Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183121 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1545 on: March 10, 2016, 10:14:01 pm »

That sounds exactly like 3.5e, and essentially like WoD.  Assuming you're not listing the long list of actions that can only be attempted in a grapple.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 10, 2016, 10:14:18 pm »

Honestly I don't think the 3.5 grappling rules are actually that complex... :/ It's... Er A couple of checks and then you have a list of actions you can do? Once you get used to it it's really not any harder then normal combat.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 10, 2016, 10:21:52 pm »

I was being facetious. GURPS books are actually pretty amazing for whatever topic they happen to be about. You want grappling? That's about two pages in one of the basic books. You want something more in-depth with research put into how it's done in the real world (you're a DF player, for instance, who enjoys wrestling people to the ground before locking and then breaking joints)? That's this 56-page ebook, over half of which is actually additional advantages and disadvantages (things added to characters during generation), as well as some text on new ways to apply things in the basic set.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 10, 2016, 11:25:49 pm »

Browsing the Pathfinder Core rulebook from the Humble Bundle.

Apparently druids can have a shark for an animal companion. What.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 10, 2016, 11:27:53 pm »

Yeah that's in 3.5e too.  "If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment"
Other options:  Porpoise, squid.  Probably other stuff at higher levels.

Edit:  Technically different, but paladin with shark mount: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0479.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:29:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 11, 2016, 12:02:01 am »

I kinda want to see if a shark companion could work in a campaign that isn't "wholly or partly in an aquatic environment".

I guess there's spells that could be used so the shark could breathe air and levitate, that'd solve the two most glaring problems for a shark out of water. Maybe an enchanted amulet item.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 11, 2016, 12:35:34 am »

Polymorph it into something else, so it's the soul of a shark in something less fierce.  Think of it as a reverse Seldom Dog.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 11, 2016, 12:41:17 am »

I vote Mutants and Masterminds for best grapple rules.

Characters with super strength or elasticity or the like have grapple modifiers so massive it may as well be "Grapple Modifier: +Yes"

Like I think the sample Brick character has like over +20 or so.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 11, 2016, 12:46:22 am »

Land Sharks have been a thing in D&D since the Gygax days.

If we're optimizing it:

Druid Animal Companion: Shark
Spells: Anthropomorphic Animal + Permanency (Int = 3, land speed, retains bite attack)
Equipment: Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone (survive without air)

Total: 25,500 gp to run around with a shark-man animal companion that bites stuff.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 11, 2016, 01:02:38 am »

Land Sharks have been a thing in D&D since the Gygax days.

If we're optimizing it:

Druid Animal Companion: Shark
Spells: Anthropomorphic Animal + Permanency (Int = 3, land speed, retains bite attack)
Equipment: Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone (survive without air)

Total: 25,500 gp to run around with a shark-man animal companion that bites stuff.

Sorry but I've thought about this. You only need two spells: Aboleth Lung and Sky Swim. Neither can be permanent, but the magic items aren't (too) expensive.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 11, 2016, 02:04:38 am »

Does anyone have a nice, simple, yet fully featured Insanity system? Any game should work; I just need a base.
E: For that matter, any sort of corruption system would work just as well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:11:17 am by My Name is Immaterial »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:23 am »

Pfft, get your shark animal companion and take it with you on land simply by coercing the oafish plebs that call themselves your party members into building a huge wheeled tank for it. Threaten to, I don't know, summon a tree in their airways if they don't do as you say.
Heh, stupid city-dwellers, they'd fall for anything. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:59 am »

Does anyone have a nice, simple, yet fully featured Insanity system? Any game should work; I just need a base.
E: For that matter, any sort of corruption system would work just as well.
Insanity in games tend to be treated as a Health Pool 2, except you're given role playing weights when you reach thresholds inside of it.

Call of Cthulu is the grand daddy, but also arguably the most zany, as the type of thing you can get, are genetic, or environmental and dont have to relate to what caused you to become stressed.

Black Night Agents has a sanity system, that more grounded but its still just a Health Pool 2.

Eclipse Phase has a sanity system, that seems to be pretty heavily influence by CoC. Though that game lets you heal physical damage pretty quickly with crazy nano medicine or changing physical body, and its mental stress that really lingers.

The stand alone Delta Green system has a pretty nifty Stress System. It still treats it as Health Pool 2, with rp weights when you reach threshold however, its ties it in with your Relationships. You can use your relationships to soak stress damage, which can then lead you to becoming more detached from them. Representing your withdraw from your humanity. And when you take a certain category of Stress you can become deaden to it, but you no longer gain stress from it.

Red Markets, at least to the alpha I am listening to, it stress system is pretty neat. When you're out on a mission and you suffer a break from Stress, you get to pick 3 option. Catatonic, Flight or Fight. And each time you break with Stress you have to pick one, but a different one and I think if you exhaust them, you're insane, I think?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 11, 2016, 10:15:16 am »

As for corruption, World of Darkness does that rather centrally.
Basically if you do a bad thing (even if you're forced or coerced) you have to roll a degeneration check.  If you *fail* the check, you rationalize what you did, and your moral character erodes.  If you pass the check you feel true regret and maintain your values.  Like most WoD rolls it's expected for the storyteller to add modifiers based on how the player RPs the situation.  Like, one of our party stole a guy's wallet for no reason and explicitly didn't give a crap:  He got a -2 which meant basically no chance to pass (there was a slight chance of his conscience speaking up, I guess).

Thing is, now that he has 6 humanity instead of 7, he never has to roll degeneration for petty theft again.  He'd have to do grand theft, like burglary, or something worse like assault.  Most vampires stabilize at about 5 humanity apparently, where any amount of theft is okay but arson or manslaughter still worries their remaining conscience.

It's actually related to sanity because, every time a character loses humanity, they have to roll for "derangement".  If they can't keep it together, they get a psychological problem from their inner turmoil.  Typical example is vampires believing they hear the souls of their victims for several hours after feeding.  This can happen from particularly traumatic events too, though, like a character who nearly dies gains a phobia.  There's a long list of possible derangements, and it can be random or up to the storyteller.

Edit:  So in a nutshell:  WoD characters can go crazy from seeing traumatic things.  But if they get jaded and amoral, they become resistant.  Though vampires with high humanity get interesting benefits, if they can maintain it.  Regaining lost humanity costs a lot of experience points.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:19:00 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 11, 2016, 06:43:52 pm »

Eh. I mean, yea, when WoD first came out humanity was suppose to be one of the key stats, about trying to retain your humanity as you're an undead creature that eats people. But very son after, that stopped mattering. First book that comes to mind where that stopped mattering, is 'Dirt secrets of the black hand' that was released in '94, and VtM was released in '91. And I'm pretty sure it started before that book. It turned out, trying to balance your humanity with the your monstriacity ist what folks wanted from WoD. They just wanted to be vampire supers.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 131