Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183291 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1605 on: April 11, 2016, 07:47:22 am »

In case anyone didn't hear yet there's a third edition of unknown armies coming.
Huh. I was talking about it with a guy at a con the past weekend who was GMing a 2nd edition runequest game. It's funny how a lot of these things seem to pop up when I consider them semi topical. Or it might just be funny how often I talk about these things. Unfortunately, likely going to put this on the group of games I prolly have no hope of playing (no matter how much I want to).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:05 am »

2nd edition runequest

And now for the most important question.

Chaosium or Mongoose?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:36:28 am by Mephisto »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 11, 2016, 08:25:03 am »

Chaosium. Chaosium is republishing it by the way, I managed to win a copy at that table.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 11, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »

In case anyone didn't hear yet there's a third edition of unknown armies coming.

For anyone who is unaware, this is being made by Atlas Games, the creator of Feng Shui (1 & 2), Over the Edge, and the Gloom card game. They also did Ars Magica 5th edition.
It's also  being made by Greg Stolze, the creator of Unknown Armies, and other things.[/quote]

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 17, 2016, 07:28:53 pm »

I hope you fellas don't mind some shilling, but I'm GMing a Roll20 game of Chronicles of Darkness (New World of Darkness 2.0) down at Play With Your Buddies set during the Irish Potato Famine. If you're interested in playing, check it out here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 17, 2016, 08:04:03 pm »

For the uninitiated, could you give a run-down of what Chronicles of Darkness is, exactly?
I always get it confused with that vampire RPG. Unless it is that vampire RPG. I don't know. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 17, 2016, 08:07:17 pm »

It's the Vampire RPG, just the most recent edition.
It's New World of Darkness, mostly.

Edit:  And I'm very interested, but I can't commit right now...  I might sign up tomorrow though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 17, 2016, 08:16:13 pm »

For the uninitiated, could you give a run-down of what Chronicles of Darkness is, exactly?
I always get it confused with that vampire RPG. Unless it is that vampire RPG. I don't know. >.>
Basically what Rolan7 said. Gothic horror urban fantasy RPG, vampires werewolf demons wahey, the usual. This time it's set in Ireland during the mid-19th century.

@Rolan7: Great, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 18, 2016, 10:31:55 am »

OK, finally got my chance to start the Fate of the Urquan intro session.

Two players showed up. One was an "aspiring mad scientist" who had some sort of nanites that could deconstruct/build stuff as an Aspect, the other was a cyborg ninja delivery guy, with a cyber cat sidekick. Except that in the intro both were 12 year olds; so instead of nanites he had some sort of flying legos that kept running out of batteries, and the other guy wasn't a cyborg yet but he had a Tamagotchi tied to a remote control car.

They lived in the improvised colony of Unzervalt, and attended school. They were the oldest kids (the colony was only 12 years old also). I used the history school class to give some background exposition, then one of their classmates called "Jimmy Proton" (maybe not his real name), who looked and acted essentially like a more annoying version of Kyle's cousin from South Park, told them he had found a cave into the wossname research project (underground vault where kids weren't allowed) but that a huge monster scared him off, and he ran away. But only he knew the "coordinates" to the cave, and needed their help.

They haggled about what share of the "treasure" each would get. This was basically throwing larger and larger numbers which had no semblance to percentages, so they all agreed to sneak out of school. Mr. Mad Scientist Wannabe tried to use his "nanobots" to hack the teachers holo-projector, but they ran out of energy before reaching it (his skills were focused in biotech and not hacking or electronics or whatevs). So the Cat Kid (he hadn't thought of a name yet) tried to use his cat to pick up the nanobots (jury-rigging a sort of "snow plow" attachment from a ruler and some rubber bands using Robotics), but they made too much noise, the teacher noticed, asked who was doing so much racket, and they used Deceived to pin it on other kid, which made the teacher take him to the detention room or wossname.

With the way clear, they snuck out of the classroom, went with Jimmy to the mountain side (right where the guarded checkpoint or door to the archeological site), and he basically searched all on the side of the mountain trying to find the cave. In the end they arrived to a part of the wall with a very conspicuous cardboard sheet covering something. "I camouflaged it!".

They wanted to ditch him, but he said only he knew "the password" to get in. So they went in, and arrived to a medium sized cavern. The password was another piece of cardboard with a keypad drawn on it with magic marker, so they tore it down.

They were ambushed by three of some kind of porcupine-rabbits (the "huge monsters", really about the size of a labrador). One of them backstabbed Jimmy with a quill, and he fell face down on the floor yelling "agh, my allergies".

This started a conflict, with the kids using improvised weapons (cat guy had a "sword" made from circuit boards glued to a stick, the other threw rocks). First one went down almost immediately, then Mad kid started throwing rocks to another one, hitting it in the eye. So the critter got mad, picked up the rock with his fluffy paws and threw it back dealing some decent damage.

This went on for a couple more exchanges, until finally the critters went down or fled. They treated Jimmy with his medication (Mad had to search his pack and use Biotech to find out what meds to use, he ended up mixing a bunch of them. Fun stuff) He didn't feel so well so decided to go back home.

They kept going until they reached a huge cavern, they had to climb down but managed to make it easier by using notice to find a safer path, athletics to go down, using a jump rope to tie to each other. The cavern was full of scientists, there was ancient construction all over the place, and there were makeshift buildings all over (even on the cavern walls) made by the colonists.

They keep sneaking around reaching a tent where they spied a Professor Jules Farnsworth trying to hack into a Precursor AI computer (a sort of block of metal that changed between different shapes such as D&D dice), and moaning that he made no progress in the decade he had been trying.

The PCs found a small generator outside, they moved a few switches and made the lights and equipment in the tent short out. He ran out angry trying to find the "tech" that kept doing that joke on him, and they got inside.

Immediately, the computer started "playing" with them by changing shape, with the cyber cat, to the nanites, and asking if they wanted to play chess or Global Thermonuclear War on a screen that formed on the surface.

While they were distrated, the Professor returned and caught them, but rather than being mad kept asking how they did that. The computer asked if they wanted to "initialize" with a Windows yes/no dialog and he said "YES DO IT!" so the kids complied.

After this was mostly a long cutscene, where there was a sort of Earthquake, lots of robots started emerging and scaring people and knocking off buildings and picking crates of stuff. Long story short: professor was yelled at and threatened by Captain Burton, the de facto leader of the colony. In the end, she calmed down, saw that the robots were building something, Farnsworth took credit, let the kids come and go as they wanted to secretly help him with the AI, and 8 years later the construction stopped and made a half-completed but huge Precursor Tug. (pretty much the events of the videogame's manual intro).

This is more or less where we left it, so next session it's going to be Adult PCs and their adventures, In Space.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 18, 2016, 10:41:12 am »

Someone's running an awesome Steelheart-inspired Superhero FATE game. I'm so psyched, but it's being run online by amekou, so I can't really do it 'cos times.
It's rather sad really.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 25, 2016, 01:20:46 am »

I have a blog, which until now has housed a few Dominions 4 AARs. However, I'm now in a tabletop RPG based in the Dominions setting, it was suggested that I blog about it, so I'm doing so. If you're interested in that, here's the first post and here's the category, which will list all blog posts in this series.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 25, 2016, 04:37:56 am »

You've got a really nice writing style! I'll be following your blog.

Someone's running an awesome Steelheart-inspired Superhero FATE game. I'm so psyched, but it's being run online by amekou, so I can't really do it 'cos times.
It's rather sad really.
I'd be happy to run a similar style of game, FATE in a Steelheart-inspired universe, if there's interest and people are willing to put up with my fairly mediocre DMING.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: May 03, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »

So, I'm running a roleplay on Roll20. Everyone is having fun but the pace is slow, scenes dragging and suchlike. It seems to be rooted not in fiddling with the rules as I would expect but the actual roleplaying. I've noticed this with Roll20 games but not with IRC or realtime games, and I'm not sure what causes it.

Anyone have any tips on keeping up the pace in Roll20 and in roleplays in general?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: May 03, 2016, 05:19:22 pm »

So, I'm running a roleplay on Roll20. Everyone is having fun but the pace is slow, scenes dragging and suchlike. It seems to be rooted not in fiddling with the rules as I would expect but the actual roleplaying. I've noticed this with Roll20 games but not with IRC or realtime games, and I'm not sure what causes it.

Anyone have any tips on keeping up the pace in Roll20 and in roleplays in general?
Might it just be the particular players?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:14 pm »

I don't think so, I've had the same thing happen with multiple sets of players. Unless I keep picking very wordy players.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 131