Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1800132 times)

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.5 - UPDATE
« Reply #6600 on: August 28, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »

Amazing. Just amazing. The next updates look very good, but indeed, this new system is awesome. If you manage to implement it successfully, well, you're one of the best modders. Really. Thanks Meph, I really didn't see it coming!  :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6601 on: August 28, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »

I am prepping all the parts... or delegate to more capable people to prep for me ;)

HTML/CSS wiki explaining everything
C++ dfhack plugins
MP3s/Plugins for Soundsense
Pixelart/Sprites for the graphics
Python GUI for the settings
DF Raws for the actual content
Tons of fancy interaction fun, for previously unseen features

Then I will combine everything. Maximum ETA: 2 weeks from now. I promise an Alpha in 2 weeks from now. I have ported all the easy stuff, buildings, 80% of the reactions, the plants, trees, inorganics, bodies, language files, but havent started on entities, creatures and interactions yet. These require more testing and will be done later. Not on the netbook. Plan is to realease an alpha, give people 1 week to play it. In the meantime I flesh out the new GUI (alpha wont include it) and the manual, add better descriptions, lore, that kind of stuff... in the meantime get the reports about balances, longer testforts and so on, and fix up a beta, again 1 week test-release, and then I want to make the full release, with finished manual and GUI. Total time till MDF2 would be 1 month then. Sounds good ?

Currently adding more content to the manual, and inventing the new magic system. Beastmaster and Druids for elven magic, Demonbound, (Necromancer/Puppeteer?) for Drow, Magmamancer for Dwarf, and Magikus and Witchhunter for human magic. Demonbound and Witchhunters fight btw, you shouldnt have both in the same room.

Beastmasters buff pets, make spiritbears, and are good melee fighters. You can only have one.
Druids are good farmers, buff treants, and sow treant seeds for friendly guard forests. Support unit.
Demonbound are epic-melee fighters. Very hard to obtian, might tantrum/berserk often. Has demonhounds with him.
Necromancers/Puppeteers would be an evil support mage, uses scarecrows/corpses. Unsure about that one.
Magikus is a healer, regen/speed aura, can resurrect dead dwarves.
Witchhunter nerfes undeads around him, melee fighter. Blesses dwarves so they cant turn undead after death.
Magmamancer are epic ranged units, but heavily fickle. Might cause friendly fire, might explode. Turn drakes into fire-drakes as familiars. Can learn better spells, 3 lvls.

All the mages are subject to change, but this is the general idea I have in my mind right now.

About the dfhack stuff: I also want to do custom announcements and pausegame-zoom camera on workshop for very special stuff. For example the mage transfomation, or when the philosophers stone is made, or the guardian of armok. Game pauses, camera shows workshop, textbox shows up and says: "The Guardian of Armok has awoken" or something. Similar to "Praise the miners." I just talked about it with expwnent about it. Can be done.

@Shingy: IF I manage to implement it? I tested it already, it works. :) Thanks to expwnent, not me. I simply had the idea, and he the experience in C++ for it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: August 28, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »

Dwarven Rune = Use it in the Hall of the mountainking for mages, Gargoyle: Spawn location, build your friendly gargoyle guard.
Oh sweet, I've been wondering that for months lol. Thanks

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: August 28, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »

@zenerbufen
I figured out what was causing the color problems.
At some point the pallet settings for "centralwidget" and "mainframe" were edited and this was overriding the system colors.
In QtDesigner you can reset them by clicking the red arrow on the far right of the pallet setting.
It now looks correct with both dark and light themes.

There are still some some alignment issues to work out, the Window Size controls are on top of another button for example.
I don't think I should mess with the alignment stuff until you get a version with the fonts you are going to use embedded in it ready though.

How do you generate the .py file from the .ui file?
I have been making all these changes to the .py file by hand, partly by guesswork.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:01:29 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: August 29, 2012, 01:01:21 am »

@zenerbufen
I figured out what was causing the color problems.
At some point the pallet settings for "centralwidget" and "mainframe" were edited and this was overriding the system colors.

Yes, the 'mainframe' background was supposed to be black, like in the windows version... I should have hardcoded the font color at the same time

In QtDesigner you can reset them by clicking the red arrow on the far right of the pallet setting.
It now looks correct with both dark and light themes.

There are still some some alignment issues to work out, the Window Size controls are on top of another button for example.
Alignment is hard, as windows/linux/and mac interpret things a little differently, you fix the alignment issues on one and it breaks it on another. This is because there is supposed to be more 'padding' around the widgets, but we are trying to cram a bunch of stuff into a smaller space.
I don't think I should mess with the alignment stuff until you get a version with the fonts you are going to use embedded in it ready though.
Agreed, no point wasting time lining everything up now, just to have to do it all again later!

How do you generate the .py file from the .ui file?
I have been making all these changes to the .py file by hand, partly by guesswork.

Two ways:
1)

pyuic4¶

The pyuic4 utility is a command line interface to the uic module. The command has the following syntax:

pyuic4 [options] .ui-file
The full set of command line options is:

-h, --help
A help message is written to stdout.

--version
The version number is written to stdout.

-i <N>, --indent <N>
The Python code is generated using an indentation of <N> spaces. If <N> is 0 then a tab is used. The default is 4.

-o <FILE>, --output <FILE>
The Python code generated is written to the file <FILE>.

-p, --preview
The GUI is created dynamically and displayed. No Python code is generated.

-w, --pyqt3-wrapper
The generated Python code includes a small wrapper that allows the GUI to be used in the same way as it is used in PyQt v3.

-x, --execute
The generated Python code includes a small amount of additional code that creates and displays the GUI when it is executes as a standalone application.

--from-imports
Resource modules are imported using from . import rather than a simple import.

Note that code generated by pyuic4 is not guaranteed to be compatible with earlier versions of PyQt. However, it is guaranteed to be compatible with later versions. If you have no control over the version of PyQt the users of your application are using then you should run pyuic4, or call compileUi(), as part of your installation process. Another alternative would be to distribute the .ui files (perhaps as part of a resource file) and have your application load them dynamically.

2)

from within python, import PyQt4

PyQt4.uic.compileUi(uifile, pyfile[, execute=False[, indent=4[, pyqt3_wrapper=False[, from_imports=False]]]])
Generate a Python module that will create a user interface from a Qt Designer .ui file.

Parameters:   
uifile – the file name or file-like object containing the .ui file.
pyfile – the file-like object to which the generated Python code will be written to.
execute – is optionally set if a small amount of additional code is to be generated that will display the user interface if the code is run as a standalone application.
indent – the optional number of spaces used for indentation in the generated code. If it is zero then a tab character is used instead.
pyqt3_wrapper – is optionally set if a small wrapper is to be generated that allows the generated code to be used as it is by PyQt v3 applications.
from_imports – is optionally set to generate import statements that are relative to '.'. At the moment this only applies to the import of resource modules.

to create a 'file-like object' of a file on disk use:
import io
myfile = io.open('filename.txt', mode='w')

for the mode, 'w'=write and 'r'=read

Meph likes your theme, so if you would like to help could you hardcode everything to match your theme, then send me the .ui file and I'll make sure it works on the mac? The only tweak i would make is to possibly darken mainframe to completly black so the dwarf blends in better, or I guess I could edit that image to have a dark grey instead of black background. Whichever looks better.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:08:52 am by zenerbufen »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: August 29, 2012, 01:07:51 am »

One thing I have an issue with turning on animalmen is that you get a boat load of animalmen civs who can't talk to you. so you end up with several acres of non communicative units that just stand around doing nothing.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:11 am »

I think the puppeteer is a great idea. Necromancer not so much, i can see forts end up with tons of feet, hands, heads crawling (bowling?) around, and beside them being not really useful, they would also hurt fps.

For the puppeteer i have three suggestions:

- The ability to "corrupt" and animate one unchanged ward into a walking evil-aura-ward (makes enemies around it slower)

- Scarecrows, as you have said. Maybe with the possibility to buy "puppeteers scarecrow" from the drow, which (if turned) is more durable and has stronger natural weapons. Im thinking about hooks and/or claws here. Should be quite expensive to encourage people to use the normal scarecrows too. Really good resistance against blunt attacks and normal arrows, but slicing/slashing should easily dispatch them.

-Animated stone decoys. Basically animated statues.... Sorry, i just like the idea of statues beating the carp out of goblins to much :) They are made of stone, so they would be able to have decent blunt attacks and the ability the normal decoys have too: A big resistance against ranged attackers. Therefor, they should be really vulnerable if someone uses a hammer

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: August 29, 2012, 07:45:01 am »

Huh..interesting happenstance in a world I recently generated.

Apparently, my parent civilizations have figured out how to form tools, weapons and what-not out of "FIREBALLS" and their cost upon embarking is "0" points.  They, as assumed, are on fire, generating constant smoke and fire.  Makes caravans from the home civilization a source of constant fires above ground.

Also, there is bloodsteel available for mining within certain soil levels and stable-warpstone is now "Haunting Ashe."

..I just recently upgraded to the newest version.  Am I experiencing new features, or am I experiencing new "features?"

Edit: FUN is abounding!  I embarked on a good biome swamp and it's raining beer!  I can't wait until the first caravan arrives with one of these fireball items aboard  :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:51:21 am by Treason »

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:08 am »

I'd say you duplicated your raws. I didn't get this problem but it's usually raws duplication, yes.

Meph: Well, thanks to him for creating this (I didn't think it was possible) and to you for using it!

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: August 29, 2012, 08:32:34 am »

to create a 'file-like object' of a file on disk use:
import io
myfile = io.open('filename.txt', mode='w')

for the mode, 'w'=write and 'r'=read
That's what I was missing, I thought it wanted a output file name not a open file descriptor.
I don't have pyuic4 with what I have installed.

Meph likes your theme, so if you would like to help could you hardcode everything to match your theme, then send me the .ui file and I'll make sure it works on the mac? The only tweak i would make is to possibly darken mainframe to completly black so the dwarf blends in better, or I guess I could edit that image to have a dark grey instead of black background. Whichever looks better.
I am not sure if I can do that exactly, there are some shading images involved.
I will look into it and see if I can figure out how to do that.
Otherwise it will be close but the edges of the buttons won't have the gradient.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

MoreAxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:25 am »

Ran the settings program on Windows (XP). It has certain, uh, issues.

It appears that fixing most of the font-related issues involves changing the settings manually. I have managed to get the black background, but I'm not sure about the buttons.

edit:
I think the most reliable way to get the same look across all platforms would be using Qt stylesheets. Though it might require some work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:04:38 am by MoreAxes »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: August 29, 2012, 11:04:09 am »

^ There are similar issues on Linux.
The problem comes from the font used not being on many peoples systems and only some of the colors being hardcoded.
We are going to fix it by embedding the font in the program so you don't need to have it and I think by making all the colors hardcoded.
We need to get the font embedding done before we do anything else since the font affects the alignment and size of parts of the gui.
Sigtext

MoreAxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:48 am »

Well then, the next challenge after embedding seems to be theme consistency. We could use a word from Meph about which theme he prefers (tbh the dark one looks way cooler, but I don't think I need to say this).

edit:
Just noticed that the asterisk annotations should be the other way around :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:12:29 am by MoreAxes »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: August 29, 2012, 11:17:06 am »

Meph has already spoken.
@zenerbufen: I do like the white text on black ground, I did chose the same style for the manual after all. As long as people can read it.
I know how to hardcode the colors to match my dark screenshot already.
I am looking into how to hardcode the gradient effect my buttons have while I wait for zenerbufen to embed the font.

Your right the asterisks are backwards, I did not notice that.
Sigtext

MoreAxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: August 29, 2012, 11:30:00 am »

Guess I should have been reading more carefully.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 749