Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 133163 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Currently seeking players! (2/5)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »

Don't worry, I'm good with being on the waitlist. I just wanted to make sure I got a spot.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:47 pm »

I'll sign up for the waitlist.
Name: Zerusth
Race: Limerete
Appearance: He is bald, but has a dark beard and mustache. He is a lean man, built from years climbing the masts of many ships. He commonly wears light clothing made for the sea.
Profession: Sailing Master: He'd use his magic to ensure, and facilitate a safe journey.
Magical Affinity: Wind and Water
Favoured Weapon: Dirk
Short Backstory: Born to a successful merchant, Zerusth, was sent to a school for manipulating the weather at an early age. Graduating shortly before reaching adulthood, he got a position on his father's ship as a sail mater's apprentice. After a few years at sea his mentor died fending off a pirate attack, and Zerusth took his position. A couple years pass by, and right before the Ten-Day-Night his ship hit a storm he could not control and he was set adrift. On day four of the catastrophe he found himself in Shas Isa where he worked as a bouncer to wait out the night.
Word

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:32 pm »

So this "one guy" who figured out steel...is he marketing it as "god metal" yet? :P
Also would steel share the magesplodingness of iron?
Magesplodingness is a word.
Its right up there in the Bay12ionary next to the verb Derm.

Also Bay12ionary doesn't set off the red underline....YEAH.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 03:32:55 pm »

Since the Southlanders are fairly heavily based on the Xhosa who use the letters q, c and x, I figured I'd just roll with whatever letters I wanted. Admittedly, I was using some old notes for the world-building. Their name is slightly better in the newer version, but I can't remember it offhand.
It's not the letters that's the problem, it's the lack of vowels. A u would do wonders to that name.

The apostrophes are to denote glottal stops, exactly as you think. Zue'qki'ptar is three words. Or one word in three parts. The Southland concepts are a bit odd. The 'qk' is a click that's somewhere between a 'qu' sound and a 'k' sound. The letter 'x' would have been a better representation, but I named the place before I brushed up on my Xhosa.
Quote from: OP
From the land of Zue’qki’Ptar (Their name has a few clicks in it!)
Emphasis mine.

And ten days without sunlight... Well, again, fantasy. Food is currently scarce, small plants are pretty much dead, everyone is terrified and the animals are utterly confused. The world's weather patterns are screwed to hell and everything is ice for pretty much as far as the eye can see, although the lowlands are significantly better off, having less water around to ice everything to shit. The world is slowly returning to normal and will do so throughout your adventure. Probably faster than if it happened in real life, and the damage is to a lesser extent, but then again this world has Gods and Goddesses that take active part in what goes down and can pacify the damage to an extent.
Good enough, I suppose. Trees and other large plants would still be alive, obviously.

So this "one guy" who figured out steel...is he marketing it as "god metal" yet? :P
Also Bay12ionary doesn't set off the red underline....YEAH.
It does for me.
And don't be insane--there are lots of other words between "derm" and "magesplodingness".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »

Yes, it does. Steel is still 90-odd percent iron, after all. Hell if you're unlucky blood can set it off! So it's not because of iron's magnetic properties.

And the one guy who figured it out... He couldn't get his forge hot enough to work it and figured he must have destroyed the iron. It was a freak accident that led to the creation of the brittle (and frankly crappy) alloy he produced; since it couldn't be worked and wasn't much better than iron, he tossed it out.

In a few hundred years or so when a young Yagalian girl discovers it, he's going to feel right stupid. Or dead. Probably dead. But he'd feel stupid if he was still alive.

The apostrophes are to denote glottal stops, exactly as you think. Zue'qki'ptar is three words. Or one word in three parts. The Southland concepts are a bit odd. The 'qk' is a click that's somewhere between a 'qu' sound and a 'k' sound. The letter 'x' would have been a better representation, but I named the place before I brushed up on my Xhosa.
Quote from: OP
From the land of Zue’qki’Ptar (Their name has a few clicks in it!)
Emphasis mine.

Yeah, yeah, I know. There's only one major click and that's the 'qk'. The 'pt' has a silent-ish 'p' sound that's really more of a mental note to me to look up the correct letter for that particular sound. It's a sucking of the tongue against the roof of your mouth and pulling it down sharply. It's almost a 'ts' sound but not at all at the same time.

But does the pronunciation really matter? You know it's a strange as hell word and you'll probably never hear it spoken aloud. At the time that I was making the name up, I wanted something visually distinct from nearly any fantasy-land country I'd ever heard of, and that name which makes a mockery of syllables seemed like a good starting point.

Although if you must know, Zue'qki'Ptar's local god figure is the much more reasonably-named Nyami, based on the Tongan river spirit of the same name. Well, the real one is called Nyami Nyami to be exact, but minor details. (Yes I know Tonga =/= Xhosa. It's the same as why Yagal is actually a blend of Germany and Russia; I hate copy-paste culture)

Incidentally, Cylenia is actually fairly Scottish (minus the accent), with a dose or two of Swiss thrown into the mix. Limero is based on a couple of Indonesian countries, although there's a dash of Imperial China tossed in for good measure.

Incidentally incidentally, my ipad keeps autocorrecting "the" into "hither". I haven't the faintest clue why.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:59:56 pm by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 04:44:24 pm »

Eh, once my computer autocorrected 'chunky salsa' into 'chipmunk salad' so I'm not that surprised really.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 05:05:29 pm »

Eh, once my computer autocorrected 'chunky salsa' into 'chipmunk salad' so I'm not that surprised really.
If it autocorrects "autocorrect" into "not at all correct" its probably right.

Also since Limerites are apparently the "Chinese-y" race, then lets assume Lao Thuun was raised by Limerite monks in that temple where he was conveniently abandoned.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:09:58 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:04 pm »

Spoiler: Adio Freyor (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:05:36 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 07:04:34 pm »

Yes, it does. Steel is still 90-odd percent iron, after all. Hell if you're unlucky blood can set it off! So it's not because of iron's magnetic properties.
...Blood screws with magic...Blood...how have all the mages not kasploded?

Incidentally incidentally, my ipad keeps autocorrecting "the" into "hither". I haven't the faintest clue why.
((Autocorrect is not hither best or most predictable technology.))

((Artemis, you need to close spoilers. It's kinda odd, since you don't need to close quote, but spoilers don't act the way it seems they should.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Currently seeking players! (8/5)
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 12:43:00 am »

Not their own blood. I dunno why. And the blood thing is not a definite, either. The more sheer magical power you have on tap, the less iron it takes to set you off. Most mages don't get to that level and would have to be absolutely soaked in blood (like, bathing in it) to go boom.

Hrm. We have a lot of players. I probably should have changed the topic name before going to bed... Oops.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:11:12 am by Niccolo »
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 04:26:37 am »

I decided to just go in order of posting, since the initial order gave us a nice mix. In the next few hours I'll put together the abilities/inventory for each person and post up Turn Zero. It might take some time since this is my first time doing it, but I'll go as quickly as I can without sacrificing quality too much.

GWG, does your character actually use magic? You mention mediocre talents, but I'm not sure how mediocre they are.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:26:07 am by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 07:40:09 am »

I'm guessing this is more because there are trace amounts of iron in blood.

Although I thought that Iron in nutrition was different then the metal.
Could be totally wrong bout that though.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:44 am »

At the core of it, the iron in food is exactly the same as iron in your car. One's just atomic and the other is an ion. The physical and chemical properties are different (Not the least of which is a differing magnetic property...) but they're still iron nuclei. Yay science!
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:45 am »

GWG, does your character actually use magic? You mention mediocre talents, but I'm not sure how mediocre they are.
He's no mystical master, but yes.

Nope, same element. In fact, if we stripped away the hemoglobin, you'd be left with a molecule very similar to rust.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: pre-starting! (8/5)
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:44 am »

I see.

So basically the more magical you are the more iron hates you?

And as for the "mages own blood doesn't kersplode them" does that mean that they have, as iron is present in their body at all times, developed something of a resistance to iron? Obviously not enough to stop the increasing splodeyness, but enough to resist small amounts?

Or is it just that the iron inside them "attunes" to them or something? If this is the case could a mage then "attune" large amounts of iron, using their own body as some sort of forge thing?

Also is magic in this setting something you are born with, or something anyone can learn?
Basically is this Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls type?

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74