Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183243 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1755 on: July 27, 2016, 03:34:30 pm »

Well depending how new they are playing something simple and beer-filled is an easy way to pique interest.
Makes the group bond a lot better for future sessions too.

One of my best memories was a pseudo-stranger group made up of friends-of-friends, the GM kept trying to get RP going but it never got of the ground. One week the GM says we're going to have a late session. We're all cool with it so we turn up at 7 to munchkin and shots.
Never had a problem after that. Once you've screamed at a fellow player "I'M A HAEMAPHRODIDIC DWELF AND YOU CAN KISS MY SLEEK HAIRY ASS", everything else is no longer daunting.

But if I've heard right 5e is prett kick-down-door-ish, so will probably be fine.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 27, 2016, 07:39:24 pm »

A lot of people have probably seen this already, but Humble Bundle has what looks like a lot of Vampire: The Masquerade books in the latest books bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle (ending something like the 11th of August)
  • $1: VtM: revised edition and five clanbooks
  • $8: Storyteller's handbook, more clanbooks, Guide to Sabbat, The Book of Nod
  • $15: Mind's Eye Theatre, yet more clanbooks, mystery box
  • $33: fancy pants pins
Can anyone who's actually played VtM weigh in on what sort of deal this is?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:06 pm »

We just finished up a scenario, of about 3 sessions, of The Secrets of Cats, where the players play as cats which secretly use magic to protect their humans from eldritch forces that they cannot perceive. It was an interesting game, there were several things the players usually take for granted but that they weren't able to do (no opposable thumbs, or the ability to read) so they had to do cat stuff mostly. But they also had magical skills such as Warding, Seeking, Shaping and Naming.

After that, next session we go back to Star Control. Time to start writing some sort of scenario. Hopefully it'll be more focused if we go less open world and more "adventure module" style.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:22 pm »

We just finished up a scenario, of about 3 sessions, of The Secrets of Cats, where the players play as cats which secretly use magic to protect their humans from eldritch forces that they cannot perceive.

this sounds wonderful
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 14, 2016, 10:54:28 pm »

We just finished up a scenario, of about 3 sessions, of The Secrets of Cats, where the players play as cats which secretly use magic to protect their humans from eldritch forces that they cannot perceive.

this sounds wonderful

Cat magic is usually fueled by killing a small animal and then hiding it in a shoe or something. 8)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: August 29, 2016, 09:16:38 am »

So thought of an interesting character concept

Thon GoldSkull, cleric specializing in "prepaid resurrections"

Basically, some spoiled noble brat wants to do something dangerous like a duel to the death or autoerotic asphyxiation so he pays good ol' Thon (half in advance) to be around in case things don't go his way.
All the fun, none o the consequences!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 29, 2016, 09:56:42 am »

That's an interesting read, although it really doesn't make any sense, economically, logistically, and even the base premises of killing oneself to avoid danger.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 29, 2016, 10:02:49 am »

I said relevant, not practical. :P

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1764 on: August 29, 2016, 11:15:44 am »

That's an interesting read, although it really doesn't make any sense, economically, logistically, and even the base premises of killing oneself to avoid danger.
Yeah it doesn't make any god damn sense. How are you safer if you're all dead? Not to mention you can't travel!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 29, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »

Also what's to stop bandits from literally stealing all of the gear from your cold corpses.
As well as now you've only got a couple of 3rd level clerics between you and the hereafter.

I mean, yeah, relevant, not practical.

Also relevant
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 29, 2016, 03:35:23 pm »

Stealing the gear is the least bad consequence though, because once you get robbed your slowly rotting corpse (gentle repose only slows rotting, right?) will be lying in a ditch somewhere with nobody knowing where it is or being able to get to it (and not even knowing it is missing to begin with because you're not supposed to get to town for another two weeks!).

At least if you were alive you would be able to try to run away if shit hits the fan.
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 29, 2016, 11:28:50 pm »

Why would you murder yourself and risk someone not bringing you back when you can just have a 9th level wizard Teleport you wherever you need to go? Book price for a Teleport spell is 450gp which is close enough to the cost of the weird death-travel thingy listed that it's simply not worth the hassle, and gets you there instantly, no wait involved.

Seriously, by any logical measure all trade in high cost goods is going to be conducted via teleportation magic. Size and quantity also isn't an issue with Bags of Holding and Portable Holes being things that are fairly common. Same day delivery over 900 miles, or further for multiple castings.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 29, 2016, 11:39:40 pm »

Yeah... the supposed benefit of being less-robbable is dubious to say the least.
The only benefits I see are saving money on provisions, and I guess having a nice time in the afterlife during the trip.  For several hundred gold.  That would buy a lot of creature comforts in life, even on a boat or convoy.

Also I assume the "lose a level or HD on being raised" rule stopped being a thing in whatever edition they're using.

And listing the effects of "cure disease" as a valuable benefit...  just lol
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 30, 2016, 12:23:41 am »

I think any discussion about the state of a D&D world economy is swiftly going to descend down a rabbit-hole of madness and illogical conclusions. A book standard CR 1/3 goblin carries 54 gp in equipment alone (short sword, short bow, 20 arrows, leather armor, light wooden shield), about a year and a half of wealth for a standard untrained laborer. Why anyone works at a trade instead of just hunting for a lone goblin once a year is beyond me.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 131