Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1800077 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #9240 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:32 am »

is it possible to stockpile it? it just stays inside my kitchen.. just so i can relocated it to church/etc
It should be getting taken to the food stockpile I think.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: February 20, 2013, 02:31:30 pm »

Aha, I see, that makes sense.  But, making them smaller would make them much weaker in combat too.

As I understand how DF physics works, if everything were reduced in size by the same proportion then they would be as dangerous to each other as before, but they'd just provide fewer resources upon death.

Mind you, the next DF version looks to include jumping and climbing among other things, so perhaps reducing the weight of all animals might throw the balance of that off kilter...

If you're playing Orcs and getting the majority of your meat from livestock, you aren't attracting big enough sieges ;)

I'll put more bait out next time I play as them.

In every game I've played since 1.9.5 (the first version I tried a wool industry in) I've not been able to spin the ewe wool and ram wool I've produced by shearing.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?  The way I set up my industries is to shear the sheep in the farmer's workshop, the wool then gets deposited in the corpse stockpile and whenever I try to spin thread, the game says it cannot find the reagent.

Anyone have any success with a wool industry in Masterwork?

fasquardon

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: February 20, 2013, 03:01:39 pm »

If you start changing the size of sentients too then lots of other things would be thrown off kilter too (weapons would become un-wieldable, poisons are diluted by body size, bins and blocks would be too huge to carry, too many dwarf-skull totems would fit in a minecart).  If we change *all* animals but not sentients, then there's that much less danger to your dwarves from the wilds.  If you only want to change domestic animal, there are already smaller options: you could basically accomplish the same by training dogs instead of mastiffs/direwolves (or challenging yourself to play without butchering non-grazers).

It would be nice if carnivore pets had to be fed periodically, but that's something Toady would have to change.

ed.  I definitely have thought that I was running a wool industry, but now that you mention it I'm not 100% sure.  I'll try to remember to check more carefully when I have a chance.

blood pots filled with extracted blood are still being stored in my still and are not being placed into a stockpile - anyone know which stockpile they go in - doesn't seem to be food

All the blood pots in my fort are still in the kitchens too.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:55:14 pm by smakemupagus »

halox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: February 20, 2013, 03:27:09 pm »

blood pots filled with extracted blood are still being stored in my still and are not being placed into a stockpile - anyone know which stockpile they go in - doesn't seem to be food

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #9244 on: February 20, 2013, 03:55:47 pm »

In every game I've played since 1.9.5 (the first version I tried a wool industry in) I've not been able to spin the ewe wool and ram wool I've produced by shearing.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?  The way I set up my industries is to shear the sheep in the farmer's workshop, the wool then gets deposited in the corpse stockpile and whenever I try to spin thread, the game says it cannot find the reagent.

Anyone have any success with a wool industry in Masterwork?

fasquardon

Most immediate thought is whether you have burrows set up or not.  I was so frustrated with the Steel Armor Cast at the warbeast kennel because I didn't know exactly how many reagents I needed.  So I built 20 steel mechanisms, 20 steel daggers, 20 steel chains, and had over 100 steel bars lying around.  Still couldn't make the blasted thing.  Then I updated my 'safe' burrow, and it worked. 

Even if you are not restricting civs to burrows, if you have a workshop that is inside a burrow, and there are items it wants outside of that burrow, it will NOT access them.  As far as the workshop is concerned those items don't exist.  So my guess is that your farmers workshops are outside, where the sheep are, and your loom is inside, where its safe. 

Just a guess.!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: February 20, 2013, 04:38:51 pm »

Would you like some pepper on your direwolf soup sir?
Post of the week.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

halox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: February 20, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »

when using workshop profiles to select dwarves for making into mages etc or even the scriptorium is there a faster way to find your dwarf? what method do you guys use scrolling through 200 names looking for a few guys is kinda rough

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9247 on: February 20, 2013, 06:07:05 pm »

I put the workshops in a room, order a dwarf inside and lock the door. Done.

Noted down the blood-stockpiling an testing wool. Sorry guys, not time atm, seriously, I am not even here. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: February 20, 2013, 07:02:05 pm »

when using workshop profiles to select dwarves for making into mages etc or even the scriptorium is there a faster way to find your dwarf? what method do you guys use scrolling through 200 names looking for a few guys is kinda rough

Simple solution you could use would be to custom nickname the dwarves you want "AAA01","AAA02" etc, load up the workshop profile, open your DFHack, type "Sort-units name", go back to the list and there are your dwarves.
You could then remove the custom nicknames if you want.
Hope that helps!

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: February 21, 2013, 12:01:00 am »

I'm about 3 years into a fort, haven't had too much as far as sieges go (one very weak orc siege)  Not much thievery or problems.  Then BAM, 7 seperate ambushes pop up with a total of 85 units.  I have a population of about 160, and only 30 of my guys are actively training/equipped.

We got slaughtered.  Is this normal?  Do I need more military/population ratio?  The boys are all clad in at least full iron, most have iridium edge weapons, and im outfitting steel and welded mithril replacement suits, but its not enough! 

Edit:
Upon reviewing my dwarves more closely in therapist, it seems that 20/30 of them were only level 1-3 in fighter dodger, and level 1-2 in armor user/shield user.  Most have 3-5 in their preferred weapons.  Am I just too slow to get the library training system going?  Do I need to rush it?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:37 am »

You definitely could have better skills than that on your military dwarves via some kind of training, either library or conventional, but what you described should be enough to survive.  What kind of ambushers were they?  Did you just rush all your guys out and fight in the field, or do something else?

ed.  How did you manage to have so much iridium?!  that is excellent
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:15:19 am by smakemupagus »

halox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: February 21, 2013, 12:19:47 am »

my scriptorium is acting rather wonky - sometimes its all redded out other times i can create stuff without problems.. i made sure not to put it in a burrow and its next to my stockpile for testing purposes.. i'll make tons of ink/books etc however then its redded out at the library itself for a period of time - it seems very hit or miss and i have to micro it to make it work anyone know a fix? its bouncing between red/white and all mats are avail in abundance next to it

edit - never mind
it seems i have some rogue bin carrying dorfs... frolicking around... going to tryy to make a special stockpile prolly
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:39:36 am by halox »

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: February 21, 2013, 12:30:00 am »

You definitely could have better skills than that on your military dwarves via some kind of training, either library or conventional, but what you described should be enough to survive.  What kind of ambushers were they?  Did you just rush all your guys out and fight in the field, or do something else?

ed.  How did you manage to have so much iridium?!  that is excellent

I just smelt everything.  Constantly.  I have a lot of stuff that I don't know what to do with yet.  I realized I had about 50 wafers of iridum and figured I might as well make some daggers/short swords/long swords and see who wanted them.  Naturally they all did. 

The ambushers were a mix, I finished playing through it and it was brutal.  There were some goblin flagellents, which are weak and the sworddwarves loved those, they were chopping off arms and legs and sending them in arcs.  That part reminded me of monty python and the black knight.  But then there were the ones riding on voracious cave crawlers, and then for some reason prototype war golems appeared *inside* my fort and ambushed me.  They all ran away after the only decently skilled squad started killing them.

I think my mistake was sending the initial defense to the outdoor trade depot, trying to keep the drows alive.  After that failed I just stationed inside the fort and did a lot better.

Overall a good learning experience I guess, but man its frustrating seeing all that chaos and blood and BLAH everywhere.  It was so neat and pretty.  Now its ugly.

halox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:13 am »

@arumba

i find that in order for melee fighters to be successful/survive and *not* take casualties you need at least steel armor and have a decent dodge/shield trained up... what i used to do *before collosium* :D .. was make a squad of 10 guys really early to start training.. like first year or so?.. then go into military screen and make 5 orders so they stack.. set to train 2 minimum x 5, that way you essentially break your guys up into squads of 2 but they're all part of one squad - what this will do is it will encourage sparring amongst them they'll start sparring alot!! which will raise their dodge/shield then they can survive quite easy. 

a simpler solution for defending your fort early though and this is what i usually do is make an  outside wall surrounding your stairs down or what not.. then make 4 points on it and create a route -.. make rock crossbows, quivers and rock bolts load up 10 markdorfs and set them on partrol in the order screen they'll run a little radar esque drill around your wall and bolt anything that comes close this is enough to deter sieges in most cases while you work on getting your melees trained up..

if you make it to this point *setting up your ranged* etc get a sustainable fort.. then just build a colissium idiodwarf proof it - and put your melees inside then spawn a bronze colossus - nuff said :D

i've been in your situation where i figure my infantry can handle it - however i've realized they most often cant handle it... make sure they can block and evade and they will live - otherwise they'll get shredded quite easily.  hope you found something useful here :D

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:52 am »

How do you tell your marksdwarves to use rocktip and gemtip bolts these days? I remember they used to be a separate class of ammo, but I can't see one any more.
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 749