Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183120 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1485 on: March 03, 2016, 02:09:34 pm »

SilverClawShift Archives. Possibly my favorite of any out there if you haven't read it already. (Small note, the third story was never actually finished, but the first two are glorious and some of the little short stories are fun too).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 03, 2016, 02:20:16 pm »

Noh. Read if you want to blaw like a newborn.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 03, 2016, 02:28:45 pm »

my personal favorite, "Ragin' Reggie" Reginald Dempsey. A man, his fists, and hordes of zombies.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 03, 2016, 03:01:52 pm »

Since F.A.T.A.L. was mentioned, read this with your ears.

I don't know what personal pronoun to use in this case. Anyway, this person who doesn't talk about RPGs much has the best overview for the worst RPG ever elsewhere on the channel.

SilverClawShift Archives.

That's a name I haven't heard in many moons. Do go read this if you haven't.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:24:24 pm by Mephisto »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 03, 2016, 03:46:00 pm »

my personal favorite, "Ragin' Reggie" Reginald Dempsey. A man, his fists, and hordes of zombies.
This is good shit and I highly recommend it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 03, 2016, 04:09:48 pm »

Since it's come up, I'll mention Demigods Story. I found that in the comments section of the Godbound Kickstarter (which I've backed), given as an example of the sort of story that game could emulate.

An explanation of the game: it's basically like Exalted or the Immortal part of BECMI, but relatively simple rules that make it possible to challenge such high-level characters. It's by the guy who made Stars Without Number, and, similar to that game, there will be a free version that has all the rules you need to play and a deluxe version (which is what the Kickstarter provides) with 40 pages of extra optional content. These include things that help people wanting to add more of an Exalted feel to their game, such as Godwalkers (basically Warstriders, but non-copyright infringing), divine martial arts, and rules for theming characters as various Exalted types.

Here's the link to the beta files, which the author has explicitly allowed backers to share.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 03, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »

Are there any good tabletop stories I can read? I read All Guardsmen Party which was based on Dark Heresy and I enjoyed it a lot.

Old Man Henderson  is a good read...
Ah, I forgot about that one. I read it a long time ago, months before I found AGP. It was a good read.

But wow, that's a lot of stories. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

On a semi-related note, I'd like to ask about two games: Exalted and Pathfinder. I don't know the first things about them regarding the fluff. I looked into them and found giant walls of text.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 03, 2016, 09:42:57 pm »

Tons of fluff for Pathfinder. Most of it focused on a half of a continent, in an area called the Inner Sea. There's lots of other areas of the world that aren't really touched on, and even alien planets. Literally thousands of years of history made up.

All you really need to know are the core races and core deities. The races are Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings, Half-Orcs and -Elves. They are the most populous races, with Humans being the forerunner by far. The world is a clusterfuck of mini-factions, guilds, and nations.

It's recovering after a series of apocalyptic events, including a number of massive fuck-off hurricanes larger than most countries, with one permanent one to serve as a momento for everyone, called the Eye of Abendego.

An alien capital ship crashing into the world and staying mostly intact after the crash, with its internal factories still churning out robotic murder machines and sapient Androids, which are playable races, and somehow have a soul because nanomachines, son.

And lets not forget the literal hole to the Abyss in the northern part of the world, now known as the Worldwound, that continually spouts out demons.

Also, the patron God of humanity, Aroden, may or may not have died. He's not answering any prayers, and has since been replaced by a Paladin of his. Who ascended to deity status the same way he did. I'm sure that will bode well in the future. Actually, a few mortals stole his idea. There are many ascended mortals, from a Monk who meditated until he became too swole for this world, to a pirate-queen who got bored with normal targets, and started swashbuckling her way through the different planes instead, reaching deific powers along the way.

There's more, but these come to mind as the more major events.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:45:50 pm by BlackFlyme »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 03, 2016, 10:05:01 pm »

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:25:24 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: March 03, 2016, 10:07:58 pm »

Doesn't allow hotlinking, here's the link:
https://1d4chan.org/images/e/e7/PathfinderExplained.jpg
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:43 pm »

That's wierd; it works for me. Either way, fixed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 04, 2016, 12:33:26 am »

This is good shit and I highly recommend it.
I just reached Part 2, and I agree! Quite entertaining. :)

Edit:
SilverClawShift Archives. Possibly my favorite of any out there if you haven't read it already. (Small note, the third story was never actually finished, but the first two are glorious and some of the little short stories are fun too).
Hm... reading this now, and I do believe I've read it before. Not sure if I read the whole thing, though, so I guess I'll read on and find out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:09:23 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 04, 2016, 02:30:37 am »

Since it's come up, I'll mention Demigods Story. I found that in the comments section of the Godbound Kickstarter (which I've backed), given as an example of the sort of story that game could emulate.

An explanation of the game: it's basically like Exalted or the Immortal part of BECMI, but relatively simple rules that make it possible to challenge such high-level characters. It's by the guy who made Stars Without Number, and, similar to that game, there will be a free version that has all the rules you need to play and a deluxe version (which is what the Kickstarter provides) with 40 pages of extra optional content. These include things that help people wanting to add more of an Exalted feel to their game, such as Godwalkers (basically Warstriders, but non-copyright infringing), divine martial arts, and rules for theming characters as various Exalted types.

Here's the link to the beta files, which the author has explicitly allowed backers to share.
Cheers, that was a fine story and one I'd not read before. I'll keep an eye on this new game coming out; before I get more into it, what's it like mechanically?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 04, 2016, 05:59:39 am »

Finished reading Tale of an Industrious Rogue. A good story with a good ending.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 04, 2016, 07:45:00 am »

It could be turned into a novel and be five times better than most fantasy nowadays.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 131