Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183121 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1500 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:10 am »

It's a webcomic instead of writing, but Darken Comic was heavily based on an evil-party campaign the author actually played in.
First page: http://darkencomic.com/?webcomic_post=20031216

It's the author who makes Widdershins now (the art improves a lot, of course).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 04, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »

Since it's come up, I'll mention Demigods Story. I found that in the comments section of the Godbound Kickstarter (which I've backed), given as an example of the sort of story that game could emulate.

An explanation of the game: it's basically like Exalted or the Immortal part of BECMI, but relatively simple rules that make it possible to challenge such high-level characters. It's by the guy who made Stars Without Number, and, similar to that game, there will be a free version that has all the rules you need to play and a deluxe version (which is what the Kickstarter provides) with 40 pages of extra optional content. These include things that help people wanting to add more of an Exalted feel to their game, such as Godwalkers (basically Warstriders, but non-copyright infringing), divine martial arts, and rules for theming characters as various Exalted types.

Here's the link to the beta files, which the author has explicitly allowed backers to share.
Cheers, that was a fine story and one I'd not read before. I'll keep an eye on this new game coming out; before I get more into it, what's it like mechanically?
The base rules are pretty much a classless version of D&D Basic Set with three types of saves like the kind introduced in 3.5, but renamed (so Fortitude is Hardiness, Reflex is Evasion, and Will is Spirit).

Though that's just the basic framework of the system, and can easily be replaced. The real meat is in the Gift system, in which you gain a number of powers from what is basically your godly domains, and these are either constant benefits or require you to Commit Effort. This means you must temporarily spend a point of Effort (a resource pool you gain more of as you level up) to gain the effect of a Gift, and you can't use that Effort point again until you reclaim it. Generally you can reclaim Effort at any time, which ends the effect, but, if the Gift says, "Commit Effort for the scene" or "Commit Effort for the day", you can't reclaim it until then, even if the effect is much shorter than that.

Then there's the Influence and Dominion system, which are used to change Facts (kind of like Fate system Aspects) about the world, with more points required depending on the size of the change (the table starts at Willage level and ends at Realm level, or "the whole world") and a multiplier for the plausibility of the change. Influence is much like Effort, a finite but reusable resource (which, like Effort, increases as you level up) which only has effect so long as it's committed. Dominion can be used for more permanent change, though it gets used up when spent, but it's much more renewable, as it's gained like experience points (and, in fact, a certain amount of Dominion must be spent to level up) or from the worship of followers.

Also, like in one of the creator's other games, Scarlet Heroes, while enemies do damage to the players' hitpoints, against anything other than other Godbound, players will do damage directly to hit dice. And, once a round, players can roll something called a Fray Dice, which can be used to deal extra damage against foes with less hit dice than the players. To keep things for going overboard, even though normal D&D damage dice are used, the amount of damage is actually less because it's compared to a chart that goes from 0-4 for each dice rolled, unless, in the case of some Gifts, the damage is meant to be read straight (in other words, don't use the chart and just read what the dice says).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 05, 2016, 01:03:04 am »

So in short, a D&D knock-off with bells and whistles? A shame that solid concepts are limited that way, but probably worth keeping an eye on nonetheless.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 05, 2016, 12:13:39 pm »

So in short, a D&D knock-off with bells and whistles? A shame that solid concepts are limited that way, but probably worth keeping an eye on nonetheless.
Yeah, the author likes to make things D&D-based so that they're easily compatible with other stuff (so you can easily use monsters from other games without having to convert them or incorporate these demigods or Gifts or artifacts into a regular D&D game).

Also, certain subsystems are so divorced from the base rules that you can use them with other games; especially the faction rules are such that you could use them even in games that have nothing to do with demigods.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1504 on: March 05, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »

It's a webcomic instead of writing, but Darken Comic was heavily based on an evil-party campaign the author actually played in.
First page: http://darkencomic.com/?webcomic_post=20031216

It's the author who makes Widdershins now (the art improves a lot, of course).

Read through this this morning. That was really excellent. I've rarely been so invested in characters, which is impressive given the whole 'evil' thing. Also Lyam is amazing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 05, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »

So, how about them shadows over innistrad?

So far, we've got Tamiyo's Journal , which looks like a nice commander card. Turn spare mana into cards, or if you don't have any tutoring? Yes please.

We've also got literally a shard of glass. I'm not even joking.

Also some sweet 1W removal that that kills everything with the same name and puts a clue token onto the battlefield for every dude it kills.

Evil Avacyn is here!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:34:42 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 05, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »

So there's about 3 days left on the Pathfinder Humble Bundle. I've been wanting to get into tabletop DnD-likes but the cost of getting starting materials was always a deterrent. Being able to (legally) get up to $354 worth of PDFs of game books for as much as $25 (if I also want the physical  box set) seems a good deal.

However, I'd prefer physical copies over PDFs, and I've read that most of the materials can be found for free for reference on http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

I suppose I could just print out the PDFs if I needed them in physical copies, but that could cost a decent amount of ink and paper, depending on book lengths.

Opinions? Is Pathfinder a good choice of DnD-like rpg game?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 05, 2016, 08:44:04 pm »

It's basically modified dnd 3.5, with all the issues that entails - poor balance and six metric tons of bloat.
That said, you can pretty much make whatever you want as a character, due to aforementioned bloat giving your infinite options.

If you're into powergaming you can make pretty broken characters, should you wish.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 05, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »

It's basically modified dnd 3.5, with all the issues that entails - poor balance and six metric tons of bloat.
That said, you can pretty much make whatever you want as a character, due to aforementioned bloat giving your infinite options.

If you're into powergaming you can make pretty broken characters, should you wish.
I'm a total newbie, so I'm not familiar with powergaming, aside from what I've read online making it seem really boring. I do like the idea of making absurd crazy creative and interesting characters. Sir Bearington was one of the primary things that made me more receptive to the idea of playing tabletop rpgs.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 05, 2016, 09:33:06 pm »

I'm... uncertain Sir Bearington is anything other than a particularly amusing greentext, to be honest. I wouldn't say the rules actually support it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 05, 2016, 09:51:37 pm »

I'm... uncertain Sir Bearington is anything other than a particularly amusing greentext, to be honest. I wouldn't say the rules actually support it.
Just an example. The idea is that it made me realize tabletop rpg games were more than just rolling dice and getting loot.

And from what I've read online, rules can tend to be handwaved, depending on the players in the group.

Adding to the earlier discussion/link dump on rpg stories. Shoggy the Seldom Dog.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 05, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »

Rule 0 is underrated.
A decent DM tells a good story.
A good DM tells a good story while following the rules.
A great DM works with the players to form a gestalt reality.  (my DM is great)
A poor DM just follows the rules and is going nowhere.
A bad DM is going somewhere regardless of what the players do.
A magical DM is bringing the players to their magical realm.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 05, 2016, 10:06:56 pm »

*writes down notes*
Magical DM...LSD...in...brownies. Check.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 05, 2016, 10:13:32 pm »

Noh. Read if you want to blaw like a newborn.
I liked that idea, I just might steal it! I don't usually do the "you find a room full of now-orphaned goblin children" trope, but this one seems pretty good.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: March 06, 2016, 07:23:51 am »

*writes down notes*
Magical DM...LSD...in...brownies. Check.
You know, I think that would make for a most enjoyable gaming session, honestly.
As long as the DM was at least somewhat sober. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 131