens attack against the other pillar in the next action, this one seem to notice the parties intent-it begins to firmly link itself to the ground, growing armor-plates of darkness around the pillar, to protect it...

Wen-Tsu called out to the others with a surprising volume for such a little rabbit-girl, sticking her head out the window.

"Oh, oh! Cut the threads that connect the shadows to the pillars! Then attack the pillars! Otherwise, they'll keep coming!"

Coincidentally, she called out pretty much at the same time as Moubu, and nodded to herself. She snapped her fingers. Looking back towards the woman demolishing the wall, she could just see the edge of the pillar through a different window. She pulled herself back inside and clapped once.

Two blades of mud, sharp rocks held like the teeth of a saw in the mud, formed scissors and closed onto the pillar at B23
Urgh!

Emilia didn't like insects very much, but the heat of battle kept her relatively calm.

"Wen Tsu! I'll go for the pillar!" she cries, agilely twisting through the hole she had formed before dashing south and slicing at the strange tentacle-like object with all she could muster.

Emilia to 22-C, attack nearby Shadowy Pillar.

Emilia and Wen-Tsu combo attack the pillar-Emilia giving a mighty slice and Wen-Tsu attempting to snip it like a moon-flower stalk.

It seems to work, at least partially.

? -5 HP

As soon as the tentacle takes damage from the attacks, it quickly begins to retract itself into the sky. They manage to cut off quite a few of the shadowy appendages, before it escapes back into it's 'body'. That's one pillar down!

There was a part of Anders that wished he had enough concentration free to attempt to touch one of the Shadow things, and see what he could wrest from those bizarre threads. The advice of his mother would doubtless have been helpful in this moment, but, well, he had chosen a very different path. 

The arrival of the peculiar Jao afforded Anders something of an opportunity, a moment to strike at the filaments that seemed to feed the Troll. He didn't understand exactly that cheeseboard Jao had left behind, and Anders hadn't recalled seeing any Damsels, but, well, there was no sense in delay.

Persistent Damage II, target the bundle of black threads currently tethering adjacent Shadow Troll
Maintain Illusory Caern

Anders aims carefully at the strands connecting the Troll...

DC 12 vs 2d6+1d20 (6+4+4+14)=24 (Advantage 1 Weapon)

His knife manages to slice, yet not separate, the cord. Perfect.

Shadows Turn!

Shadow-Troll 1 frozen to the ground and unable to strike the taunting Halfling, promptly implodes. Well, that's one way to clear a bane.

Shadow-Troll 2 aims a heavy two handed blow down on the annoying insect stinging him...

Anders Agility/DC 17 vs Shadow Entropy 2d6+1d20 (7+1)=8

But, only strikes the ground. The Shadow-Troll also doesn't seem to notice, as pure darkness begins to leak out of his strand behind him, like blood from an artery.

? -2 HP

Shadow-Halfling seems hesitant to fire when his enemies don't politely clump up for him.

Sneering, he aims a shadowy shotgun shell of darkness at the proned real Caern!

Caern Evasion/DC 19 vs Entropy 2d6+1d20 (2+6+3+18)=23 (Disdvantage 1, Prone)

Caern is blasted by black buckshot! Brutality! Boom!

Caern -4 HP

Interestingly, the destruction of the shadow pillar in the Southwest corner causes Shadow-Spider and Shadow-Spider 3 to panic-they double move toward the same roof the Halfling is on, clinging above the parties heads, before leaping into the pillar in the Southest corner, and reconnecting themselves. Afterwards, they join the halfling on the roof.

And a few seconds later, another shadow Halfling appears beside them!

Meanwhile, the Shadow-Troll who vanished in the North is replaced by three Shadow-Monkey Bees!

Everybody's turn is back up!

Initiative checks!

Caern (both) 1d20 (19)=19
Moubo 1d8+1d20 (7+10)=17
Emilia 2d6+1d20 (7+7)=14
Wen-Tsu 1d4+1d20 (1+11)=12
Anders 2d6+1d20 (9+3)=12
Shadow Creatures 1d6+1d20=11
Jao 1d10+1d20 (1+8)=9

Everybody, your actions are up! (Even Jao)

Spoiler: Big ol' map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map Legend (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

Wen-Tsu
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jao
Emilia
Moubu
Anders
Caern (Illusion)
Caern (Real)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:16:11 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Making Progress
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2016, 11:55:57 am »

”Come on, yer feckwizzles! Begone!”

Jao searches his pack for some distractory food supply to wang towards the badbadgers, and drifts back up about 20 feet to see if he can find someone to be polite with, and tries to charm them with his charm. Maybe find some lovely girls to chat with. Get a sniff of their cheeseboard. Network.

”So… Garl invited me. I’m totally on the list, you know. But say, how do I get a free access pass? You know, so I can come and go as I please, like – and not have them eejit badgers chasing me all the time. See, I’m trying to escape the wrath of a great massive shadowgobshite who wants to do unspeakable badthings to me – he’s all like up and mangling my colleagues as we speak, and I’m powerless against them. Except of course, I did just singlehandedly paralyse its most powerful minion, but there’s only so much one can do, even if one is as tremendous as me. Soo… yes. Having a good time? Say, where actually is this?”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2016, 12:18:05 pm »

”Come on, yer feckwizzles! Begone!”

Jao searches his pack for some distractory food supply to wang towards the badbadgers, and drifts back up about 20 feet to see if he can find someone to be polite with, and tries to charm them with his charm. Maybe find some lovely girls to chat with. Get a sniff of their cheeseboard. Network.

”So… Garl invited me. I’m totally on the list, you know. But say, how do I get a free access pass? You know, so I can come and go as I please, like – and not have them eejit badgers chasing me all the time. See, I’m trying to escape the wrath of a great massive shadowgobshite who wants to do unspeakable badthings to me – he’s all like up and mangling my colleagues as we speak, and I’m powerless against them. Except of course, I did just singlehandedly paralyse its most powerful minion, but there’s only so much one can do, even if one is as tremendous as me. Soo… yes. Having a good time? Say, where actually is this?”

Jao floats a bit upwards, all Gods existing primarily on vertical planes apparently. He notices above him is an even stranger party-Everyone and everything is on fire, the people are made of molten sludge, and they're really angry about something-probably has to do with that big red and blue wall map. There's significantly more of one color than the other. Ooh, they're really mad about the colors...he pokes his head back down before they can sic the molten badgers on him.

Downwards, however, is Garl's Party-roughly equivalent to where he came in on, which is ground level. You really have to think in multiple dimensions when you interact with the Gods. Also, for his conversation to make sense, he would have had actually to go back down, and so that's what he does.

He strikes up a near timeless conversation with a glittering cheese wielding Halfling ghost. She's quite pretty, with a shapely body and auburn hair, only slightly faded on account of being dead. And, seemingly impressed by Jao's 'heroics'. It's kind of weird to see a ghost blush...

"Ah, well, this is sort of the afterlife, Mr. Jao. Or, more accurately, the pre-after life. I haven't seen what comes when you go through the big doors, and leave the party. I mean, the Dying isn't so bad, really-the Gods take care of us after we go. And it's much better than going to the wall, anyway. But, who knows what comes after? I only wish I have someone to hold my hand when I go through...have to wait for a few of my family members to join me, anyway...never had a boyfriend...

Also, usually Garl only invites those who had mostly good hearts, and who died...amusingly. I drowned in an industrial sized vat of cheese fondue my families bakery, for example. Ironic, yes? I was always so clumsy..."
She says, offering him some more cheese.

"I'm sure if you find a funny way to die, you'll get a permanent invitation." she says, smiling hopefully at the thought.

Well, at least Jao has a fallback girl...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2016, 03:01:32 pm »

Moubu  grimly grins as he notices the shadowspiders reacting to the attack on their pillar. "It seems that whatever this is attacking the pillars is working!" He shouted as he barreled forward. Noticing the Pillar in front of him growing stronger against his approach only prompted a snarl as he sped up, raising his shield and readying his warhammer as he went barreling into the pillar with all his might! It was time to see if the defenses of a shadow pillar could stand to the full might of Moubu!

Minor Action: Upkeep Regeneration
Move Action: Move to N22
Major action: Use Might 5 to make a Damaging Attack on Shadowpillar!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 03:07:25 pm by Criptfeind »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2016, 06:07:35 pm »

Anders could feel a tug from the illusory Caern, a bizarre sort of need. It was peculiarly like the feeling when he channeled the influence of his heritage to warp the world, but yet of a very different candor. He fed the feeling, letting the illusion he sculpted sculpt him in turn.

Stay just out of reach of the troll, focus my efforts on keeping it bleeding darkness and on feeding illusory Caern the necessary energy to do whatever an illusory Caern can

"Measure your cuts," Anders said, not really caring if the others heard his barely raised voice. "Destruction merely leads to more shadows, but they bleed just fine..."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:44 pm »

"GRRRR!!" "GRRAAHHH!" Roaring and groaning seemed to do little in the Caerns' benefit, because they kept failing at all their attempts at being useful. The original article had to throw his spear while simultaneously recovering from his face's impromptu meeting with a wall while his copy had no better luck with his throw. It's not like either of them were about to quit, though. Hitting the pillars seemed like a good idea, but neither liked the idea of just letting the shadow creatures blast at them in the meanwhile.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2016, 04:26:56 am »

Haha! That had worked! Feeling triumphant, the moon rabbit span and repeated the magic at the pillar behind her.  The ground bubbled and formed another pair of blades, resembling garden shears - to snip the pillar like she did that one time (by accident!) to Nu-Lu's favourite bonsai.

Rabbit scissoro: second slice  - snip the pillar at B2 with all the benefits of not moving, etc
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2016, 07:55:01 am »

”What is your name, O shining beautiful Halflingette? I, Jao Jankins, Bandit of the Hedgerows, will come for you should I die an amusing death, and we shall walk together through yon Big Doors! Yes. But now I must leave. Let me taste one more time your exquisite cheeseboard. By the gods your hair is enthralling.”

Ask, and then float back up to Garl’s party.

”O, Garl – who truthfully be exceedingly Glamourous – I am terribly afraid of being chased from your beautiful party dimension by the celestial badgerfiends and suchlike, and back in my own dimension there appear to be shadowgits intent on ripping me limb from limb. I don’t want to go back there, unless of course I can defeat the shadowgits, but I am but a poor half-Halfling, and what I lack in weakness of heart I very much make up for in weakness of swordarm. Yea. So, like, what I wanted to know, I suppose, was how I can stay here. Or how I can return at will. You know, become, like, Jao the Ethereal Poet of Glamourous Gloom. Actually I can see how occasionally becoming ethereal at will could be an abusable trait – muchly useful in playing innocent pranks on the unexpecting, stealing their stuff, gorging oneself on the cheeseboard of the afterlife, that kind of thing.

Well, in that case, I’d better go and face my fate, and see what I can do about these shadowfeckers molesting my comrades. For now I have found a second reason to live – not just to become the greatest unwanted poet ever, but also to do that and then die amusingly and meet the fair shining Halflingette. Unless of course she’s going to the bad afterlife – do you know anything about that? I only want to go with her if she’s like, going to a pleasant afterlife. Although I could certainly try to rescue her, I suppose.

Oh hey – “
to the passing cheeseboardbearer – ”Could I have another cube of that one, please?”

Speak thus to Garl, and then presuming he can’t aid me, float back to the desperate combat against the Shadowgits.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2016, 08:09:36 pm »

Emilia, deciding that the adorable moon rabbit probably had things under a decent level of control, decides that taking a vantage point in the canopy would be a good decision. It had worked well for her last time, after all, and she wanted to see if she could spot where the pillars were heading to.

Emilia casts Haste II on herself before scaling the building at (16,E).

((I'm asuming the overhead rules are the same as the last encounter. If not, I might change my actions.))
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2016, 08:27:01 pm »

”O, Garl – who truthfully be exceedingly Glamourous – I am terribly afraid of being chased from your beautiful party dimension by the celestial badgerfiends and suchlike, and back in my own dimension there appear to be shadowgits intent on ripping me limb from limb. I don’t want to go back there, unless of course I can defeat the shadowgits, but I am but a poor half-Halfling, and what I lack in weakness of heart I very much make up for in weakness of swordarm. Yea. So, like, what I wanted to know, I suppose, was how I can stay here. Or how I can return at will. You know, become, like, Jao the Ethereal Poet of Glamourous Gloom. Actually I can see how occasionally becoming ethereal at will could be an abusable trait – muchly useful in playing innocent pranks on the unexpecting, stealing their stuff, gorging oneself on the cheeseboard of the afterlife, that kind of thing.

Well, in that case, I’d better go and face my fate, and see what I can do about these shadowfeckers molesting my comrades. For now I have found a second reason to live – not just to become the greatest unwanted poet ever, but also to do that and then die amusingly and meet the fair shining Halflingette. Unless of course she’s going to the bad afterlife – do you know anything about that? I only want to go with her if she’s like, going to a pleasant afterlife. Although I could certainly try to rescue her, I suppose.

Oh hey – “
to the passing cheeseboardbearer – ”Could I have another cube of that one, please?”

His Miraculousness Garl is indescribably handsome to your mortal senses in his Godly form, but in the company of mortals, he prefers to wear a much more casual form-one that won't make your eyeballs fly out of your head, or turn your soul into ashes, or maybe transform you into a wad of tasty cotton candy.

He helpfully holds up a picture for you to see. Or to be more precise, he is the picture, and the picture is the reality you live in. Trippy.

His voice is still really annoying. It's like the auditory equivalent of trying to read really tiny orange letters in italic...you think he might actually be speaking in your own internal voice, but let's not go toward the 'it's all really in your head' angle right now.

"The Pantaloons really fit everything together! And don't make fun of the shoes...they were a gift...from a lady admirer! You know! If you don't act like you really like the gift, she'll be all upset...even if they are lady shoes...sigh...I literally did just say 'sigh' there, that wasn't expressly in italics...

Hmm, about your question...I suppose you can die! But, it wouldn't be very entertaining right now, having your life juices sucked up by some evil shadow things, who are really no more than trash mobs, you get right down to it...it was meant to be a 'puzzle' encounter, and I suppose I'm a bit over your head now...tch, you've barely taken place in the battle, I'm not sure if you even deserve to get experience from it...

Ahem, aside from dying, you could master the laborious arts of magical alteration until you could phase yourself naturally, and pass into here with a little help from me! ...let me check your sheet...well, you haven't even started leveling that up yet...pity...

Well, I suppose I could offer you a horribly unfair skill test...or maybe a poorly optimized trait swap...it'll be more fun if you can call on ALL the Gods, though...even the bad ones. Especially the bad ones! We're really getting a kick out of you up here, if you don't mind me saying."

He strokes his divine whiskers, pacing back and forth.

"Well, would you mind becoming a Priest? I wouldn't need you to fecking proselytize, you're plenty entertaining all on your own to potential believers. It's mostly come around to obeying the law, and being good. Now, my idea is-being Good isn't the same as being nice, and it's not good to obey laws that are bad-that makes you bad, not good-but, I leave the finer details up to you lot.

I'd also need the occasional...erm...donation of gold...it's a Godly thing, you'd hardly understand...don't worry, it's like a pyramid-you give gold to me, then it trickles down to the blocks, who hold me up at the top. It's really complicated, but just imagine that you're the blocks. Good? Great! Also, you'd have to be funny, and tell jokes now and again. An honest laugh is worth a thousand fervent prayers, let me tell you. Not that I don't mind the occasional adoration, and cheering of my name whilst heavily drunk...I don't have much opposition to your current adventuring party, but I'd keep an eye on Tentacles McGee, hint hint. I wouldn't trust a fox in a henhouse, and you shouldn't trust the fleas on the fox to not bite the hens, right? Well, you'll figure it out on your own, I suppose.

Alright, every contract has it's downsides, so I'll lay them out for you. Becoming my priest means you're like, one of my toes, right? A little wiggly toe on the end of my foot. Now, there's some uglies who wouldn't dare say things to my face, but they'd sure not mind stepping on my toes if they could pass it off as an 'oops' moment. I mean, others God might take a more active interest in you. Destroying or corrupting or in the best cases seducing you, I mean. Well, it's a part of business of being mortal, right! It's all about NOT being destroyed or corrupted, and seduction is meant to be an entirely voluntary process. Hey, you say you're not that attached to life anyway...of course, some Gods will like you better. But, they'll still notice you. Lots of folks go through life not even wanting the Gods to notice them, and honestly, I don't blame them! We can be pretty careless at times. Also, if you make me mad I might...do things to you...not entirely intentionally...I have a pretty calm temper, but if you do something really horrible, like sink a boat of orphans with a fireball, well, I might blast you into a tub of cotton candy! Because by believing in me, I see and feel the things you do. So it's like you're doing those things to me. And the orphans! Fair is fair, right? Right!

Aside from that, there's not much to it. You say yes, sign on the dotted line, and I give you a ceremonial golden helmet as your holy icon-appearance and type of icon optional, you can customize it before you leave, though it HAS to be gold-and I give you a pass to come here oh, a few times a day. That's just for starters. The more you impress me, the better the benefits you get. It's a faith thing, right? If you want to be a conduit of my specific powers, half-gnome, you have to be a darn tooting good one.

Well, what do you say? Sell your soul for a block of cheese? Heh heh heh!

I sure have talked alot, and in the middle of the turn no less...ah, I'm thirsty.

More wine, ma'am..?

Thank you!

... Dot dot dot ...

Also, you don't need to worry, the girl's soul is pure as a tin of raclette suisse classique...er, she's a really good person. She'll be going to a paradise of her own creation once she's ready. Maybe she'll even make her own world some day, who can say? Maybe you will too. Maybe you'll do it together. We can't exactly tell you what sort of adventures you'll have through the big door, but suffice to say...everyone gets what they deserve. And, that's a promise. She's already passed her test. She lived a good life, a life of gracious kindness to even the smallet things, and died without sin-unless you count clumsiness as one, then she'd be damned to an eternal stairway to stumble down, for all eternity...thankfully, I don't.

Worry more about yourself. You've still got your test to pass."

His last line is a bit...menacing...compared to the rest of his words, but the message is pretty clear. Garl is a good boss, but he's got a business to run-the business of promoting good humor, fun, and fighting for universal lawful goodness. Agreeing to his offer will be no less or more than choosing to work for him, with all that entails.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Midturn Spontaneous Godly Weirdness
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2016, 07:22:29 am »

"Errr. I might get seduced? For a block of cheese? And if I've tried to tell jokes I get to spend eternity with a beautiful halfling girl?"

Jao's heart was all a quiver, indeed his soul was too, but there was a nagging doubt. He didn't mind selling his soul for cheese and, indeed and/or love, but this cheese could turn out to be maggot-ridden if... if he turned out actually not to be all that funny.... Bugger. And how was he going to get gold and obey the law? It certainly had never really happened so far and it wasn't an infinite supply of ethereal cheese that was likely to change that. On the other hand, the image of the beautiful halflingette - let's call her Alice, for convenience - tore at him so, and seemed to suggest something. He'd exiled himself from polite, and indeed, shapely, company for much of his life to prove everyone wrong - that he would become a great poet and performing artist (and of course thereby de-exile himself from shapely company). But it had not quite worked out, for various reasons. Once, Jao had even thought he was going to make it - have his big break - upwards of three people once applauded a performance of his in a particularly boisterous bar, but then he slipped in some beer and broke his finger, which prevented him from performing for several weeks, and then the wave of the zeitgeist was gone, and his chance of fame perhaps forever with it.

So.

A Priest of Garl. That sounded... better than a wretched bum on the streets, at least. And gods noticing him? Well, better than no one, eh?

And anyway, what actually stuck more in the back of the throat of his soul was Garl's promise that everyone got what they deserved.

Oh feck.

Jao had worked tirelessly for the joy of others all his life, but he couldn't deny that one time he kicked an oprhan in the ear for throwing a rotten swede into his busking hat. And he was often mercilessly miserable to everyone.

He was going to need help turning all that around.

"Er. So. Gold, jokes, and being good, and obeying the good laws. Or an eternity of damnation and probably having rotting vegetables thrown at me. Mr Garl, sir, I accept. And if a totem of your goodness I shall wear upon my head, please let it be in the form of a rotting swede, to remind me of my worstest moment, that I might never again descend so low. If you please. Sir."

Well crap. That was it then. Jao - no, Father Jao - was going to have to learn some jokes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Midturn Spontaneous Godly Weirdness
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2016, 10:34:48 am »

"A Swede? Like the country? ...let me do a Godgle search...oh, the vegetable. We call them Rutabagas in uh, Heaven.

Anyway, that's one golden Swede for you, my good friend. Welcome to the team!"

He hands you a fancy card in one hand, and a holy glowing golden vegetable in the other.

"The card will be added to your inve...er, you'll just be able to look it up anytime you like, just by thinking it. It gives you a good idea of how well your doing, or not doing."

Quote from: Priestliness Stats
Name: Jao Feng Leng
Holiness Tier: Death Knight (Tier 0)
Goodness Grade: C-
Lawful Inclinations: Maverick Rulebreaker
Strongest Current Sin: Lust
Strongest Current Virtue: Humility
Current Probable Afterlife: Immediately reborn as a Rutabaga, and turned into soup for Orphans

Granted Powers:
3 turns/Day Immaterial Boon (Invitation to Garls Glamourous Gala)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:37:04 am by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23